Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: espn calls kobe most overpaid. jim buss calls espn a collection of uneducated clowns

People don't understand that the money he gets now is crazy!!

Not as good as he was homers!

High School Starter

Default Re: espn calls kobe most overpaid. jim buss calls espn a collection of uneducated clowns

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    so ... 1st team all nba isnt worthy of a max contract?
    are you still peddling the delusion that he actually deserved that accolade

ESPN's agenda against Kobe continues

The guy who put up 27/6/5 last year is the most overpaid player in the league? How about Amare, who gets paid $100,000,000 to sit on the bench in street clothes? Or Joe Johnson? Gilbert Arenas, who isn't even in the ****ing league? Oh yeah, and how about Rashard Lewis and Jeremy Lin?

ESPN is a joke
    Last edited by Heavincent; 10-27-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    he's not the most overpaid. but definitely is overpaid. you could justify the salary in his prime. but not now.

did you even read my original post?

kobe should realistically deserve 80-100 mill a year just based on his brand alone

he makes the lakers franchise close to a billion dollars a season

theyre filthy stinking rich cause kobe is one of the top 5 names in the world

but like i said.. he earned his pay raises like everyone else. and his level of production hasnt dropped off

2007-08 $19,490,625 1st team all nba - 28/6/5
    2008-09 $21,262,500 1st team all nba - 27/5/5
    2009-10 $23,034,375 1st team all nba - 27/5/5
    2010-11 $24,806,250 1st team all nba - 25/5/5
    2011-12 $25,244,493 1st team all nba - 28/5/5
    2012-13 $27,849,149 1st team all nba - 27/5/6

if hes still making 1st team all nba's and battling for scoring titles with good efficiency.. i dont see any realistic reason for him to take a pay cut

infact. last year was one of his most efficient seasons

people forget that with nba salaries. most of the bottom end of contracts are making up for being underpaid earlier on in their careers

for instance.. look at the other years of kobes salaries

1997-98 $1,167,240 ( all nba 3rd team ) underpaid 9 million -10 mill value
    1998-99 $1,319,000 ( all nba 2nd team ) underpaid 9 million -10 mill value
    1999-00 $9,000,000 ( all nba 2nd team ) underpaid 6 million - 15 mill value
    2000-01 $10,130,000 ( all nba 2nd team) underpaid 10 million -20 mill value
    2001-02 $11,250,000 ( all nba 1st team ) underpaid 9 million - 20 mill value
    2002-03 $12,375,000 ( all nba 1st team) underpaid 13 million - 25mill value
    2003-04 $13,500,000 ( all nba 1st team) underpaid 12 million -25 mill value
    2004-05 $14,175,000 ( all nba 3rd team ) underpaid 6 million - 20 mill value
    2005-06 $15,946,875 ( all nba 1st team) underpaid 15 million -30 mill value
    2006-07 $17,718,750 ( all nba 1st team) underpaid 13 million- 30 mill value

so you see how its impossible for kobe to be overpaid.. infact. the lakers making billions every year off kobes name... kobe is probably owed theoretically around half..

and almost 20 years of that. you can imagine what thats like

High School Starter

did you even read my original post?

and almost 20 years of that. you can imagine what thats like
    Look I don't think that anyone would argue that from a total standpoint kobe is worth just about anything the lakers could give him: he brings in a huge amount of money for them. Also, he is obviously not the most overpaid player in the league from a basketball standpoint (arenas).

However from a basketball standpoint, in my opinion that 30 mill could be spent elsewhere much more profitably than on a player who a) doesn't play defense and b) destroyed the chemistry of a supremely talented team for the second time in his career (2004) in some misguided attempt to be the alpha dog on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    Look I don't think that anyone would argue that from a total standpoint kobe is worth just about anything the lakers could give him: he brings in a huge amount of money for them. Also, he is obviously not the most overpaid player in the league from a basketball standpoint (arenas).

However from a basketball standpoint, in my opinion that 30 mill could be spent elsewhere much more profitably than on a player who a) doesn't play defense and b) destroyed the chemistry of a supremely talented team for the second time in his career (2004) in some misguided attempt to be the alpha dog on the team.
    Are you seriously implying that Dwight ****ing Howard should have been the "alpha dog"?

Howard destroyed the chemistry, just like he did in Orlando.

College star

Finally ESPN got something right.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Are you seriously implying that Dwight ****ing Howard should have been the "alpha dog"?

Howard destroyed the chemistry, just like he did in Orlando.
    No. I'm saying they should have played as a team rather than playing kobe-ball. The bigs in general should have gotten way more touches last year.
    Last edited by Unbiased_one; 10-27-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    No. I'm saying they should have playeda s a team rather than playing kobe-ball. The bigs in general should have gotten way more touches last year.
    Why should Howard get more touches in the post? Doesn't make any sense.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    jim buss calls espn a collection of uneducated clowns

I can remember when Jeff used to ban people for making up quotes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    I can remember when Jeff used to ban people for making up quotes
    where did i quote someone. theres neither quotation marks nore a quote box

you on the other hand did make it an official quote by someone named OP

am i to assume OP means original poster?

i dunno. how do i know you're not misquoting some poster named OP with a quote that never happened

i dunno if you should be banned for making up things

could it be a rule violation to make up terms of use or rules violations that dont exist? i haven't a clue. i'm just asking questions!

Banned

eh the NBA is a business, regardless of the fact that he isn't likely to lead them to a championship on his own these days he will still bring in more revenue for the lakers than they would letting him go.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Well they are not talking about the same thing really. The ESPN guys do not need to take into consideration Kobe's off court marketing value and etc, they are purely talking about salary to on court production.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
    Well they are not talking about the same thing really. The ESPN guys do not need to take into consideration Kobe's off court marketing value and etc, they are purely talking about salary to on court production.

ok.. throw out his marketing value

throw out his overdue owings from earlier in his career getting underpaid

throw out his earned raises from sticking with the same team for 18 years

just purely based on a year to year salary for production

what is a max contract to you?

if a 1st team all nba top 3 player with 27/6/5 on 47% fg's isnt a max contract player. then who is?

why would there be a max contract if nobodies worthy of one?

unless someone thinks the measuring stick to judge all other contracts is by a player who came in the league 8 years after him and took a pay cut to ring chase

judging kobes contract based on lebrons makes absolutely no sense

i'd rather judge it based on a comparison with a similar situation.

like michael jordan in 1997 and 1998. and kobes stats are right on par with his. nobody said he was overpaid.

so neither is kobe

again..based on production?... kobe is one of the most productive players in the league

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

ok.. throw out his marketing value

throw out his overdue owings from earlier in his career getting underpaid

throw out his earned raises from sticking with the same team for 18 years

just purely based on a year to year salary for production

what is a max contract to you?

if a 1st team all nba top 3 player with 27/6/5 on 47% fg's isnt a max contract player. then who is?

why would there be a max contract if nobodies worthy of one?

unless someone thinks the measuring stick to judge all other contracts is by a player who came in the league 8 years after him and took a pay cut to ring chase

judging kobes contract based on lebrons makes absolutely no sense

i'd rather judge it based on a comparison with a similar situation.

like michael jordan in 1997 and 1998. and kobes stats are right on par with his. nobody said he was overpaid.

so neither is kobe

again..based on production?... kobe is one of the most productive players in the league

Isn't he making 30+ million this year? I am not that familiar with nba contracts but isn't that bigger than a regular max contract?