Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Why does Shaq only have 1 MVP?

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Shaq should have 3. 2000, 2001, 2005.
    Why '05? Nash took a team that weren't in the playoffs the previous season (unlike Miami) and got them to 1st place in the league. If that isn't MVP worthy then I don't know what is?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Why '05? Nash took a team that weren't in the playoffs the previous season (unlike Miami) and got them to 1st place in the league. If that isn't MVP worthy then I don't know what is?
    what year is this?

next thing you know your gonna say "ya rose deserved it in 2011!"

not much for hindsight are ya?

Good High School Starter Ken_Masters's Avatar

I agree that shaq should have at least won mvp for how he turned Miami into instant title contenders the moment he stepped foot in south beach. Heck during shaqs prime you could stick him on a team with any other decent player and they would be instant contenders. How did orlando shaq miss out on mvps? Statistically he was an animal even back then

Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

Shaq hated the regular season. He would find any excuse to prolong injury rest time, or miss games, and chill.

He was famous for his "turn on the switch when it matters" type of quotes, referring to the playoffs.

Also stuff like "I got injured on company time, I will heal on company time" as his excuse for missing a bunch of laker games in the reg season.

Lastly, he was robbed in 2004-2005 with that dumb Nash MVP. Shaq should have won it, but came in as runner up I think. Nash didn't deserve 2 in a row.

That's why he only won 1.

Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

Nash is an overrated system player. He owes his success to D'Antoni's style that suited him perfectly.

Meanwhile, take prime Shaq, and place him literally on any team in the league, with any coach, and he carries them deep.

High School Starter

What a lot of ppl don't know is that amare played much better in 05 and missed a third of the 04 season also pheonix added Joe Johnson in 05 who had a 17 and 5 season so no it wasn't all Nash coming to pheonix that made them better, on a sidenote Dallas got better after Nash left so that logic is flawed

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

MVP Does NOT = Best Player

Its Just "The Best Player On The Team That Wins The Most".

Today Atleast.

It Should Be:

-Best Player On The Team That Wins The Most With The Least Amount of Help. That Should Be The Leagues MVP

Shaq WAS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST PLAYER OF THE LATE 90s and EARLY 00s

He missed a lot of games.

The only other cases he has is in 01 and 05. He should have won it in 01 and Nash probably deserved the 05 one. Made a bigger turnaround with his team, and put on some of the best passing displays since back in the 80's Lakers and Celtics days with Bird and Magic.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I credit D'Antoni more for that improvement, as well as roster improvements all around. Nash was a huge part and I do think he was worthy as a candidate for MVP, but I don't agree with him as MVP.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by air mamba
    malone took his mvp award from 1999 and iverson managed to nab one while he was busy bullying kobe.
    Laker were 4th seed in the West that season and only tied the 4th seed Hawks of the east. If anything, Malone stole that MVP from Duncan.

Shaq didn't deserve the MVP in 2004-2005. Wade was the better player in the regular season and playoffs, especially playoffs.

24\7\6 as a second year player is more impressive than
    22\10\2 as a veteran dominant center.

He deserved it in 2000-2001 over Allen Iverson tho.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    He usually had a top 5 player next to him during his most dominant runs

In 01 he didn't get it because he played with Kobe, and AI was leading a #1 team w/o another elite player.

The criteria changes ever year, it's crazy. How many MVPS would Tim Duncan have every time he put up 20 & 10 and led a team to 50 + wins like when the Award was given to Nash 2 years in a row while putting up equivalent numbers for a point guard. Steve Nash has more MVPS than Shaq..doesn't seem right

The criteria DOES change every year.And its a media,popularity,biased vote at that.

Some years it's best player,other most valuable player for a team,others teams best player with top record,others what makes a feel good story,others whos most popular or well liked at the time.

If the criteria was the same either DRose would not have the MVP in 2011 and Durant or LeBron would,or it would have been given to Dirk.
    In 2009 Wade was best player and most valuable,it just so happened his team record wasnt great and Kobes and LeBrons were along with stats not being that too far apart.

In 2011 they gave it to Rose bc of num 1 record,voter fatigue for LeBron,and Rose was the feel good story,most well liked and LeBron was media and public enemy num 1.

If the criteria stayed the same every year,not some arbitrary reason thats the standard that year to give it to who the media wants to that year,

Wilt would have more MVPS,Shaq would have at least 3,DWADE would have at least 2,Nash would not have 2 MVPS,rOSE WOULD NOT HAVE WON IN 2011.

But seemingly every year the MVP award and the Defensive player of the year award have different reasons every year.
    One year Dwight wins D Mvp and is All D 1st team,and team has one of best records,
    the other Chandler wins and is NOT even All D 1st Team and team doesnt have even top 6 record.

Somehow those two awards change reasons why EVERY SINGLE Year.And bc its a media vote,its entirely popularity based,
    its why Since 2008 Kobe has made all D 1st Several Times and has been on the all-d team almost every single year or how when LeBron won MVP this year it was near unanimous except for some media favoring and being Biased towards Carmelo.

You cant take MVPS and Defensive MVPS as Fact and Truth bc theyre entirely popularity based.Even when they were voted on by coaches,gms,players it was still a popularity contest,biased opinion.

Its how when the gms were surveyed said
    KD,Curry,PG are better SG than Wade.Or how some belive DRose is best player.Or how alot still believe Kobes "clutch" when facts show otherwise.

A media driven,popularity,opinion biased award will always have faults due to the criteria and it always changing and due to media bias,whatever they feel like will win the award it does.

3-time NBA All-Star

Didn't play enough games. He only played more then 70 games in 93, 94, 95, 00, 01, 05, and 09. In 93, he was a rookie, and in 09 he was too old, and in both cases he wasn't an MVP player, so take those out. Hakeem clearly deserved it over him in 94. Robinson deserved it over him in 95. So really that leaves 01 and 05. You could say he deserved it in both years, but in 01, his team fell significantly short of expectations and took a significant step back from the year before in the regular season. The MVP voting process seems to greatly frown upon those things, and praises what AI's team did which was pretty much the opposite. In 05, I don't know, I guess people thought Nash and Shaq were on the same level, and I'd guess that since Nash played more games and his team won more games, he won it.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    why does shaq only have 1 mvp?

how about

why does kobe bryant only have 1 mvp?
    why does oscar robertson only have 1 mvp?
    why does hakeem olajuwon only have 1 mvp?
    why does babe ruth only have 1 mvp?
    why does ken griffey jr only have 1 mvp?
    why does hank aaron only have 1 mvp?
    why does sammy sosa only have 1 mvp?
    why does maurice richard only have 1 mvp?
    why does dan marino only have 1 mvp?
    why does jon elway only have 1 mvp?
    why does barry sanders only have 1 mvp?

why do guys like steve nash have more mvp's than all these guys?

why does derrick rose have as many mvps as these guys?

i'l tell ya why.. because voters are f*cking idiots. the award is opinion and not anything real a person can "win" because there is no criteria and its all about who the guy voting thinks is cute on his bedroom wall

theres heavy amounts of hatred and love that goes into who they pick.

jealousy and envy

idiocy

.. you name it...

all i know is

4 guys who can arguably go down as the greatest basketball/baseball/football and hockey players ever... have 1 mvp

- maurice richard
    - babe ruth
    - barry sanders
    - kobe bryant

Gretzky is GOAT,not even arguably he is or has the most for it.

Kobe Bryant with all due respect,great player one of the goats will NEVER have a Case for GOAT over
    Russell,Wilt,Jordan,Kareem.

Barry Sanders,yeah he definitely has a case but with Football,the game,awards,hype is mostly always on the qbs,regardless of what anybody does.Thats why when people mention goat,its almost always qbs or whoevers "hot" and "the story" at the moment.

Baseball
    the majority of everybody think Ruth is the GOAT similar to how a lot of people believe ALI is GOAT
    media bias plays a huge part in MVP or best voting though

Manny Pacquiao was named Fighter of the Decade by media even though he has absolutely 0,ZERO Case over Floyd Mayweather,even judging accomplishments,fights won,caliber of fighters,MP has 0 case yet
    Public Enemy Num 1 against Media Hyped,Loved,Praised Fighter
    hmm who do they vote for?.

The MVP has always been a popularity contest.Whoever the media is in love with and wants to be MVP or Best deemed is who they pick,regardless of stats,accomplishments or anything.

big men aren't flashy. gotta be a 1/2/3 to get an mvp most the time