Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Lasik Eye Surgery

Anybody had it done or know someone who has? How was your vision after compared to before? Would you recommend it? Was the procedure painful/uncomfortable?

Thinking about looking into this for the summer time if I'm able to afford it.

Blu Ray

Default Re: Lasik Eye Surgery

I had a friend who had it done. There's always a risk with any procedure and you hear horror stories but he experienced no problems and now has above "perfect" vision.

I've been thinking about getting it done as well. Isn't like a couple grand an eye? I can do that.

Decent college freshman tian820's Avatar

I've kinda thought about getting it too, but I think I'll just wait until I'm older.

You could probably find better info browsing the web, but I do remember one of my friends' mom got it when I was younger. This was quite a few years ago, but after the procedure she had to keep her eyes away from light for a few days (maybe a week or two?) and put drops in to prevent irritation. This was a while ago so the details are a bit hazy, but all that stuff is pretty crucial to keep in line with because of how sensitive your eyes are.

Lasik's a pretty pricey procedure too. That's kind of why I'm pushing it off if I'm gonna do it at all. You hear all the time that athletes do it though and it helps out their game quite a bit. Could be that it helps your eyesight, but might just be a psychological thing at the same time

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by tian820
    I've kinda thought about getting it too, but I think I'll just wait until I'm older.

You could probably find better info browsing the web, but I do remember one of my friends' mom got it when I was younger. This was quite a few years ago, but after the procedure she had to keep her eyes away from light for a few days (maybe a week or two?) and put drops in to prevent irritation. This was a while ago so the details are a bit hazy, but all that stuff is pretty crucial to keep in line with because of how sensitive your eyes are.

Lasik's a pretty pricey procedure too. That's kind of why I'm pushing it off if I'm gonna do it at all. You hear all the time that athletes do it though and it helps out their game quite a bit. Could be that it helps your eyesight, but might just be a psychological thing at the same time
    You lost me here. Bad eyesight can possibly be a neurological problem rather than physical?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Anybody had it done or know someone who has? How was your vision after compared to before? Would you recommend it? Was the procedure painful/uncomfortable?

I looked into it a few months ago, Lasik MD was advertising it as $490/eye. Came in for a free consultation, the price they gave me was around $3000. Didn't get the surgery, but I'm still considering doing it sometime in the future.

All I know is that my friend who is an educated optician (but not in that business) greatly discourages it.

Apparently your vision can never be corrected as good as with glasses/lenses through surgery, it's a temporary fix only and there is always the chance something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246

Had Lasik Intralase Wavefront.

Intralase means the flap will be cut aside by the laser and not by a knife.

Wavefront means a special procedure where you will have less dificulties with lights at night.

The procedure was not painfull. It took 4 minutes for each eye. And since it is Lasik and not Lasek you will be healed in less than 7 hours.

However the first 7 hours were a nightmare, as my eyes burned like somebody was throwing sand and shampoo in my eyes while i kept them wide open to the sun and couldn't close them. Yes for real, it hurts like a *****.

However even if i had that pain for 1 week i would still do it. It is totally damn worth it.

And my vision is excellent just as when i was wearing contacts.

@LLJ most clinics give you a 15 year warranty. If your vision gives you troubles you go to them and they will do the surgey again. I knew a family friend who's sight started going backwards after 10 years. He went to the Clinic, they did the surgery again and got another 15 years.
    Last edited by Andrei89; 01-23-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    You lost me here. Bad eyesight can possibly be a neurological problem rather than physical?
    Gotta assume the athletes wear contacts otherwise, right? I don't know about them and I guess I don't have the experience of having lasik, but wearing contacts while playing sports, I don't really find it bothersome and my vision is fine (technically better than "perfect vision", or at least that what the doctors say) with contacts in.

Blu Ray

I don't think you can wear contacts that provide better than perfect vision. And I don't know how that's achieved through LASIK either, but I know It's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    I don't think you can wear contacts that provide better than perfect vision. And I don't know how that's achieved through LASIK either, but I know It's possible.
    They do it so that each eye is capable of 20/15 vision, which is supposed to be better than 20/20. Whether it's true or not, can't say. Just a messenger here

Gotta assume the athletes wear contacts otherwise, right? I don't know about them and I guess I don't have the experience of having lasik, but wearing contacts while playing sports, I don't really find it bothersome and my vision is fine (technically better than "perfect vision", or at least that what the doctors say) with contacts in.
    Contacts are a pain and are bad for your eyes.

Consider Laser surgery and contacts like a car and a plane.

Everybody is more afraid of flying because of the horrible accident you might get, although the chances of dying in a car are much bigger and the plane would get you to your destination faster.

Lenses are bad for your eyes because of the fact your eyes cannot breathe correctly. Not to mention the pain in the ass of putting them in your eyes every morning and taking them out every night especially when you come home drunk as hell and you just wannna jump in bed and pass out.

You must make sure you clean your lenses correctly otherwise you might pickup an infection that could damage your eye and not too mention all of au sudden at 3 pm I am at school and my lens starts moving and bothering my eye.

U got the money? Get the Lasik and be rid of glasses or contacts. Nothing will happen to you

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    I looked into it a few months ago, Lasik MD was advertising it as $490/eye. Came in for a free consultation, the price they gave me was around $3000. Didn't get the surgery, but I'm still considering doing it sometime in the future.
    Could you detail how it went from (basically) $500 dollars per eye (so a total of $1000) to $3000? How were they going to charge you an extra $2000?

Blu Ray

They do it so that each eye is capable of 20/15 vision, which is supposed to be better than 20/20. Whether it's true or not, can't say. Just a messenger here
    If they had contacts that could provide better than perfect vision, trust me I would've payed whatever money it took to get them. And I've heard the better than perfect thing a million times, most recently on the radio when they were talking about sports and cheating. They brought up Tiger and his LASIK surgery.

From everything I've seenits about 2500 around here. My cousin had it done in florida for about half that but I'm not on speaking terms with him to ask advice. And yeah my mom got the surgery when it was with a knife and she was just told she needs glasses now about 15 years later. Eye doctor told her its best to get lasik when you're young to get use out of it because it can't fight what age does to your eyes. That's why I'm thinking about it now.

I'll just say there's a pretty good variety of contacts now too. Not just the two week ones where you have to remove them daily. I've got monthly ones where you can sleep in them and just need to change them once every 30 days. It definitely feels different when I don't have them in, but my eyes are adjusted after having them in for so long.

Back to the OP though, I'd just go in for a free consultation somewhere and you'd get much better information that way. Even if it's $10 or whatever for a visit, that's still well worth it if you really are considering doing it sometime soon