Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Planning an America trip...

Seeing as most of the posters on here are from the USA/Canada, I figured this would be a good place to start to get a guideline of where I should and shouldn't go when I do get over there. I'll be staying there for one and half to two months, so I've got a lot of time to see plenty of places. Obviously the big cities and major tourist spots I will definitely hit, but I was wondering if someone could provide any places you won't hear much about but is a great time.

Obviously places such as LA, NY/Jersey, San Francisco, Orlando, Miami, Washington, Houston, Texas and Vegas are all on my list. I'll be visiting Toronto and Vancouver as well. Grand Canyon as well, etc.

Unsure about places like Philly, New Orleans, San Diego, Seattle, but I think New Orleans in the end would be a great place to visit simply since I've heard great things about the food and music there.

Can anyone add any major cities I should visit apart from the 11 I mention in my second paragraph? As well as some major tourist destinations, and give their opinion on the other cities I'm unsure about.

Cheers fellas.

High School Varsity 6th Man treadster's Avatar

Default Re: Planning an America trip...

have a safe trip

If you're going to san Antonio don't hit the strip clubs because they suck. Fat girls are tye main attraction over there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    If you're going to san Antonio don't hit the strip clubs because they suck. Fat girls are tye main attraction over there!
    I'll be too busy trying to work my Aussie accent on non stripper girls. Hopefully its a hit.

I don't know how you can possibly come to Canada in the Spring/Summer and not pass by Montreal. Incredible night life, festivals, restaurants, women. It would be a big mistake to go to Toronto over Montreal imo. Vancouver, I understand, especially if you're a fan of the big outdoors.

Also, I don't think a month and a half is enough for all these locations. North America is huge dude, I wouldn't spend half the time travelling. I would focus on one of the coasts. Like you can do Montreal, Toronto, NYC, Philly, Florida....or Vancouver, Bamf, Seattle, Vegas, California...Spread yourself too thin and you won't be able to really see what the cities are about. Say you visit 7 cities, you can stay 4-5days in each city, plus travel time, that's a month and half easy.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Seeing as most of the posters on here are from the USA/Canada, I figured this would be a good place to start to get a guideline of where I should and shouldn't go when I do get over there. I'll be staying there for one and half to two months, so I've got a lot of time to see plenty of places. Obviously the big cities and major tourist spots I will definitely hit, but I was wondering if someone could provide any places you won't hear much about but is a great time.

Obviously places such as LA, NY/Jersey, San Francisco, Orlando, Miami, Washington, Houston, Texas and Vegas are all on my list. I'll be visiting Toronto and Vancouver as well. Grand Canyon as well, etc.

Unsure about places like Philly, New Orleans, San Diego, Seattle, but I think New Orleans in the end would be a great place to visit simply since I've heard great things about the food and music there.

Can anyone add any major cities I should visit apart from the 11 I mention in my second paragraph? As well as some major tourist destinations, and give their opinion on the other cities I'm unsure about.

Cheers fellas.
    New Orleans is a great place to visit. And I would have it higher than Orlando, Miami or Houston on your list. Seattle is also a great place to visit.. However, if you are already doing Vancouver, you can maybe skip Seattle since they share some similar characteristics in terms of food/weather.

San Diego is a beach town. Seems like you can get that in Australia.

In terms of Texas, I would visit Austin over Houston. Some of the best barbecue in the world, famous as a music town.

I like places that have culture, great food, great music (live music, not just dance clubs), are physically beautiful. I love San Francisco, I've never thought about visiting Orlgando. I get antsy if I'm on a beach for a couple of days straight. So that's my preferences.

I'll be too busy trying to work my Aussie accent on non stripper girls. Hopefully its a hit.
    If you go to New Orleans stay on the beaten path. The beaten path is very nice, and it's fun, and the food is fantastic. Great place. Been there many times.

Off the beaten path looks like a scene from a zombie film complete with real danger.

If you come to NY, go to NY. Jersey isn't anything special i would travel to as a world traveler.

San Fransisco and Boston are two cities i love. I thought was Austin was pretty boring. Grand Canyon or anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    I don't know how you can possibly come to Canada in the Spring/Summer and not pass by Montreal. Incredible night life, festivals, restaurants, women. It would be a big mistake to go to Toronto over Montreal imo. Vancouver, I understand, especially if you're a fan of the big outdoors.

Also, I don't think a month and a half is enough for all these locations. North America is huge dude, I wouldn't spend half the time travelling. I would focus on one of the coasts. Like you can do Montreal, Toronto, NYC, Philly, Florida....or Vancouver, Bamf, Seattle, Vegas, California...Spread yourself too thin and you won't be able to really see what the cities are about. Say you visit 7 cities, you can stay 4-5days in each city, plus travel time, that's a month and half easy.
    Thanks, I completely forgot about Montreal, and the original plan was to actually do a road trip down the east coast. The Vancouver visit it simply to see a friend more than anything, but I would have visited anyway. Have heard good things.
    You live in Montreal macmac? I think I remember talking to you about coming up there and gambling at one point.

New Orleans is a great place to visit. And I would have it higher than Orlando, Miami or Houston on your list. Seattle is also a great place to visit.. However, if you are already doing Vancouver, you can maybe skip Seattle since they share some similar characteristics in terms of food/weather.

San Diego is a beach town. Seems like you can get that in Australia.

In terms of Texas, I would visit Austin over Houston. Some of the best barbecue in the world, famous as a music town.

I like places that have culture, great food, great music (live music, not just dance clubs), are physically beautiful. I love San Francisco, I've never thought about visiting Orlgando. I get antsy if I'm on a beach for a couple of days straight. So that's my preferences.
    Read more at http://insidehoops.com/forum/newrepl...bYRaTBAJzKp.99
    Miami is a must visit, and long stay for me simply because of the Heat. Want to be able to at least see the big 3 play live. Glad my trip coincides with a decent time for the Heat and not like it was back in 08...

New Orleans sounds nice then from what you and niko say. I'm a tourist so I won't be straying too far from the typical stuff. I think the Orlando thing is simply for theme parks, since my friends and I are all in our early to mid 20's.
    Plus the women in Orlando and Miami are more suited to my taste.

Austin over Houston? Fair enough. I probably won't have time to see all of Texas, as much as I'd want to, so I want to have the best experience possible there. Would like to see the input of other posters too in terms of Dallas, Austin and Houston.

Thanks, I completely forgot about Montreal, and the original plan was to actually do a road trip down the east coast. The Vancouver visit it simply to see a friend more than anything, but I would have visited anyway. Have heard good things.
    You live in Montreal macmac? I think I remember talking to you about coming up there and gambling at one point.

Miami is a must visit, and long stay for me simply because of the Heat. Want to be able to at least see the big 3 play live. Glad my trip coincides with a decent time for the Heat and not like it was back in 08...

New Orleans sounds nice then from what you and niko say. I'm a tourist so I won't be straying too far from the typical stuff. I think the Orlando thing is simply for theme parks, since my friends and I are all in our early to mid 20's.
    Plus the women in Orlando and Miami are more suited to my taste.

Austin over Houston? Fair enough. I probably won't have time to see all of Texas, as much as I'd want to, so I want to have the best experience possible there. Would like to see the input of other posters too in terms of Dallas, Austin and Houston.
    Unless you are going to a special big game you don't need to get Heat tickets in advance, stubhub it a week or so before with pick up at game if possible. It's cheaper that way.

I went to New Orleans 2 years ago and stayed with friends. Went to get some sandwiches and got lost on way back. Pulled to the curb to set the GPS to get me back. Was parked next to an abandoned apartment building. All of a sudden i look and EVERY window has eyes looking out. Seriously, like a freaking horror movie. Then you see hands pushing at the boards to open them. LIKE WTF.....just left out of there. Just ****ing ridiculous. It's the post Katrina that made it worse, essentially the areas that got hit by floods have stayed abandoned.
    Last edited by niko; 05-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.

I spent a week in Arizona last month. Amazing place. Spent time in Scottsdale, Sedona and the Grand Canyon. I was in awe the whole time. Definitely worth a trip.

I'm an East Coast guy so my fave cities are Portland, Maine, Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Charleston, Atlanta, Gulf coast of Florida and the Keys. New Orleans is great but like people have said you gotta be careful, especially at night.

What time of year are you going? Summers in South Florida, Louisiana, Texas, etc. can be unbearably hot and muggy.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Unless you are going to a special big game you don't need to get Heat tickets in advance, stubhub it a week or so before with pick up at game if possible. It's cheaper that way.

I went to New Orleans 2 years ago and stayed with friends. Went to get some sandwiches and got lost on way back. Pulled to the curb to set the GPS to get me back. Was parked next to an abandoned apartment building. All of a sudden i look and EVERY window has eyes looking out. Seriously, like a freaking horror movie. Then you see hands pushing at the boards to open them. LIKE WTF.....just left out of there. Just ****ing ridiculous. It's the post Katrina that made it worse, essentially the areas that got hit by floods have stayed abandoned.
    Yeah, I'm just keen for a game. I really don't care what. The quieter it is the better since I'll be looking for decent seats.

Hmm that does sound freaky.

Oh the Bealsanity

Orlando amusement parks huh? As someone who has been to each 20+ times:

You will enjoy Universal Studios a lot more as 20 year olds than Disney.

1) Islands of Adventures: for roller coasters
    2) Universal Studios: for Harry Potter land and other decent rides

3) Animal Kingdom: my favorite Disney park. I love animals though.
    4) Magic Kingdom: best rides of the Disney parks
    5) Epcot: 2 good rides, nice culture exhibits
    6) Hollywood Studios: Meh...

Sea World is one of my favorite parks as well and has my favorite roller coaster in Orlando. Go to Wet N' Wild for water parks. Disney water parks are meh. For Dining around amusement park area, hit up the Rainforest Cafe. Decent food but a really cool environment imo.

Univeral Citywalk is nice for bars and late night stuff. I honestly have only been there once since it is more touristy stuff but it gets great reviews. And whats better after a crazy day at Universal then stepping right outside into a nice bar?

If you drive down south, go to Bush Gardens as well. That rivals Islands of Adventure for the best park in Florida. Fantastic roller coasters. Great animal exhibits too.

EDIT: And for shows, Blue Man Group is amazing as well as Cirque Du Soleil. If you are in to those type of things, definitely check one of them out.
    Last edited by GatorKid117; 05-13-2013 at 09:29 AM.

I Gotta Get In On A Leg Of This Voyage Bro!!

Plow, we should kidnap Macmac and Rufus so that they can get away from poker tables and disgusting mouths and relive their youth. since they are old as shit. I think it will earn their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    Plow, we should kidnap Macmac and Rufus so that they can get away from poker tables and disgusting mouths and relive their youth. since they are old as shit. I think it will earn their hearts.

I'm so old one night of partying would probably kill me. Then it would be like Weekend At Bernie's.