Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Shaq

NBA rookie of the year

Default Next Shaq

What players have been called the next Shaq that actually became starters in the NBA? I can think of 3. Eddy Curry, Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum. Which of the 3 do you think has the most in common with a prime Shaq. This is how they compared to Shaq entering the league

Shaquille O'Neal in 1992
    Height w/o Shoes: 7'1"
    Height w/ shoes: 7'2.75"
    Weight: 303
    Wingspan: 7'6"
    Standing Reach: 9'8"

Dwight Howard in 2004
    Height w/o Shoes: 6'9"
    Height w/ shoes: 6'10.25"
    Weight: 240
    Wingspan: 7'4.5"
    Standing Reach: 9'3.5"

Andrew Bynum in 2005
    Height w/o Shoes: 7'0.25"
    Height w/ shoes: 7'1.5"
    Weight: 295
    Wingspan: 7'6"
    Standing Reach: 9'4"

Eddy Curry in 2001
    Height w/o Shoes: 6'10.5"
    Height w/ shoes: 6'11.75"
    Weight: 301
    Wingspan: 7'6.5"
    Standing Reach: 9'3"

Shaq's weight in his prime ranged from 315-365 pounds. Bynum has grown to 7'1" barefoot and now weighs 300 pounds. Eddy Curry is probably 350 pounds and Dwight Howard has bulked up to 275 pounds. I personally think while Howard is the best player of them Bynum has the most in common. I think Bynum will be the closest to the next Shaq when it's all said in done. As far as Eddy Curry....

rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Next Shaq

I find the exact heights of players in and out of footwear to be very fascinating.

But "next Shaq"? You mean most similar to him, or the best of the three? From what I've seen of younger Shaq, I'd say Curry resembles him more than the other two. In the post anyways. Bynum is probably most similar to prime Shaq, although nowhere near him in terms of ability.

As far as the best, I've got high hopes for Andrew, but I don't think he'll ever be on the level of Dwight this year. And we can't forget that Dwight can still improve in plenty of ways. What we're seeing right now is most likely just the beginning of his prime/peak.

High School Starter otmtheshank's Avatar

In terms of pure dominance inside based almost entirely on power and athleticism, then it's Dwight. Although there may never be a another player as dominate inside as Shaq, at least for a while.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Dwight is the MVP thus far, hands down. No question.
    Bynum is ages away from being an MVP.

Dominance inside it should be Shaq.. It's actually automatic foul for him or automatic dunk... Dwight can be sometimes stop inside just like what Bynum did to him defensively.

Decent playground baller

Gary Trent was the 1st person I heard called the next Shaq. Actually he was just called the Shaq of the Mac.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    I find the exact heights of players in and out of footwear to be very fascinating.

But "next Shaq"? You mean most similar to him, or the best of the three? From what I've seen of younger Shaq, I'd say Curry resembles him more than the other two. In the post anyways. Bynum is probably most similar to prime Shaq, although nowhere near him in terms of ability.

As far as the best, I've got high hopes for Andrew, but I don't think he'll ever be on the level of Dwight this year. And we can't forget that Dwight can still improve in plenty of ways. What we're seeing right now is most likely just the beginning of his prime/peak.
    While I agree with pretty much your entire post there is atleast a chance Andrew surpasses Dwight even though he isn't even close now. If you compare Dwight at the age of 20 to Andrew this year. Andrew was actually better especially considering he is a 3rd or 4th option getting 10 less minutes per game while Dwight was already a first option. As far as next Shaq I mean a combination of the 2. Most similar and also obviously a great dominant force.

Dwight 05'-06' 20 yrs old 15.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.4 bpg, 36.8 mpg
    Bynum 07'-08' 20 yrs old 11.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.9 bpg, 26.4 mpg

You could actually make the argument that Andrew is a better overall player now then Dwight was at 20. Of course that is subjective but it is close. Andrew is already a superior passer to Dwight which is important when you are an all star level center. While I don't think Andrew will reach Dwight's level in rebounding he is already better than Dwight as far as passing and he seems to have just as much if not more potential as a shot blocker. I actually think Andrew has more potential as a scorer....now him reaching that potential is another story. As far as Curry...he is a great low post scorer but a terrible rebounder, defender and passer. If you were to bet on what is most likely...Dwight is probably going to be the best player but Andrew reminds me of Shaq the most.

How do you know how tall they are without shoes on?

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

I have to agree with much of what has been stated above.
    They are a couple years apart, but what Dwight has done this year is nothing short of dominant. 30pts w/ 20 boards?
    Anyone know the last time someone did that?

minnesota timberwolves FOYE4MVP's Avatar

Craig Smith!

High School Varsity 6th Man grimreaper1377's Avatar

Dwight Howard.

Local High School Star

i like Bynum's potential but comparing him to young Shaq is laughable.

Bynum looks stiff and he's slow (well slower than young Shaq.) Shaq was so explosive and quick.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty
    How do you know how tall they are without shoes on?
    The same way I know how tall they are with shoes....pre-draft camp measurements.

Saw a basketball once

i think i read somewhere that bynum just played over a year of basketball before turning pro...and dwight was well groomed from the start(childhood) to become a basketball player...so in terms of potential...I think bynum has a potential to become better than dwight one day if he can find a great trainer to teach him the ropes...

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
    i like Bynum's potential but comparing him to young Shaq is laughable.

Bynum looks stiff and he's slow (well slower than young Shaq.) Shaq was so explosive and quick.
    Seriously!

I like Bynums potential, but by the way people talk about him on here, he might be the most overrated player in the league. Shaq had fast footwork and was explosive. Bynum is more of a finesse player and comparing him to Shaq is a sin