Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default I have a very simple question for you that has no wrong answer.

If you had a 12 year old son playing basketball which would you rather give him complete mastery of so he could pull it out at will?

Kobes reverse pivot or Jamal Crawfords shake and bake?

While the shake may be more spectacular in a:

....kinda way....I think id give him the reverse pivot. Its a lot easier to get people to bite a pump fake than to get them isolated like that on a break. A kid with footwork that immaculate would pretty amazing. Plenty of kids have handles. Few have footwork.

Default Re: I have a very simple question for you that has no wrong answer.

Also im gonna have to post this as a condition of my contract as a lifetime Chicago Bulls fan....I cant have any of our young posters thinking Kobe just...invented that move:

Very few people just invent anything in basketball. Doctor J did eurosteps in the 70s. George Mikan had the dirk fadeaway in the 40s. People did reverse pivot jumpers well before Jordan. Ive seen Elvin Hayes do it. So its not about creating really.

Jamal probably invented his move though. Not as in...nobody ever did it...invented as in...hes the first to intentionally incorporate it as a move in his arsenal. Every move has been done on the fly before. Thats an intentional worked on move he could pull out at will.

Yeah Kobe's reverse pivot is more practical and would be put in a situation to do that more times in a single game so I go with that one.

Although I was a huge fan of that Jamal shake and bake back in the day when he used to do it. I remember I would run around doing it with the air all the time, amazing move. Man that one on Hinrich is filthy.

Reverse pivot. A one-on-one halfcourt move is more useful than a fastbreak move.

Harden Stepdaddy

or Manu eurostep?

Hardens move is easier to use often but I guess it doesnt give you the ability to shoot after it. Most people can make a layup though.

I was gonna ask Skyhook or Dreamshake....but really....anyone who mastered a skyhook would be unstoppable so thats easy.

Its one of those shots that given the size....the defense almost doesnt matter. But I guess you cant count on having a 7 foot kid can you?

If I had to give him one move handles wise it might be Wades pullback crossover. I maintain that nobody has shaken more people totally out of the camera shot than Wade and ALL of them are that move.

The most space always comes from those stop on a dime crossovers:

You can send people 30 feet on those

shake and bake....its not close

that move is amazing and always brings out the ouuuussss and awwwwsss

Depends if he's tall for his age. If he's tall just give him Kobe's reverse pivot, if he's not and often times is the primary ball handler then Jamal's shake and bake it is. Both are great moves.

Well you said my son, so we're talking about a dude who is gonna grow to be a max of like 5'10"... so I would probably go with the shake and bake

Crawford's move leads to a lay-up, while Kobe's move leads to a midrange jumpshot, and in today's league midrange jumpshots are getting less and less useful. Even if you have a great midrange shot, you hit maybe 45-50%, and it only counts for 2 points, that's simply not enough.

If your go to move doesn't give you at least 1.2 points per shot, you need to come up with something else.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Harden Stepdaddy

or Manu eurostep?

Hardens move is easier to use often but I guess it doesnt give you the ability to shoot after it. Most people can make a layup though.

I was gonna ask Skyhook or Dreamshake....but really....anyone who mastered a skyhook would be unstoppable so thats easy.

Its one of those shots that given the size....the defense almost doesnt matter. But I guess you cant count on having a 7 foot kid can you?

If I had to give him one move handles wise it might be Wades pullback crossover. I maintain that nobody has shaken more people totally out of the camera shot than Wade and ALL of them are that move.

The most space always comes from those stop on a dime crossovers:

You can send people 30 feet on those
    Everybody has a euro-step and step-back in their game

If you play ball, you naturally have those moves / added those moves at some point - everybody in the league, college and most HS players can euro-step and step-back

But i'd easily prefer Kobe's reverse pivot for different reasons - if you can reverse pivot, you can do all the other post footwork.. you'd have a sick mid-range game overall and critical off-ball skillset, so you won't prevent your team from playing the best brand of ball or chemistry with teammates...

Ultimately, having the step-back (standard), euro-step (standard), AND elite non-dribble footwork would take a player into a different dimension over a standard ball-dominator that can only euro-step and step-back.. i.e. curry and MJ's teams are capable of an entirely superior way to play than harden's low-assist, ball-dominant teams / approach
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-16-2019 at 12:01 PM.

I'm going to drill the reverse pivot, up and under, skyhook, and back to the basket finger roll into my kid. Will teach him a fadeaway jumper but I want my him/her to be an a advantageous spot for rebounds so Ill have them do that less. Would probably want them making a lot of bank shots obsessively. I'll have him watch tapes of oscar backing his man down into a screen for a turn around jumper. The Elgin Baylor/Euro step for sure. Dont want to pull some BS like harden, but drawing a foul getting his man up in the air would be taught. Maybe even have them shoot free throws like Barry.

Other than that just to hustle, block shots to yourself or teammates, tip passes/rebounds, full court out let passes, and try to be tricky by going off what the d is giving them. Think a few steps ahead like a chess match but dont get tunnel vision

so basically McHale, Duncan, Kareem, Wilt, Oscar, Jordan, Bird, Barry and a few others will be their religion.

A lot more I'd probably show them but I'll leave it at that for now.

Would want him to have fun, shoot 3's etc...But not hurt his team by continuing to chuck them when they arent falling
    Last edited by jongib369; 01-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Sadly though even if my kid played in the post and did it well no one would probably know how to properly feed him the ****ing ball

Couple more.

Kyrie might have the smoothest. Id like to see someone make it a real go to move. Players never catch onto the fakes the way you would assume. Steve Smiths worked for 10 years.

Rather have Lebron’s array of moves.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Rather have Lebron’s array of moves.
    The stiff arm drive, flop, travel or cry to the refs?