Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Dr. Ice's Avatar

Default If someone as unskilled as roy hibbert can make it to the nba...

...who sucks in every aspect of basketball besides his ability to stick his hands in the air yet is still considered by uninformed people to be a top tier center, why is it so hard for people to believe that wilt could be incredible in today's nba when all evidence and footage shows that he has actual basketball skills unlike hibbert?

Default Re: If someone as unskilled as roy hibbert can make it to the nba...

Hibbert is skilled. He's not the best offensively but he's still skilled as a center and as a basketball player. Secondly, NOBODY has said Wilt wouldn't be the best center in the NBA if he played right now. I see now why you have the red bars. Stupid me for commenting.

Hibbert might be big and slow; but he is not lacking in the skill department.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

pathetic attempt at trolling

Dude acting like Hibbert is Pavel Podolzkin

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Hibbert is skilled. He's not the best offensively but he's still skilled as a center and as a basketball player. Secondly, NOBODY has said Wilt wouldn't be the best center in the NBA if he played right now. I see now why you have the red bars. Stupid me for commenting.
    People constantly discredit wilt on this board dont give me that nonsense.

And has the center position really become so sucky that we call hibbert skilled now ? I'm just going to copy/paste something i said in another thread

"Name one thing hibbert is good at besides sticking his hands up in the paint. Just one thing. I'll wait.

Can't shoot, can't pass, turnover prone despite not even being the team's first(or second, or third) option, foul prone, horrendous in pick and roll defense, can't run down the court."

Please help me find the skill, I dead serious really want to see it. Does getting destroyed by names like zaza pachulia and elton brand count as having skill?

Very good NBA starter

Hibbert made the All-Star game averaging 14 ppg ... his ppg fell to 13 ppg by the end of the season.

He's not unskilled, but in the history of centers, he's not elite. The crop of centers today isn't all that, unless you consider merely "above average" or "really good" as elite.

I'd love him on the Spurs, however... but not necessarily for his scoring skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
    People constantly discredit wilt on this board dont give me that nonsense.

And has the center position really become so sucky that we call hibbert skilled now ? I'm just going to copy/paste something i said in another thread

"Name one thing hibbert is good at besides sticking his hands up in the paint. Just one thing. I'll wait.

Can't shoot, can't pass, turnover prone despite not even being the team's first(or second, or third) option, foul prone, horrendous in pick and roll defense, can't run down the court."

Please help me find the skill, I dead serious really want to see it. Does getting destroyed by names like zaza pachulia and elton brand count as having skill?
    He's good at defense. He's good at rebounds. He can score at times. He's skilled. Nobody said he's elite though. I'll put it to you like this and I'm done. Ask Chris Bosh if he's skilled. Ask Tyson Chandler if he's skilled. Ask LeBron if he's skilled. He's more than just tall. If he didn't have skill, you could plug any big man in there and do what he does. You and I both know that ain't happening. Nobody is saying Hibbert is an alltime great. Nobody is. But to say this man isn't skilled it foolish. Apr 13 at it's finest I see.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Hibbert's pretty skilled. Wtf is this sh*t?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

Please help me find the skill, I dead serious really want to see it.
    Aren't those criticisms you can make about 90% of the centers that have played for the history of the league? Hibbert is a good to great post scorer, has a pretty good mid range jumper, is a good rebounder, and a great interior defender.

Not sure why you are singling out Hibbert, if he was more athletic he would be elite.

Wilt would be in the NBA, but in no way be a superstar. I mean, did the man even face someone as big as Hibbert back in the day? All I see from the old Wilt videos is him surrounded by small white guys and him just basically jumping up to the basket whenever and however he wants to score a point.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Wilt would be in the NBA, but in no way be a superstar. I mean, did the man even face someone as big as Hibbert back in the day? All I see from the old Wilt videos is him surrounded by small white guys and him just basically jumping up to the basket whenever and however he wants to score a point.
    That's because you're a f*cking moron.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    good to great post score, has a pretty good mid range jumper
    Stopped reading there but i'll humor your first point about 90% of centers anyways.

howard, asik, horford, davis, drummond, boozer, cousins, monroe, aldridge, bosh, gasol, lopez, jefferson, lee, bynum, bosh, duncan.

Just off the top of my head i just named 17 players that have played center that i couldnt make those same criticisms about. Why can't I? Because they have skill. A person like hibbert does not have skill.
    Last edited by Dr. Ice; 10-29-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    That's because you're a f*cking moron.
    If you expect Wilt to dominate today even remotely close to the way he did back then then you are the moron. All of Wilt's advantages that made him so dominant back then are gone in todays game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    He's good at defense. He's good at rebounds. He can score at times. He's skilled. Nobody said he's elite though. I'll put it to you like this and I'm done. Ask Chris Bosh if he's skilled. Ask Tyson Chandler if he's skilled. Ask LeBron if he's skilled. He's more than just tall. If he didn't have skill, you could plug any big man in there and do what he does. You and I both know that ain't happening. Nobody is saying Hibbert is an alltime great. Nobody is. But to say this man isn't skilled it foolish. Apr 13 at it's finest I see.
    If he's more than just tall then he could do more then stick his hands in the air. He wouldn't get destroyed in pick and roll defense(just imagine if he was on a team without good wing defenders, all of this "hibbert is a great defender" nonsense would be out the window as his flaws would become immediately noticeable ). he wouldnt lose the ball the moment he grabs it. he would know how to pass a ball. He would know how to shoot higher than 45%. I noticed you never answered what he's good at besides sticking his hands in the air.

And yes, in that system that the pacers use, I'll say that 50% of players that are the exact same size and weight as hibbert could do the same thing he does, since all he is required to do is stand in the paint.