Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Shaq

Not airballing my layups anymore adamballs's Avatar

Default Re: Next Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by A Roc 23
    In terms of playing style Shaq was a mix of Dwight Howard and Eddy Curry.

In terms of body type, he is most similar to Bynum, of course he was bigger and stronger then Bynum will ever be.

I really don't think Bynum plays ANYTHING like Shaq. He doesn't back players down or use a wide array of physical post moves. Bynum's offense is mostly catching it deep or coming in for that swooping dunk he is quite good at. You usually see him with a couple baskets going to the hoop a game while that was a very small % of Shaq's shots.

Dwight Howard will be the most similar to him overall. Dwight Howard will dominate this league (not like Shaq did though) while Bynum will be a top center and Curry will be just below all-star level in his prime. Dwight Howard has the physically overwhelming thing going on that Shaq had, but he doesn't have even half of the offensive talents Shaq had.

Lets throw in my predictions for their primes:

- Dwight Howard 25 points and 15 rebounds along with 2.5 blocks.

- Andrew Bynum 20 points and 13 rebounds along with 2.5 blocks.

- Eddy Curry 22 points and 8 rebounds along with 0.5 blocks.
    I believe those are Dwights current averages.

Serious playground baller WildStyle's Avatar

Lets throw in my predictions for their primes:

- Dwight Howard 25 points and 15 rebounds along with 2.5 blocks.
    He's averaging 23.7 points, 15.4 rebounds and 2.7 blocks right now. He's still got quite a way to go before he reaches his prime as a basketball player and a lot of improving to do. The only number I don't see improving are his rebounds, but you never know.

Banned

None of the three.

Dwight actually has superior athleticism to Shaq but he does not have the size nor the initial quickness.
    Andrew has the size but he doesn't have the athleticism nor initial quickness.

Curry? Lol.

What Dwight lacks in size he makes up for in other areas. Which is why he has a chance to be greater than Shaq when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by WildStyle
    He's averaging 23.7 points, 15.4 rebounds and 2.7 blocks right now. He's still got quite a way to go before he reaches his prime as a basketball player and a lot of improving to do. The only number I don't see improving are his rebounds, but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamballs
    I believe those are Dwights current averages.
    25/15/2.5 with defense is still probably the best player in the league.

I just don't think that his numbers will jump that much. If they did that would be unbelievable. To put up much more then 15 rebounds a game in this era would be stunning.

What does everyone else predict? 28/18? That would be sick and isn't totally out of reach, but I would NEVER bet on it.

Dwight Howard can get better without upping his stats that much and that is what I would put my money on.

Banned

What Dwight lacks in size he makes up for in other areas. Which is why he has a chance to be greater than Shaq when it's all said and done.
    No, he has no chance. The only way he'll be greater than Shaq is if he randomly develops the ability to make absolutely great passes, and starts hitting 80+% of his free throws. And even then he still probably wouldn't.

I don't think you understand, nor do most people. Shaq is probably the single most dominant force to ever pick up a basketball. I mean, literally... if you were to build a team from scratch around any player on their prime for a 2-3 year title run, all things being equal, Shaq would have to be your guy. It was just flat out ridiculous how good he was.

Dwight will be damn near top 10 all time if he becomes even 80% as good as prime Shaq was.

Banned

25/15/2.5 with defense is still probably the best player in the league.

I just don't think that his numbers will jump that much. If they did that would be unbelievable. To put up much more then 15 rebounds a game in this era would be stunning.

What does everyone else predict? 28/18? That would be sick and isn't totally out of reach, but I would NEVER bet on it.

Dwight Howard can get better without upping his stats that much and that is what I would put my money on.
    Dwight might end up the best rebounder the game has ever seen, and that's not a joke. He is absolutely the best player at reaching outside of his space and grabbing a rebound I have ever seen. Statistically of course he will never touch Chamberlain but Chamberlain wouldn't be putting up 20 rpg in today's era, either.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta
    Dwight might end up the best rebounder the game has ever seen, and that's not a joke. He is absolutely the best player at reaching outside of his space and grabbing a rebound I have ever seen. Statistically of course he will never touch Chamberlain but Chamberlain wouldn't be putting up 20 rpg in today's era, either.
    stop overrate...we are talking about 15 rpg over fkn 25 games...and he might the best rebounder? WTF ; Shaq did 14 rpg in his FIRST SEASON (81 fkn games) , that not means he would average more than 14rpg after that right? Hakeem also has a 14 rpg season and that not means he would average 20 rpg in his prime ;
    also look at his competion this time...Kaman?Bynum? old ass Ben Wallace? 30 mpg Duncan? ; gay small ball teams with 5 guards on the floor ; Its really that hard to grab 15 rebounds today?
    Shaq faced Mutombo,Zo,Hakeem,Ewing,Rodman,Robinson,Duncan,Wal lace...
    Last edited by rzp; 12-17-2007 at 02:42 AM.

Local High School Star WoGiTaLiA1's Avatar

Not to mention Rodman, who was a better rebounder than anyone I've seen, easily. He not only got a lot of rebounds, but he was as technically sound as a rebounder as I've seen also. Dwight is an absolute freak, but the technical side of his rebounding is only average.

As for the conversation, who can forget guys like Oliver Miller, Sofoklis Schnortianides and DeSagana Diop who never even got close.

Curry is the closest on offensive game. Dwight is the closest physically. None of the 3 mentioned are close as passers and none have anywhere near as much personality or charisma, which will mean they are never as "big" as Shaq regardless of skill. None are close to being as good at the same ages either, but regardless of that they won't be Shaq.

National High School Star

For Howard to be mentioned with the greats likes Shaq, he's going to have to learn how to pass the ball. Work out of double teams, time when to pass, read defenses etc. Scoring and hitting the boards will be no problem for him...making his teammates better by making teams pay for double teaming him is what he will need to prove

No, he has no chance. The only way he'll be greater than Shaq is if he randomly develops the ability to make absolutely great passes, and starts hitting 80+% of his free throws. And even then he still probably wouldn't.

I don't think you understand, nor do most people. Shaq is probably the single most dominant force to ever pick up a basketball. I mean, literally... if you were to build a team from scratch around any player on their prime for a 2-3 year title run, all things being equal, Shaq would have to be your guy. It was just flat out ridiculous how good he was.

Dwight will be damn near top 10 all time if he becomes even 80% as good as prime Shaq was.
    Yes, he has a chance. His shooting stroke is light years ahead of Shaq's. If he ever get's consistant enough to shoot a 70% clip from the line, plus a short jumper... that's around 30 ppg. He is a better rebounder already than Shaq ever was. He has a much stronger work ethic than Shaq. He is about as good of a defender as prime Shaq who doesn't even care about defense these days. He is not an awfull passer. He has shown flashes in that area.

It may be a slim chance, but I do believe he has a chance. It depends on if he can keep improving while keeping his stats up and leading his team to championships. It'll be a tough road ahead, but I'm looking forward to watching how it unfolds. He's 22, he's got plenty of time.

Banned

Yes, he has a chance. His shooting stroke is light years ahead of Shaq's. If he ever get's consistant enough to shoot a 70% clip from the line, plus a short jumper... that's around 30 ppg. He is a better rebounder already than Shaq ever was. He has a much stronger work ethic than Shaq. He is about as good of a defender as prime Shaq who doesn't even care about defense these days. He is not an awfull passer. He has shown flashes in that area.

It may be a slim chance, but I do believe he has a chance. It depends on if he can keep improving while keeping his stats up and leading his team to championships. It'll be a tough road ahead, but I'm looking forward to watching how it unfolds. He's 22, he's got plenty of time.
    No.

Dwight has no where close to the quickness on his feet that Shaq did, and Shaq was 3" taller and 40 lbs heavier.

Dwight will never bulk up to 320+ lbs. He's not big enough for it.

Dwight doesn't need a short jumper. All that would lead to would be him being lazier inside and settling for a jumpshot more often.

He has the work ethic over Shaq, I'll give you that... but he does not have the natural tools to surpass Shaq. Sorry.

No.

Dwight has no where close to the quickness on his feet that Shaq did, and Shaq was 3" taller and 40 lbs heavier.

Dwight will never bulk up to 320+ lbs. He's not big enough for it.

Dwight doesn't need a short jumper. All that would lead to would be him being lazier inside and settling for a jumpshot more often.

He has the work ethic over Shaq, I'll give you that... but he does not have the natural tools to surpass Shaq. Sorry.
    So Dwight has to be as big or bigger than Shaq to be a better player? I disagree. I see no reason why Dwight can't become a better overall player than Shaq.

I also diagree with the quickness of feet comment. Dwight's spin move is just as quick as Shaq's. He just doesn't use it enough. He pulled one out on Darko the other night. Surprised the hell out of me how quick it was.

What about Dwight's superior leaping ability and desire to grab every rebound? The fact that he is superior to Shaq in some areas makes me think he at least has a chance to be a better basketball player.

Love me or Hate me Unreal Skill's Avatar

As of right now, it gotta be Dwight but there will never be another player as physical dominate as Shaq. 7'1 330 is scary, nothing could have stop (only slow) this prime beast. Shaq get triple teamed almost every time during his prime career, I doubt Dwight will.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by adamballs
    Kareem isn't a great teacher/trainer?
    Ewing is mentoring Dwight.

Kareem's career > Ewing's

Whos is getting the better NBA pedigree now???
    whatever did i say to you to piss you off? that was my only post in this thread...and kareem is great, didnt say he wasnt. But it just seems to me that Bynum's become a finesse player under his tutelage...but then again, he may just be working on finesse first before the power stuff...finesse is harder to learn imo after all.