Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: #51 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Voting for CP3 at this stage of his career would be like calling Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill a top 50 player of all-time in 1998 or calling Tracy McGrady a top 50 player of all-time in 2005.

i.e. Too early.

He lost by one vote last time. Again, the player Magic Johnson called one of the top 5 or 10 playoff performers in history.

Big Game James Worthy.

College superstar

Am I missing something? I'm shocked that I haven't seen anyone mention Jerry Lucas at all.

Rodman at 50?

I still say it's between Greer and Allen. Both had good longevity, both were good teammates, and both were capable of keeping a team intact. I vote Greer due to the fact Greer probably had a more complete game than Allen imo

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Can't believe Pierce & Rodman got in ahead of Dwight Howard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Can't believe Pierce & Rodman got in ahead of Dwight Howard.
    Seeing that you tried to vote in Rodman over Pierce at #48, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Seeing that you tried to vote in Rodman over Pierce at #48, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

I'll admit, I didn't want Pierce to win so I changed my vote to Rodman.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Voting for CP3 at this stage of his career would be like calling Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill a top 50 player of all-time in 1998 or calling Tracy McGrady a top 50 player of all-time in 2005.

i.e. Too early.
    Those guys weren't as accomplished as Paul is by their 7th seasons. Paul has a ROY, 2 assist titles, 4 steals titles, led the league in total steals in every full season so far, was 2nd, 3rd, and 5th in MVP voting, had some of the best seasons for a PG, has had great playoff series, and almost led the Clippers to their first division title. Mac, Hill, and Penny combined, won two scoring titles, and 1 ROY by their 7th seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Those guys weren't as accomplished as Paul is by their 7th seasons. Paul has a ROY, 2 assist titles, 4 steals titles, led the league in total steals in every full season so far, was 2nd, 3rd, and 5th in MVP voting, had some of the best seasons for a PG, has had great playoff series, and almost led the Clippers to their first division title. Mac, Hill, and Penny combined, won two scoring titles, and 1 ROY by their 7th seasons.
    How quick you are to forget (or maybe you never knew in the first place?).

In their first 7 NBA seasons, Hill, Penny and TMac were all superstars regarded as some of the elite players in the League.

Check it out for yourself. Here are their statistics and major awards after 7 seasons in the NBA:

Chris Paul: 18.8ppg, 4.5rpg, 9.8apg, 2.4spg, .472 FG%, .854 FT% (5 x All-Star, 2 x All-NBA 1st Team, 1 x All-NBA 2nd Team, 2 x All-NBA 3rd Team)

Grant Hill: 21.5ppg, 7.8rpg, 6.3apg, 1.6spg, .476 FG%, .746 FT% (6 x All-Star, 1 x All-NBA 1st Team, 4 x All-NBA 2nd Team)

Penny Hardaway: 18.7ppg, 4.9rpg, 6.2apg, 1.9spg, .473 FG%, .769 FT% (4 x All-Star, 2 x All-NBA 1st Team, 1 x All-NBA 2nd Team)

Tracy McGrady: 21.4ppg, 6.4rpg, 4.1apg, 1.3apg, .447 FG%, .756 FT% (4 x All-Star, 2 x All-NBA 1st Team, 2 x All-NBA 2nd Team)

Also, while Paul's MVP finishes are impressive, you need to consider this:

- Grant Hill finished 3rd in MVP voting (behind Karl Malone and Michael Jordan) in just his third season in the League.

- Penny Hardaway finished 3rd in MVP voting (behind Michael Jordan and David Robinson) in just his third season in the League.

- Tracy McGrady finished 4th in MVP voting a couple of times before he'd turned 23 years of age.

So yeah, not sure why you think Chris Paul is so much better after 7 seasons than Hill, Penny or TMac were at the same stage of their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    How quick you are to forget (or maybe you never knew in the first place?).

In their first 7 NBA seasons, Hill, Penny and TMac were all superstars regarded as some of the elite players in the League.

Check it out for yourself. Here are their statistics and major awards after 7 seasons in the NBA:

Chris Paul: 18.8ppg, 4.5rpg, 9.8apg, 2.4spg, .472 FG%, .854 FT% (5 x All-Star, 2 x All-NBA 1st Team, 1 x All-NBA 2nd Team, 2 x All-NBA 3rd Team)

Grant Hill: 21.5ppg, 7.8rpg, 6.3apg, 1.6spg, .476 FG%, .746 FT% (6 x All-Star, 1 x All-NBA 1st Team, 4 x All-NBA 2nd Team)

Penny Hardaway: 18.7ppg, 4.9rpg, 6.2apg, 1.9spg, .473 FG%, .769 FT% (4 x All-Star, 2 x All-NBA 1st Team, 1 x All-NBA 2nd Team)

Tracy McGrady: 21.4ppg, 6.4rpg, 4.1apg, 1.3apg, .447 FG%, .756 FT% (4 x All-Star, 2 x All-NBA 1st Team, 2 x All-NBA 2nd Team)
    I didn't say that they weren't superstars, I said they weren't as accomplished as Paul was by their 7th seasons, especially when you factor in the fact that CP3 is statistically better and has more individual accolades.

I didn't say that they weren't superstars, I said they weren't as accomplished as Paul was by their 7th seasons, especially when you factor in the fact that CP3 is statistically better and has more individual accolades.
    That's not true though.

Statistically, it's a toss-up. Tracy McGrady probably had the best single season while Grant Hill's around stats are very impressive. No doubt Chris Paul is excellent statistically too, but it's debatable that he's better than the aforementioned players. Meanwhile, in terms of accolades, I've just shown that all 4 players are remarkably similar in that regard.

I think maybe you were too young to remember Penny and Grant Hill back in the 1990s....

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Chris Paul.

Just turned 27.

Runner up MVP in a very close 2008 MVP voting race (the closest race of the 2000s so far)

2x All-NBA First Team...which was hard to get with today's guard heavy league.

1x All-NBA Second Team

1x All-NBA Third Team

Ray Allen