Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default Better Player: Scottie Pippen or John Havlicek?

Who do you think was better, and why?

Default Re: Better Player: Scottie Pippen or John Havlicek?

Id take Pippen, but as of right now i dont have any stats/facts to back me up

Banned

Scottie, and it really isn't close. Havlicek is quite overrated. People for whatever reason have him in the top 20-25 range but he should honestly be in the 30-35 range.

Pippen

Best perimeter defender of all time.. One of the best all around player that ever play the game of basketball.. Absolutely no weakness at all..

Career wise, HONDO. Peak wise HONDO! Pip was a beast and frankly combined traits of Hondo with the size and freakish athletic ability of Dr.J. But I think Hondo was a better number one option than Pippen. While also being a point forward type, great defender, and great rebounder for a SF. Hondo was in my book the first EPIC ALL AROUND SF in terms of being a great scorer, great passer, great rebounder, and great defender all in one. He set the tone that guys like Pip, Hill, and Bron would follow later. And considering he was 6'5 or 6'6 and a swingman, he even sort of set the tone for bigger SG's like MJ, Kobe, and Drexler in that regard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Career wise, HONDO. Peak wise HONDO! Pip was a beast and frankly combined traits of Hondo with the size and freakish athletic ability of Dr.J. But I think Hondo was a better number one option than Pippen. While also being a point forward type, great defender, and great rebounder for a SF. Hondo was in my book the first EPIC ALL AROUND SF in terms of being a great scorer, great passer, great rebounder, and great defender all in one. He set the tone that guys like Pip, Hill, and Bron would follow later. And considering he was 6'5 or 6'6 and a swingman, he even sort of set the tone for bigger SG's like MJ, Kobe, and Drexler in that regard as well.
    Just to say if he was being listed today it'd be more like 6'7 or 6'8

College star

Havlicek.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Just to say if he was being listed today it'd be more like 6'7 or 6'8
    Yes he would indeed. The heights back in the day were more legit than today. In comparison to other legendary SF's in the 60's and 70's like Barry or a SF-PF type like Baylor or Hawkins, Hondo just seemed to have the total package on both sides of the court to standout. Not saying peak value wise he's better than them, but his career resume is what vaults Hondo past them in that top 3-4 GOAT SF realm.
    Last edited by bizil; 09-20-2012 at 03:41 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Havlicek was never really an alpha dog, he just had crazy longevity. I'll take a peak Rick Barry or Walt Frazier over Hondo anyday & some might not know this, but Dave Cowens was actually Boston's best player during those two championship seasons in the 70's.

As far Hondo vs Pippen... I really don't know. They are in the same category, but I would want Pippen on my team.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Havlicek was never really an alpha dog

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    Cowens > Havlicek in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Havlicek was never really an alpha dog, he just had crazy longevity. I'll take a peak Rick Barry or Walt Frazier over Hondo anyday & some might not know this, but Dave Cowens was actually Boston's best player during those two championship seasons in the 70's.

As far Hondo vs Pippen... I really don't know. They are in the same category, but I would want Pippen on my team.
    Hondo's career resume dictates that he's rated over Barry or Frazier GOAT wise. Now peak value wise is a different argument. In terms of being an alpha dog, I feel Hondo was indeed an alpha dog. He just wasn't on the level of Barry or Baylor that came before him in that regard. Or later Bird or Dr. J If u racking up 28.9 points in season as well as 27.5 points, then u gotta have alpha dog stuff. Hondo was MUCH more of an alpha dog than Pip ever was that's for sure.

It's common knowledge Big Dave was the man in the 70's. Hondo, while still an elite SF, was on the downside of his career. I think it was pretty common knowledge who the number one guy was. But still, Hondo was the leading scorer on that '74 title team.

When comparing players in different eras, ultimately it can be hard. But I feel Hondo dominated his era more than Pippen did on an individual level. U had many legendary SF's, swingmen, or SF-PF type players in Hondo's era. His total all around skills combined with his scoring made him standout. In terms of peak value, I would take Baylor and Barry over Hondo SF wise. U even had guys like Hawkins and Cunnigham who were awesome. But it's Hondo's resume that vaults him past all these SF's GOAT wise.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    If u racking up 28.9 points in season as well as 27.5 points, then u gotta have alpha dog stuff.
    He played 45 MPG & was on a team that played at a much faster pace than a normal team in today's NBA. Not saying that averaging 28 ppg isn't impressive because it is, just saying it is not as impressive as the numbers suggest. Overall, Hondo was never really an elite scorer.

I do agree with you that Hondo did dominate his era more than Pippen did to his era and that might make me rank Hondo ahead of Pippen on an all-time list, but I still would rather have Pippen on my team.

60% of ISH posters never watched Pippen play (forget about Havlicek).

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Scottie, and it really isn't close. Havlicek is quite overrated. People for whatever reason have him in the top 20-25 range but he should honestly be in the 30-35 range.

Big difference