Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Dr. Ice's Avatar

Default Paul George already wants to end small ball experiment after one game

The Pacers opened the preseason with a 110-105 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans on Saturday night, but the highlight of the night came an hour after the game when Paul George spoke his mind with the media and made it clear he isn't on board with the team's effort to change their style of play which has him playing power forward.

"I don't know if I'm cut out for the four spot," George said. "I don't know if this is my position. We'll sit and watch tape and I'm sure I'll talk with coach, I'll talk with Larry as well to get both their input on how the first game went. But I'm still not comfortable with it, regardless of the situation. It's still something I've got to adjust to o r maybe not. Maybe it's something we can go away from."

"Defensively, it's rough, it's rough," George said. "It's an adjustment because I'm not used to doing some of the things out there. I mean, I'm exerting more energy from having to hedge on a ball screen, get back down low to a shot going up, now having to box out. So I don't know, I don't know."

"Honestly, I'd rather build on what we're going to do going into the season," he said. "We're playing around with this style now and trying to figure things out but it's not just myself. The four other guys out there, it was an adjustment for them. We're all talking, a couple other guys are uncomfortable with how we're going to run it and things like that. It's new to everyone. It's new to everybody. This is what preseason's for, it's game one, we've just got to build off it."
    http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/10/...bag-small-ball

Last edited by Dr. Ice; 10-04-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Paul George already wants to end small ball experiment after one game

What a p*ssy

LeBron basically played Center for the Heat for 4 seasons with 0 complaints, but 6'10 Paul George is too scared to play PF

NBA Legend

Default Re: Paul George already wants to end small ball experiment after one game

I dont blame him.

Obviously I respect Bird and Vogel's basketball acumen very much, but I dont see the logic in this idea.

High School Varsity 6th Man Dr. Ice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    I dont blame him.

Obviously I respect Bird and Vogel's basketball acumen very much, but I dont see the logic in this idea.
    I agree that the logic was terrible, but at the same time giving up and publicly criticizing the coach's decision after one freaking preseason game is lame as hell.

At least keep your opinion in the locker room instead of causing unnecessary drama

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I dont blame him.

George is more athletic than most PFs which creates mismatches offensively.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    George is more athletic than most PFs which creates mismatches offensively.

Yeah but arent they starting ian mahinmi at center? I dont see how theyre gonna get enough easy baskets. I realize PG will draw a defender out and space the floor, but hes gonna be at a disadvantage defensively and it just doesnt seem reliable enough offensively. If they had a 20 ppg guy at center, sure. But a starting PF/C of Paul George and Ian Mahinmi? Seems very gimmicky.

With David West gone, PG needs more scoring. He can't go pound to pound with PFs that would leave him no energy on the offensive end

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Yeah but arent they starting ian mahinmi at center? I dont see how theyre gonna get enough easy baskets. I realize PG will draw a defender out and space the floor, but hes gonna be at a disadvantage defensively and it just doesnt seem reliable enough offensively. If they had a 20 ppg guy at center, sure. But a starting PF/C of Paul George and Ian Mahinmi? Seems very gimmicky.
    It still forces someone in the defensive frontcourt to come out and check him. That opens up opportunities for not just the center, but the rest of the team as well.

Decent college freshman

Don't they have Monta now? This will be interesting.

Kd is tall too, wonder is dumbass vogel would make him a pf as well
    Last edited by AnaheimLakers24; 10-04-2015 at 03:19 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    What a p*ssy

LeBron basically played Center for the Heat for 4 seasons with 0 complaints, but 6'10 Paul George is too scared to play PF
    and depending on who you talk to lebron was 260-285 when doing that. George is listed at 220 and I doubt he's weighted in over 235 in his career.

That said the biggest issue imo is that george likely isn't comfortable in his own body yet, injuries like that don't leave you. Odds are he wants to play as conservative and like he's used to as possible.

Oh and that team is just horrible...

When Larry Legend suggests something to me about basketball, I'd put my full trust in it. PG needs to man up.

Local High School Star

What a p*ssy

The rubbish you spew is astonishing

On a serious note, I honestly didn't see it working in the first place

What a p*ssy

LeBron can't even play PF without crying after game 3.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
    I agree that the logic was terrible, but at the same time giving up and publicly criticizing the coach's decision after one freaking preseason game is lame as hell.

At least keep your opinion in the locker room instead of causing unnecessary drama
    He was asked about it and responded honestly, why would he lie about his first game in a new small ball system. Not every interview a player does isn't meant to draw drama. If a player can't be honest during interviews then what's the point of having them.