Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Free Agency

Default Re: Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by the big stick
    The good news here is that it's a one year deal. Second, the 76ers organization has just assured us a lottery pick next season.
    We are in for a long year gents.
    Everyone was informed by mgmt we would fill out the roster by signing guys to 1yr vet minimum deals. Even the guys who werent the vet minimum types were only offered 1 year. Mike Bibby to CJ Watson. No player to my knowledge this offseas was offered more than 1 year to play for the Sixers. So how is that good or bad news other than just news?

And second Sixers are not a lottery team. Please explain how so. Gurantee you'll struggle too. Fans gotta stop bytching about the Sixers not spending much money this offseason. The Sixers are not going to pay the luxary tax nor locked themselves in long term deals for guys who really arent that special. Sixers spent thier load last offseason. Why fans want more cash thrown? Beyond me.

Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday/Royal Ivey
    Andre Iguodala/Willie Green
    Thaddeus Young/Jason Kapono
    Elton Brand/Marreese Speights
    Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith/Primeo Brezec

Thats 12 players. This time last year Sixers fans were busting nuts over the aquistion of Brand. They were besides themselves when sites like espn had them winning 50 games being a top 3 Eastern Conference team. The hype buildup was there and the same fans crying now were the ones rejoicing and doing the Hammer dance last year

Its one thing to criticize a team. Another to be lame about it. Atleast be optimistic and intrigued with a new head coach and the players who will get significant minutes. Everyone is this great GM from thier couch. But if the moves they wanted were made? And success didnt happen? Then what?

Lets be realistic (not saying Sixers ECF or even 2nd round), reasonable and Sixers fans. I start to believe the Negadelphia fan label. I want to see this team actually get some games under thier belt and gel with the new system.

If you're not satisfied and sold on this team? Fine. You'll have football.

Learning to shoot layups the big stick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Everyone was informed by mgmt we would fill out the roster by signing guys to 1yr vet minimum deals. Even the guys who werent the vet minimum types were only offered 1 year. Mike Bibby to CJ Watson. No player to my knowledge this offseas was offered more than 1 year to play for the Sixers. So how is that good or bad news other than just news?

And second Sixers are not a lottery team. Please explain how so. Gurantee you'll struggle too. Fans gotta stop bytching about the Sixers not spending much money this offseason. The Sixers are not going to pay the luxary tax nor locked themselves in long term deals for guys who really arent that special. Sixers spent thier load last offseason. Why fans want more cash thrown? Beyond me.

Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday/Royal Ivey
    Andre Iguodala/Willie Green
    Thaddeus Young/Jason Kapono
    Elton Brand/Marreese Speights
    Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith/Primeo Brezec

Thats 12 players. This time last year Sixers fans were busting nuts over the aquistion of Brand. They were besides themselves when sites like espn had them winning 50 games being a top 3 Eastern Conference team. The hype buildup was there and the same fans crying now were the ones rejoicing and doing the Hammer dance last year

Its one thing to criticize a team. Another to be lame about it. Atleast be optimistic and intrigued with a new head coach and the players who will get significant minutes. Everyone is this great GM from thier couch. But if the moves they wanted were made? And success didnt happen? Then what?

Lets be realistic (not saying Sixers ECF or even 2nd round), reasonable and Sixers fans. I start to believe the Negadelphia fan label. I want to see this team actually get some games under thier belt and gel with the new system.

If you're not satisfied and sold on this team? Fine. You'll have football.

Ok first and foremost, I never predicted Brand was the guy to take us to the promise land when he was signed last year. I think I am within my right to be disappointed especially because I have been paying for season tickets for the past 6 years.

Let just consider what Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and Toronto were able to accomplish this off-season. They have all made significant improvements and I don

There is no legitimate trade/signing the Sixers could have done to show their improvement. They didn't have the money to sign a top tier free agent, they didn't even have the money to keep their OWN top free agent, nobody wants Dalembert in a trade. What do you want them to do? What coach did you want them to sign? I was pushing for Thibodeau but there's nothing about him that says he was more qualified than EJ. There were no available coaching candidates.

Boston/Orlando were able to make moves because they're legit title contenders and free agents are more willing to go there. They're able to throw first round picks into trades if they need to because they know the pick will be between 25-30 anyway, not end of lotto/mid first round like the Sixers pick. It has a lot less value to toss around. Cleveland got Shaq, but do you think the Sixers should have made a move like that? What sense would that have made? Certain trades make sense for title contenders and don't make sense for non title contenders. It's just how sports work. Toronto didn't do anything. They overpaid for Hedo and lost Shawn Marion, the best they'll do is get in the back half of the playoffs. Their bench still sucks and now they're screwed money wise for a while because they're putting money into Bosh/Hedo/Calderon even though it won't go anywhere.

What move do you see that the Sixers should have done that they didn't hop on?

The team isn't contending for anything as it is right now. Maybe 2nd round and that's if things all work for the best. So I do get why you aren't feeling optimistic about the team right now.

On the other hand, giving a closer look at the situation despite being offseason you could see this situation coming. More over: as both -GOBB and posterize- mention there wasn't much more that could be done in the current situation.

I agree there weren't any available players that made worth going over the cap. Bibby? Dre? TT? Would any of them have put us over the top? CJ Watson intrigued me, but he didn't tliked the one year offer that was offered to him. You can see more and more options in the free agency thread. But I can see why management didn't wanted to throw deals longer than 1 year. And I agree with that standpoint.

It kind of feels strange to having been left out of this offseason, which has been crazy overall in the league. But the sixers made their moves last offseason, and looking closely at the current situation it was easy to say that other than the draft and the coach acquisition, this would be a quiet offseason for us.

We are looking ahead for a mediocre season, and it's hard to be excited about that. But at least we can agree that the management did pretty much what you'd expect them to do, without blatant bonehead moves.

And I'm glad to finally see some conversation here again

Quote Originally Posted by the big stick
    Ok first and foremost, I never predicted Brand was the guy to take us to the promise land when he was signed last year.
    But you applauded the move no? I'm not saying you were apart of the crowd overrating the Sixers. But when Sixers added Elton Brand your feelings? I doubt it was critical but I let you tell it.

I think I am within my right to be disappointed especially because I have been paying for season tickets for the past 6 years.
    Ed Stefanski just got here. He is putting together his team. Impatient much?

[QUOTE]Let just consider what Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and Toronto were able to accomplish this off-season. They have all made significant improvements and I don

Good posts artificial and Posterize. *dapz*

Learning to shoot layups the big stick's Avatar

I did look at EJ

Local High School Star sixerfan3511's Avatar

without getting into all these details, the point is this. If we were to have spent money that we don't have this off season on good but not great free agents, we would have still been behind the big 3 in the East and had financial problems down the road. So it was pointless to do so. We're hoping Brand comes back healthy and that essentially is a big time addition in itself. We have plenty of young players and Kapono will help out with the shooting. Primo is nothing but a 5th big man but he will do his job and same with Ivey as a 5th guard. I don't see what the big deal here is. I'm not happy with the fact that other teams are getting better and we aren't(at least free agency wise), but at the same time Ed Stefanski knows what he is doing and it is in the best interest of the franchise. It's a process that we must go through and there's no need in trying to speed up that process at the expense of the franchise going forward. Be patient and Ed will get us to where we need to go. Eddie Jordan did a very good job with the Wizards when healthy so i couldn't care less about his overall record. And Toronto like others have said have improved but at what cost? They still will be a bottom playoff team, if they make it at all, and now they have big contracts going forward. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make, and this is a prime example of that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I never expected Brand to be the savior, and I never for a second bought the hype, because they really hadnt done much.

Granted, this team has a nice young core, and I will enjoy watching some of their games, but they are still on that average level. A few more moves and you can talk of their relevance more. For now, just enjoy some 76ers basketball!

The Sixers' biggest offseason acquisition was shooter Jason Kapono in a trade for Reggie Evans. They also drafted 19-year-old guard Jrue Holiday and lost veteran point guard Andre Miller to free agency. Lou Williams, Holiday and Royal Ivey are expected to share the job at the point.

The Sixers haven't used the mid-level exception of $5.85 million and probably won't. Instead, they opted to sign Ivey and are about to add center Primoz Brezec for salaries at or just above the league minimum.

(...)

"(A swingman who can shoot and point guard) were two positions that we had to address and we addressed them."
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...is-year-1.html

Pretty much what we just discussed here.