Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: South Park RPG in the works

Played it. Beat it. Loved it. I completed most of the sidequests and got about 15 hours out of it. But I tended to explore everything I could and fart on anything and everything. I did not get all the collectibles though.

A big part of whether or not you'll really like this game depends on if you're a fan of the show and its style of humour. I am a fan of the show so all the little references and the insane amount of fan-service was fantastic. So many of the best characters and storylines are included as part of quests or get mentioned. It is the funniest game I've ever played. You can tell the huge amount of effort put in by the South Park guys to make a game that their fans would love.

All that compensated for the game being VERY easy and the combat itself becoming a bit repetitive once you find a set of attacks, teammate and items that you become comfortable with. After the halfway point or so, I basically stuck with Butters as my "buddy" and had a set routine of attacks that could win most of the fights. If you've ever played any RPG with turn-based combat (Final Fantasy style), this game will be a breeze. I played on the "hardcore" difficulty right from the start and really only had trouble with one boss battle.

If anyone ever played Costume Quest, South Park has similar base RPG mechanics but with more options and detail.

IMO, being a fan of the show is the difference between this being a "6/10" or a "8/10" experience for you.
    Last edited by Qwyjibo; 03-11-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    The reviews have all been decent. It's metacritic-ing in the low to mid 80s. But one of the the big gripes has been that it's short, but for a guy like me who plays 4-6 games a year, short is fine, maybe better. That's also why I almost only play game of the year level games. If I'm only gonna play a half dozen games, I'd like them to be 95%ers. Sort of cultural touchstone type games ... just ones that aren't FPSers.

I am a big fan of the show. So I think I will check this out. My taste is usually Third Person action / adventure, with some RPG elements. Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Resident Evil, Dead Space, going back to Zelda and Metroid, and branching out into the Elder Scrolls a bit when I want to get deeper into the RPG elements. How RPG-y is this would you say?

Thanks by the way.
    You don't really grind to level up like in skyrim, although you could (not needed tho). Levelling just happens, and by levelling you unlock weapons and armor that are level locked. Otherwise there's not much point in it. You do get a point to upgrade your abilities for each level.

The combat is cake, and like the qwyjibo said once you find a move set and partner you can just spam your way through the battles. If you're looking for a deep gameplay experience go elsewhere. You buy this game 100% for it's visuals, artstyle, and because you're a fan of the show.

I would also like to point out the framerate drops on the ps3 version... wowsa sometimes it must drop down to the low teens lol.

I loved the game, but if you aren't a fan of South Park's humor, you won't like it. If you are, you will love it. It's a solid game either way.

I was going to order the grand wizard collection but buy the time I decided I wanted to spend the money on it Futureshop sold the last 3 in stock.

I loved the game, maybe a little heavy on fart humor, but it's southpark, so to be expected.

Certain parts had me rolling. (Although I won't give spoilers.) Especially the ending which is totally ridiculous.

The game is probably 14-20 hours long depending on how many side quests you do.

The combat is mostly a cakewalk. A few parts that were difficult, but I constantly found I had plenty of potions on hand and more money than I could possibly ever spend.

If you like Southpark, it's way fun.

If you don't like Southpark, get something else.

Ran fantastically on PC, none of the framerate issues mentioned by others.

Although some of the mash "S" key tasks were almost undoable for me.

Only just now getting out of canada.

Made my guy a thief in hopes of cartman making mexican jokes.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

ill prob pick it up when the price drops. I hear that it's paper mario in the south park universe which is a good thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    ill prob pick it up when the price drops. I hear that it's paper mario in the south park universe which is a good thing.
    Yeah, I might get it when price starts dropping. Is it on next-gen?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    I'm a huge fan of the Paper Mario series, and that was the first thing I said after a couple of battles. It's a solid game, maybe a little too easy... but a few legit LOL moments.

I don't know what made me laugh more, the fact that they have "Jew" as one of the playable classes, or the fact that an ISHer called it before the details even came out lol.