Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Default Re: Explain to me, rationally, why/how CP3 is the "best PG in the league".

He puts up cute statistical numbers in the regular season. He's pretty much the Dwight Howard of point guards when the Playoffs come around. He'll have a dominating series here or there against some weaker teams in the first round and then a contender takes his cookie in the Semis(he chokes).

But who would you really put above CP3? The only guy that has a case is Westbrook, and he was indeed a better player in the Playoffs.

Banned

Default Re: Explain to me, rationally, why/how CP3 is the "best PG in the league".

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    parker had his chance to lead the spurs when duncan was at his worst and manu was injured.

result- second round sweep and a loss to the 8th seed.

yeah, hes so much better than paul.
    All that shows is that Parker is at the very least equal to CP3. His titles and finals MVP show he is better.

CP3 has had a team with Blake Griffin (MVP candidate power forward Griffin according to many on this board last season ) and surrounded by experienced title winning veterans and could not even get them to the conference finals.

HE LEAD HIS TEAM TO A 59 POINT LOSS VS CARMELO AT HOME IN THE PLAYOFFS

Tony Parker is clutch and a winner, and has championship experience.

CP3 is anti-clutch and experience losing in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Parker runs an offense better. He is not a ball stopper like CP3 is. Parker is a better defender then CP3. Parker is more unstoppable going in to the lane, and a better finisher down low.

CP3 does nothing better then Parker, except flashy passes.

Parker doesn't need to make flashy passes, his passing is just as effective as CP3 if not more so.
    No way in hell is Parker a better defender than Paul. Paul made the All Defensive First Team this past season as he has many times! Parker can score better than Paul AND THAT'S the only advantage he has on Paul. But if u are going by numbers, Paul is an alpha dog PG and JUST as good of a scorer as Parker.

Don't bother with these fools.

What you are describing literally just happened with Dirk but they still don't learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Magic Johnson was born in the 50s.

Chris Paul is great...elite...but hes not Magic Johnson.

But everyone short of Magic and Oscar are fair game.

Would I rank Paul over Isiah? Maybe not. But its not a dumb discussion to have if you are talking basketball and not bullshit 17 year olds pull out of their ass online to hide that they have nothing to say.

There is a reason people involved in the game wouldnt speak on Paul the way know nothings on the internet do. Most of them...like me but to a greater extent.....remember when everyone thought Tiny, Oscar, Walt, Cousy, and Lenny Wilkins were the best points ever and only one of them played so much as a finals game on a team they were the best player on.

They played on some good teams(cousy was one of three all nba first teamers losing yearly before russell..Oscar had a HOF sidekick and other all stars)...they played on bad teams they made respectable(Tiny). Some won as one of many great players. Whatever.

But the question was...who the best is? It was a discussion about basketball.

It wasnt a generation of fans ruined by media coverage and empty suits like Skip Bayless assigning them opinions on what constitutes greatness so they pop up online acting like a guy is actually better if someone twists an ankle and it lands them in the WCF.

It bugs me at times because I know these people would...were they around at the time...heap the same bullshit on people they will now act like are untouchable.

I watched Isiah when he was running with Kelly Tripuka scoring 120 and losing early.

Hated on by idiots with all the respect in the world from the people playing.

Few things change...suddenly hes next to Cousy.

Chris Paul is who he is. He wins next year...he wont be better...but people who dont even know what they are seeing are gonna act like it.

I am so sick of it. In every sport. John Elway, Lebron, Steve Young, Jordan, Wilt, Peyton Manning, Chris Paul, and dozens of others.

True all time greats in their field(for Paul im talking point guards not being all time elite period).

Thousands of idiots claiming "If ___ were really so great then he would ___".

Somehow it all falls right for them....some opponent gets hurt at the right time....a great teammate arrives....whatever.

Most if not all of them play just as well while losing...but they win...and now we act like they became great.

It just happens over and over and over...

And then the same people hating on the guy...just move the bar so its still out of reach. You can even win a few rings(Wilt...Lebron). they just shuffle the standards around and call you out anyway.

Its an endless circle of hate blinding people to basketball.

If we would think basketball and put the bullshit aside and then evaluate careers when they are at least nearly finished....a lot of people wouldnt end up looking like idiots making grandiose claims that are laughable in retrospect.

Shit like this from more than 25 years ago(Old newsgroup forums)

Of course this is before he damn near won 3 in a row....

Its just like....

**** it.

Nobody learns a lesson.

Fans...do not learn.

3-time NBA All-Star

It seems for westbrook fans, all they see is stats. The fact is, westbrook made his team worse. From being the best to almost the 3rd seed. From destroying miami to being destroyed w/ him in the lineup. Yet what they see is stats. LOL This is the same reason why iverson was a superstar, despite him being considered a cancer and thus a loser. But no iverson was a superstar so Ill vote for him as the MVP same for westbrook as a top 5 player because well he has stats. LOL If not for durant having the refs on his side. OKC wouldve been eliminated in the first round.

3-time NBA All-Star

westbrook is to cp3 what lebron is to magic. Stat says westbrook/lebron wins it by a landslide but result speaks otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I hear what you are saying. But I don't think Chris Paul gets an unfair shake from the critical couch potato groups now that are storming the boards. Could you imagine the heat Rose would have gotten if he had the collapse that Paul had? Paul barely got heat for it all - I don't recall a thread about it. I think all superstars get the excess, outside of Paul. Westbrook outplayed Paul, in a critical series - not one thread about it. Paul senses Rose is a threat and puts on a dribble exhibition that angered Rose and Rose responded, heavy handed - not one thread about it. Paul is not held to the standard that Westbrook or Rose is yet he is near the end of his prime and they are just entering theirs.

Btw, Walt Frazier, was the best player on his second championship team and nobody was close in the regular season or post season. And he ran a great offense as well.
    You are lying. ISH crashed from the amount of threads made about Chris Paul after that Game 5 Blunder. Go back and check.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Parker runs an offense better. He is not a ball stopper like CP3 is. Parker is a better defender then CP3. Parker is more unstoppable going in to the lane, and a better finisher down low.

CP3 does nothing better then Parker, except flashy passes.

Parker doesn't need to make flashy passes, his passing is just as effective as CP3 if not more so.
    If you actually think parker is a better defender there is no point in arguing the rest of this.

Parker is a nice player. He's quick but under control. Elite finisher. Excellent ball mover. Besides that, he's an average shooter and defender, and plays for the greatest coach of our time.

CP3 is elite in ALL of those areas. Until BG he never played with anyone else on his level. The best coach hes had is Doc (who is soooo overrated). Nobody protects the ball while getting anywhere he wants like Paul. He and parker are both great shooters from the elbow. Paul's floater has surpasses TP's IMO.

One bad series of plays on national TV and everybody thinks they can talk shit on the point gawd
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 09-10-2014 at 09:48 AM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    You are lying. ISH crashed from the amount of threads made about Chris Paul after that Game 5 Blunder. Go back and check.
    Ish crashed because it was an incredible game in the playoffs. Seven point lead with 39 seconds? to go will crash ish no matter what.

Here is the Ish page that night. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/for...324&order=desc Amazingly, Rose is mentioned as much as Chris Paul is. This is without really playing in two years!!! But if you go to thru the pages there are about four impulse threads made up about CP3 debacle with only a total of like 30 post in total.

Go five or six pages back right now and see what Rose got for his FIBA play last week for one game. Remind you MJ had a 4 point FIBA game in his absolute prime. In contrast Rose got 8 threads for his 15 minutes of play in a blow out win - and well over 4 times the amount of CP3 blunder post. Are you really trying to compare?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    WB's intelligence is underrated actually. In an interview he gave to ESPN magazine...

Let me tell you something else I've heard. I knew you were sharp, but this blew me away: Is it true you could've gone to Stanford for academics?

Yeah, I was about to go to Stanford out of high school.

For basketball, too?

No, for academics. Stanford didn't recruit me for basketball. In high school, I was honor roll, sixth or seventh in my class GPA-wise, a 3.90 overall, but I got 4.0s all the time. And I wanted to go to Stanford. I mean, I wanted to play basketball, but my parents would always say, 'Without school, you'll be stuck.' So I started paying more attention to school, and I played basketball along with it. But I was just getting noticed in basketball and I had to figure out what made sense in basketball, so I put a hold on school stuff. I wanted to go to Stanford, and my dean told me with my grades I was in good shape. But they didn't want me for basketball.

Who knows, maybe if he didn't pursue basketball he coulda been a world renowned scientist now, one that found the cure for cancer. His determination and relentless attitude would sure help in that quest.
    Whoop de dam doo. I certainly never said he wasn't intelligent. Most people have an exceptional intelligence. Hopefully they aren't dribbling a ball instead of curing cancer if they have that ability. That would, ironically, be criminally stupid, if he did.

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    He puts up cute statistical numbers in the regular season. He's pretty much the Dwight Howard of point guards when the Playoffs come around. He'll have a dominating series here or there against some weaker teams in the first round and then a contender takes his cookie in the Semis(he chokes).

But who would you really put above CP3? The only guy that has a case is Westbrook, and he was indeed a better player in the Playoffs.
    Dwight led his team to the finals.
    You are obviously a butthurt lakers fanboy still mad about him leaving.