JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY JohnWall2's Avatar

Default best way 2 work on left handles?

my left handles weakest part of my game, wats da best way 2 work on dat? i mean it isnt bad but i want 2 be dominate in every aspect of my game

Banned

Default Re: best way 2 work on left handles?

Every time you dribble a ball when shooting around use your left hand, try working on finishing with your left hand to gain a better feel for the ball in your left hand. Also do some drills that will involve driving/running whilst dribbling left handed.

It's good to simulate in game situations with drills like setting up witches hats, chairs etc. and pretending they're defenders in which you must get around and use crossovers and hesitations to get around them.

At the end of the day though it comes down to how familiar you are with the ball in your left hand and using the muscles in your left arm/hand so it's going to take time. If you want to limit the time it takes to learn to use your left then spend all your time on it, whether it be basketball or just things in the house, start using your left hand/arm more.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ2k8
    Every time you dribble a ball when shooting around use your left hand, try working on finishing with your left hand to gain a better feel for the ball in your left hand. Also do some drills that will involve driving/running whilst dribbling left handed.

It's good to simulate in game situations with drills like setting up witches hats, chairs etc. and pretending they're defenders in which you must get around and use crossovers and hesitations to get around them.

At the end of the day though it comes down to how familiar you are with the ball in your left hand and using the muscles in your left arm/hand so it's going to take time. If you want to limit the time it takes to learn to use your left then spend all your time on it, whether it be basketball or just things in the house, start using your left hand/arm more.
    feels so awkward wen doin normal stuff round da house wit da left but i guess itll help.. thx im gon keep workin on dat

Serious playground baller

Use your left hand more and do two ball drills

Saw a basketball once jerzymade's Avatar

here is some drills i've seen from camps and universities, body wrap drills where you circle the ball around your head, waist, legs, then ankle there are videos on youtube just in case you don't know, Ganon baker uses these. Do the Mikan drills alot of college and pro players still do this drill, all you have to do is stand in front of the basket and use your right and left hand to lay the ball up, while using proper lay-up form and you catch the ball with the non shooting hand. The first drill is obviously a ball handling drill and should do 30 reps five times a day going in both directions. The mikan drill will help your lay-ups and develop and soft touch around the rim. And the simplest way to improve is just dribbling anywhere left handed only. Now its just up to you.

College superstar

Usually, your left handles are good enough if you've been practicing. You've gotta consciously use your left in game situations. The way I improved my left handles the most was forcing myself to use my left during pickup games. Just keep at it, and eventually you'll become much better at it.

I actually find going left much easier than going right even though I almost exclusively drove right.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

My right hand is better for handling (naturally), but my drives on the left side are far superior to my right side. I'm more comfortable and it's easier to drive right, but once I attack left, I can finish with contact much better

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    My right hand is better for handling (naturally), but my drives on the left side are far superior to my right side. I'm more comfortable and it's easier to drive right, but once I attack left, I can finish with contact much better
    same here, but doing crossovers with my left is weak compared to right .. but yeah , carmelo also drives in w/ left most of the time

Dunking on everybody in the park

I read j kidd did everything left handed for a summer....

so I spent one summer working on that left hand dribble, and that was it bingo! I can dribble and finish left handed...better then my right, as my achilles on my left leg is gone...
    Last edited by stevieming; 04-16-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Saw a basketball once

i did that too. one summer in high school i went to the park everyday and used my left hand exclusively in games of 1 on 1, 21, etc. i mean going left everytime. youll know your doing it right when people start asking you if you are left handed. when the summer was over i could do things with my left that i (still) cant do with my right.

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

while dribbling with your left hand, throw a tennis ball up into the air with your right hand, and catch it in the same hand. throwing and catching the ball forces you to dribble without looking at the ball, or concentrating on it. when you get good at this, try it but with a cross over, and then with a between the legs. its really helpful. also try dribbling two balls at one, then crossing over, then between the legs.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by theydidntnameme
    i did that too. one summer in high school i went to the park everyday and used my left hand exclusively in games of 1 on 1, 21, etc. i mean going left everytime. youll know your doing it right when people start asking you if you are left handed. when the summer was over i could do things with my left that i (still) cant do with my right.
    spot on...yeah I had that....hahah, it fools them when I go yeah and then go back to scoring right hand layups...

my left still sucks

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by theydidntnameme
    It's funny when people ask you if you're lefthanded. It's like, "Figure it out."