Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

[QUOTE=RRR3]Let
    Last edited by Overdrive; 07-15-2019 at 08:50 AM.

The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    I listen to everything from Beethoven to Coltrane to Hendrix to Tom Waits to the Beatles and Stones to Arlie to Arcade Fire to Tool to Wagner to Strauss to Miles Davis. I play guitar and piano.

You're just a f*cking idiot.
    That's quite the variety...surprised someone so open minded would post such an ignorant thing. I also listen to a great variety of music, hell I even listen to non-English speaking music, like Spanish flamenco or Arabic music, for a few examples. I also play guitar and bass and find your comment downright ignorant.

On to the subject of this thread, metal music is a very broad term, unless you just want to only include classic metal bands that created the sound and not the offshoot genres.

My dirty dozen personal list in no order...

Black Sabbath
    Dio
    Megadeth
    Tool
    Judas Priest
    Rage Against the Machine
    System of a Down
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Alice In Chains
    AC/DC
    Soundgarden

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    That's quite the variety...surprised someone so open minded would post such an ignorant thing. I also listen to a great variety of music, hell I even listen to non-English speaking music, like Spanish flamenco or Arabic music, for a few examples. I also play guitar and bass and find your comment downright ignorant.

On to the subject of this thread, metal music is a very broad term, unless you just want to only include classic metal bands that created the sound and not the offshoot genres.

My dirty dozen personal list in no order...

Black Sabbath
    Dio
    Megadeth
    Tool
    Judas Priest
    Rage Against the Machine
    System of a Down
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Alice In Chains
    AC/DC
    Soundgarden
    Don't really get the metal vibes from ACDC, AIC or especially Soundgarden. Great bands nonetheless.

Motorhead

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    The Beatles
    Ah one of my all time favorite bands

These geniuses also have a couple of songs that could be credited as having influenced the classic metal sound like Revolution and Helter Skelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Don't really get the metal vibes from ACDC, AIC or especially Soundgarden. Great bands nonetheless.
    Yeah I kind of agree with your statement about AC/DC, especially the Bon Scott era BUT Back In Black and For Those About To Rock have what I consider, very metal sounding songs, but in general AC/DC is a hard rock band. Soundgarden were heavily influenced by Black Sabbath, Kim Thayil has said so many times in interviews, Jerry Cantrell was a metalhead growing up as well.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Badmotorfinger is a Metal album without question, but I would still lump Soundgarden into the Grunge or Hard Rock category considering what the rest of their catalog sounds like. The cool thing about Soundgarden is that you hear the Sabbath and Zeppelin influences in their early work, but they eventually became too radio friendly as most bands do.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    If you truly had such diverse musical taste you wouldn't call any genre of music 99% garbage.

Metal is such a diverse genre, you got sludge-stoner doom metal which is really really simple all the way to hyper technical progressive metal where the musicianship is literally on par with any guitar player, drummer, bassist, etc. to have ever played. A lot of true virtuosos gravitate towards classical, jazz, and metal of all things, and there is a reason why.

You just can't lump it all into one field. Iron Maiden sounds nothing like GnR who sounds nothing like Meshuggah who sounds nothing like pantera, etc.
    But I do. And that's how I feel. I'm very well aware of the technical proficiency of some metal acts (especially prog metal). I can't play most of it. I have all the respect in the world for their talent at their craft.

It's just the (vast) majority of metal is, to me, unlistenable garbage. I simply don't like it. I find it is like the musical equivalent of wall text. The only metal bands I have enjoyed are ones like Pantera and Lamb of God (only very sparingly) who are groove-oriented.

Just because I am a musician and have diverse taste doesn't mean I like everything. Metal is annoying.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I can't play most of it.
    And that

[QUOTE=Patrick Chewing]And that

I meant to have a poll for this lmao.

My vote is for Black Sabbath. The first and still the best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I meant to have a poll for this lmao.

My vote is for Black Sabbath. The first and still the best IMO.
    I do enjoy Black Sabbath. When you listen to today's metal music, it's hard to consider them metal by today's standards. They are the originals, but like... if a band came out now and sounded exactly like Sabbath, they would be considered rock.

I do enjoy Black Sabbath. When you listen to today's metal music, it's hard to consider them metal by today's standards. They are the originals, but like... if a band came out now and sounded exactly like Sabbath, they would be considered rock.
    You don’t even know what doom metal is, do you?

[QUOTE=RRR3]You don