Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: It's sad that Hibbert's career night is an off-night for Shaquille.

This is the most idiotic thread I've seen on here in a while.

And that says a lot.

7-time NBA All-Star

As a Knicks fan, I'll say that Hibbert was dominant tonight to the point where I was frustrated as hell watching the game. Instead of tearing Roy down by comparing him to a player not a single person ever thought Roy would approach, why not appreciate an excellent performance. Roy ruined my night, so needless to say, he impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Legend
    Nobody is comparing or has compared Hibbert to any great center, past or present, much less Shaq. GTFO.

If you want to play that game... Shaq's stats you just posted are a way off-night compared to Wilt's 50 ppg 25 rpg prime.
    Agreed with the first part, though the second part is not a good analogy because many consider Shaq and Wilt to have had comparable primes/peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Ive always seen Roy Hibbert as nothing more than Luc Longley. Longley would be an upper echelon center had he played today.
    Longley would probably be a solid role player at the center position just like when he played. He wouldn't be one of the better centers. I don't know where you get this shit from. I watched Luc play and he wasn't the scrub some make him out to be, but he simply wasn't good enough to be a top center in any era.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung

This is why April 2013 posters should be summarily banned.
    co-signed

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black&scholes
    Makes me shake my head seeing Roy Hibbert's face on all the sports website saying how he carried the team to a win....

His statline tonight is:
    24 points, 12 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 50%FG

Shaq's season average in his prime was:
    29.7 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 3.8apg, 3 bpg, 0.5 spg, 57.4%FG

Shaquille's regular night average is better than Hibbert's career night in all statistical categories....

I am sorry but this is fucking sad, the centers of this age is an embarassment.

totally agree, I also thinking its fvcking sad that everyone's making such a big deal out of norris cole's game 3. Dude had a career night and his line was only 18/2/1. Compare that to MJs prime, where he was averaging 30+/7/7, its just fvcking sad.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Mrofir
    totally agree, I also thinking its fvcking sad that everyone's making such a big deal out of norris cole's game 3. Dude had a career night and his line was only 18/2/1. Compare that to MJs prime, where he was averaging 30+/7/7, its just fvcking sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    As a Knicks fan, I'll say that Hibbert was dominant tonight to the point where I was frustrated as hell watching the game. Instead of tearing Roy down by comparing him to a player not a single person ever thought Roy would approach, why not appreciate an excellent performance. Roy ruined my night, so needless to say, he impressed me.

Agreed with the first part, though the second part is not a good analogy because many consider Shaq and Wilt to have had comparable primes/peaks.

Longley would probably be a solid role player at the center position just like when he played. He wouldn't be one of the better centers. I don't know where you get this shit from. I watched Luc play and he wasn't the scrub some make him out to be, but he simply wasn't good enough to be a top center in any era.
    In this era? Longley would be on Hibberts level. Especially if his role were bigger. The Pacers depend on Hibbert much more than the Bulls did on Longley. I mean honestly, how many centers today are better than Longley especially when circumstances are taken into account. Meaning roles, competition, teammates etc.

In this era? Longley would be on Hibberts level. Especially if his role were bigger. The Pacers depend on Hibbert much more than the Bulls did on Longley. I mean honestly, how many centers today are better than Longley especially when circumstances are taken into account. Meaning roles, competition, teammates etc.
    Idiot.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I can't believe you are still this bias after all of these years.

7-time NBA All-Star

Centers better than Longley this season? There's the following players who I can't see any argument for Longley over.

Tim Duncan
    Marc Gasol
    Joakim Noah
    Dwight Howard
    Brook Lopez
    Roy Hibbert
    Tyson Chandler
    Al Horford
    Al Jefferson
    Nikola Pekovic
    Demarcus Cousins
    Omer Asik

Then there's players who aren't really centers, but play at the position for their teams such as KG and Bosh.

Longley may be less effective in this era than he was in his own because there's less traditional back to the basket players for him to use his bulk defending and the game has become smaller and more perimeter-oriented so I could less his mobility becoming more of an issue, particularly combined with the game being less physical which could make him even more foul prone.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    NumberSix
    I second this notion.

Like I just said in the game thread, Hibbert always lets you down just when you think he's about to play up to his potential. He'll have a game (or a few) where he looks like the superstar center that he should be, then follow it up with a game where he gets 7/7 on 45% and fouls out in 29mins. Indiana fans will agree with me I think. Atleast that's what i've seen from him. Even if Hibbert dominates the rest of this series I garuentee he lays an egg against Miami. He just cannot sustain greatness for some reason

Wow... This thread reeks of epic failure in magnified proportions.

Prime Longley in today's league would be top 5 center easily. Don't kid yourself. He's not even top 30 in the 90s.

He'll own Dwight easily.

Hibbert is basically a poor man's Longley.
    Last edited by deja vu; 05-12-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Centers better than Longley this season? There's the following players who I can't see any argument for Longley over.

Tim Duncan
    Marc Gasol
    Joakim Noah
    Dwight Howard
    Brook Lopez
    Roy Hibbert
    Tyson Chandler
    Al Horford
    Al Jefferson
    Nikola Pekovic
    Demarcus Cousins
    Omer Asik

Then there's players who aren't really centers, but play at the position for their teams such as KG and Bosh.

Longley may be less effective in this era than he was in his own because there's less traditional back to the basket players for him to use his bulk defending and the game has become smaller and more perimeter-oriented so I could less his mobility becoming more of an issue, particularly combined with the game being less physical which could make him even more foul prone.
    Damn...nobody in that list would even crack top 10 in the 90s except for Duncan who isn't a center. I'll take Longley over all these guys save for Duncan and Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by black&scholes
    wilt played against skinny short white guys, put shaq in the 60s he would average 80ppg and 50 rpg
    How about this? In his last two seasons, and in years in which he seldom even shot the ball, he battled the 6-11 260 lb. Bob Lanier in 11 straight games....

1. 26 pts. 15 rebs. 11-14
    2. 31 pts. 31 rebs. 15-22
    3. 29 pts. 18 rebs. 13-17
    4. 30 pts. 21 rebs. 14-18
    5. 28 pts. 14 rebs. 10-13

144 pts. 89 rebs. 63-84

28.8 ppg 17.8 rpg .750 FG%

72-73

1. 22 pts. 19 rebs. 10-12
    2. 21 pts. 21 rebs. 9-10
    3. 14 pts 9 rebs 7-8
    4. 18 pts unknown unknown
    5. 22 pts. 14 rebs. 11-15
    6. 22 pts. 13 rebs. 9-10

119 pts. in six games
    76 rebs in five games
    46-55 in five games

19.8 ppg 15.2 rpg .836 FG%

11 games

23.9 ppg

10 games

16.5 rpg

10 games

109-139 .784 FG%

All of the above from a Chamberlain whom was way past his prime, playing on a surgically repaired knee, and not even thinking about leading the league in scoring. Think about that. 24 ppg on .784 shooting!

BTW, Lanier had his highest scoring season in the 71-72, and was already nearing his peak. And while he certainly won his share of battles with Chamberlain in those two years, he was fortunate enough to not have faced a prime scoring Chamberlain. The same Wilt who had an incredible 20 straight games against the 6-11 HOF center, Walt Bellamy, in which he averaged 48.2 ppg over that span (yes... 48.2 ppg over the course of 20 straight games.)