Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: can't think of a less exciting top draft pick than Julius Randle

Poor man's Thomas Robinson IMO. Got crushed by every good player he went up against (c. Early, J Stokes, J OBryant TWICE, plenty more. All these guys were 2nd rounders). Plays bully ball. That works great in HS and college in the SEC but he is undersized with a poor wingspan and won't be able to do it in the league. Shot 20% from outside the lane on the season and his coach forbade him from shooting from outside the last month of the season.

Mitch said they expected Randle to be higher on the board. He had great workouts for them and was one of the best players in the tournament. But nah, OP knows more.

[QUOTE=UK2K]Smart vs Julius Randle CRAZY DUNK OFF! Who

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    You're most likely not gonna get a superstar player at #7. Randle is a safe pick. Good rebounder, good inside presence. Good fit next to Kobe.
    I wouldn't say safe. No one in his range is bust proof and he does have multiple red flags. Lakers took him because they think he will produce now.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Poor man's Thomas Robinson IMO. Got crushed by every good player he went up against (c. Early, J Stokes, J OBryant TWICE, plenty more. All these guys were 2nd rounders). Plays bully ball. That works great in HS and college in the SEC but he is undersized with a poor wingspan and won't be able to do it in the league. Shot 20% from outside the lane on the season and his coach forbade him from shooting from outside the last month of the season.
    You forgot the part where's just a freshman..

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RoTM
    I wouldn't say safe. No one in his range is bust proof and he does have multiple red flags. Lakers took him because they think he will produce now.
    Yeah true. NBA ready would've been a better way of putting it. Someone like Vonleh is definitely a lot more raw.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

i wonder why people pretend that the lakers did bad in this draft...
    randle is your pf even if gasol stays...

and i think they dont value the trade for jordan clarkson..

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You forgot the part where's just a freshman..
    As opposed to the first 5 players taken in the draft?

Looks like he is a hard worker. Just don't think his current game translates well.

http://deanondraft.com/2014/01/29/a-...-fraud-street/
    http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/25/vi...ndles-defense/

AWFUL defender too. As I mentioned, he got embarrassed when he went up against round 2 talent. Whats going to happen when he gets into the league where those guys don't even play?

[QUOTE=UK2K]Julius Randle Goes Coast-to-Coast for #SCtop10 Du

As opposed to the first 5 players taken in the draft?

Looks like he is a hard worker. Just don't think his current game translates well.

http://deanondraft.com/2014/01/29/a-...-fraud-street/
    http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/25/vi...ndles-defense/

AWFUL defender too. As I mentioned, he got embarrassed when he went up against round 2 talent. Whats going to happen when he gets into the league where those guys don't even play?
    You're just hating on the brodie.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Now Ni99as wanna act like Randle wasn't Top 5 projected before the Exum hype kicked in? It's arguable that he should of went before Gordon did.

There was talk of him going Top 4 when he was leading his Team to a NCAA Championship game, while the Top prospects were at home sitting on their ass.
    Last edited by HOoopCityJones; 06-27-2014 at 03:20 AM.

He had 13, 10, 6 against Early (who was a 23 year old senior).
    He had 18 and 4 against Stokes (a 21 year old sophomore and 5* prospect out of HS)
    He averaged 7 points and 10 rebounds against O'Bryant in two games (a 21 year old junior)

He did all that at 18.

And, um, no he didn't. I've been a life long UK fan and watch every game, and what you just said was almost a complete lie.

He only had 2 games where he didn't score double figures in the final 2 months of the season, and had the most double double's for a freshman in UK history (beating out Davis and Cousins).

And he's 19.

His defense is suspect, but so was all the freshman playing for UK. He's had one year of real coaching, there's zero evidence looking at his game that he won't make an all-star team at some point.
    Last edited by UK2K; 06-27-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    He had 13, 10, 6 against Early (who was a 23 year old senior).
    He had 18 and 4 against Stokes (a 21 year old sophomore and 5* prospect out of HS)
    He averaged 7 points and 10 rebounds against O'Bryant in two games (a 21 year old junior)

He did all that at 18.

And, um, no he didn't. I've been a life long UK fan and watch every game, and what you just said was almost a complete lie.

He only had 2 games where he didn't score double figures in the final 2 months of the season, and had the most double double's for a freshman in UK history (beating out Davis and Cousins).

And he's 19.

His defense is suspect, but so was all the freshman playing for UK. He's had one year of real coaching, there's zero evidence looking at his game that he won't make an all-star team at some point.
    Who would be your NBA comparison for him?

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Who would be your NBA comparison for him?
    I've had lots of people ask me that, and honestly, there is no good answer. He's most like Barkley (not saying he will ever be that good) because he's an absolute beast on the glass. He will probably average close to 3 ORPG which almost guarantees him 4-6 ppg (depending on if he is fouled).

The one thing he does that doesn't get mentioned much, is he moves, a lot. He always moves. He runs the floor, he can handle it on a fast break (check the video on page 1), he runs the baseline, he slashes. He is always moving, always cutting, always fighting for position, and when a shot goes up, he already has a first step toward the rebound, and when he gets it, he will generally finish it even with people hanging all over him. A pick and roll with him will be tough to stop, because once he gets moving to the basket, he will run you over if you're in his way, but he also has a nice finesse game when he needs it.

He has the ability to use his right hand, but just doesn't. He'll just have to get more used to using it. He made some nice finishes with his right, but he generally goes left. His spin move in the post is pretty much unstoppable.

If I had to guess, I am pretty confident to say he will average 12-14 pts and 7-8 rebounds per game as a rookie. As he gets time in the league, and improves his free throw shooting, he will up his scoring. As he gets older, and working with a professional weight training staff, he will probably get to about 265.

I don't think it will be a stretch to say that one day he will average 19 and 9.

Oh, and his jump shot is atrocious. He's already got nice form it just needs work. He has no shot because he never needed one, but it will come along soon enough with an already established form. Check his free throws, it looks smooth.

I think, ultimately, his success depends on who the other post player is that is playing alongside him.
    Last edited by UK2K; 06-27-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Julius Randle Goes Coast-to-Coast for #SCtop10 Du…: http://youtu.be/iFhIaqn_W_karcus
    Zach Randolph clone

and if Blake Griffin can shoot a mid-range jumper there's no reason why Randle can't.