Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once Jxgator33's Avatar

Default Putting the pull-up jump shot in my game

I'm having some trouble doing the pull-up jump shot in game. I'm a 15 year old 6'2 shooter, so obviously a pull-up would be a great shot for me. I have shot thousands of pull-ups in drills this off-season and am now proficient shooting off the dribble. In open gym so far though, my game has still been all driving and three pointers. How do I implement them into my game? I know how to do them really well now, I just don't know when I guess.

Thanks.

Banned

Default Re: Putting the pull-up jump shot in my game

Shotfake, 1 or 2 dribbles, pull up.. or on the break. I'd say those 2 are the easiest.

if you are only taking lay ups or threes, you may be in an overly aggressive stance. when you drive, stay under control. watch a guy like cp3, whenever he drives, hes always under control, always in a stance where he can explode to the rim, pass, or pull up. so when you drive, keep your head up, and bend your knees, getting low to the ground, but remaining under control

Just keep practicing and then start conscientiously doing it games. Eventually it will feel natural. The pullup jumper something the defense gives you tho remember that. If your man is backed off you a lot pull up. If he sticks with you on the drive where you can't get passed him then pull up, if he bites on a pump fake take a dribble or 2 and pull up if the lane is clogged. It's about reading the game.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Jxgator33
    I'm having some trouble doing the pull-up jump shot in game. I'm a 15 year old 6'2 shooter, so obviously a pull-up would be a great shot for me. I have shot thousands of pull-ups in drills this off-season and am now proficient shooting off the dribble. In open gym so far though, my game has still been all driving and three pointers. How do I implement them into my game? I know how to do them really well now, I just don't know when I guess.

Thanks.
    I had the same problem, when I started to play for the swedish youth national I felt my shot was way to slow and I didn't get any good looks since foreign national teams play with really tall players.

What worked for me was practicing on my step-back jumper, I worked on it like crazy and it resulted in me getting more space to work with against taller players and the step-back is a quick shot you have to learn anyway so give it a try..

Saw a basketball once Jxgator33's Avatar

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna get someone to film me next time I go play pickup somewhere to see the stance thing. I'm also gonna try to look for my opportunities more and try to read the defense better.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna get someone to film me next time I go play pickup somewhere to see the stance thing. I'm also gonna try to look for my opportunities more and try to read the defense better.
    yeah seeing yourself, is honestly the best way to fix errors. Whether its by yourself, with a partner, 3 on 3, 5 on 5, it honestly doesn't matter.

At 15 years old, 6'2 nice frame prolly play SG. Just get your shot reps in and it will start coming. one dribble pull up right make 50 of them. then make 50 left dribble pull ups. make 50 hesitations pull ups. do this all from mid range. 50 one dribbble banks shots also for shyts and giggles.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    yeah seeing yourself, is honestly the best way to fix errors. Whether its by yourself, with a partner, 3 on 3, 5 on 5, it honestly doesn't matter.

At 15 years old, 6'2 nice frame prolly play SG. Just get your shot reps in and it will start coming. one dribble pull up right make 50 of them. then make 50 left dribble pull ups. make 50 hesitations pull ups. do this all from mid range. 50 one dribbble banks shots also for shyts and giggles.

Word up, liloj!
    Haha, where are you man? I never see any posts from you in the forum anymore!

BEAST

Thanks.
    i agree adding pull up in your game will help you in the long run so work on it.

but if you can consistently put up a 3 pt shot or take it to the rack, why do you need to pull up

it's always good to mix it up but if you are getting the easy shots take them, no point showing your whole offensive game if your opponents cant force it out of you

couple tips, go hard and practice at game speed, i am surprised you cant do it in a pick up game in open gym if you practiced thousands of pull up shots during off season

also, you need to know when to pull up. (if the defender is riding you during dribble drive or has a step or half step on you , pull up, if there's a big inside the paint waiting for the swat, pull up to draw him out ....etc)

I rule the local playground

If you can shoot off the dribble, but you don't you probably need to work on your handles and ball control.

work on your crossovers, step-backs, half-spins into post-up, and similar moves which let you transition from driving to shooting while utilizing the space you've created from the drive.

The pull-up jumper on its own is only really useful when your defenders give you tons of space because they're worried about you getting to the basket, in which case you can probably just take a 3 if you're good at those. using pull up jumper is only really useful if you're considerably better mid-range shooter than long-range shooter and your opponents are playing off you.

If you're trying to score from mid-range, but you're not fast enough off the dribble to keep your defenders at a distance then you need to work on your handles and the type of moves i mentioned in 2nd paragraph.
    Last edited by Kiarip; 10-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.

I agree with kiarip especially the cross overs. Learn to do a basic cross-over and it will give you the space to pull up. Jordan did this all the time.

If you are gonna pull up on a dime, the trick is to elevate as much as you physically can.

This gives you the extra milliseconds to square your body to the basket while still having plenty of space to get your shot off.

If you don't incorporate a move like a stepback or crossover, you are gonna get face-guarded on your pull-up shots a lot.

Trick to a great mid-game is to always know where your teammates when the help defender comes or if you fail your move.

Easiest move I used when I was younger: get half-way past your defender, stop on a dime, then pump-fake emphatically. If your defender bites, he is gonna go flying by, so raise up and shoot the open jumper.

If he doesn't bite all the way, know where you can pass or try an up-and-under if you are in deep ish.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast
    but if you can consistently put up a 3 pt shot or take it to the rack, why do you need to pull up

it's always good to mix it up but if you are getting the easy shots take them, no point showing your whole offensive game if your opponents cant force it out of you
    That was my first thought as well. It's great to have all the tools in your game for when you need them (like the pull-up) but I believe in doing only what's necessary to score. If you're getting to the paint at will as is (or getting an easy jumper as an alternative) there's not going to be the need right at this moment to force yourself to take pull-ups in a game.

However, the pull-up will likely be necessary at some point. No matter how swift you are (assuming you're in high school), some defenses will eventually pack the paint tight enough with a zone scheme that you'll have no other choice but to pull up on a drive. A lot of the biggest killers I've played against at the high school level were guys who could handle blowing past their man on the perimeter and resist plowing into the paint over numerous defenders.

So, clearly, the work you're putting in on your pull-up game is eventually going to pay big dividends if you continue to make that effort. Sometimes, the primary contributor to stunting a player's growth is the competition that surrounds them. I've seen some players that were all-or-nothing guys (either 3 pointer or full drive to the rim) because their surroundings allowed it. They could survive in this manner within their community. However, when eventually facing tougher competition, they were at a loss. This is why I always encourage my little brothers to think bigger. They might not always need to utilize a lot of moves in their arsenal, but it's always good to be prepared, because that time will come. If not in high school, then college.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    That was my first thought as well. It's great to have all the tools in your game for when you need them (like the pull-up) but I believe in doing only what's necessary to score. If you're getting to the paint at will as is (or getting an easy jumper as an alternative) there's not going to be the need right at this moment to force yourself to take pull-ups in a game.

However, the pull-up will likely be necessary at some point. No matter how swift you are (assuming you're in high school), some defenses will eventually pack the paint tight enough with a zone scheme that you'll have no other choice but to pull up on a drive. A lot of the biggest killers I've played against at the high school level were guys who could handle blowing past their man on the perimeter and resist plowing into the paint over numerous defenders.

So, clearly, the work you're putting in on your pull-up game is eventually going to pay big dividends if you continue to make that effort. Sometimes, the primary contributor to stunting a player's growth is the competition that surrounds them. I've seen some players that were all-or-nothing guys (either 3 pointer or full drive to the rim) because their surroundings allowed it. They could survive in this manner within their community. However, when eventually facing tougher competition, they were at a loss. This is why I always encourage my little brothers to think bigger. They might not always need to utilize a lot of moves in their arsenal, but it's always good to be prepared, because that time will come. If not in high school, then college.
    first i have to say i quite shocked at your response rake, with your great bball iq and knowledge.

Every "good" guard i use that term loosely, needs to be able to pull up. ESPECIALLY, in the pick and roll game. I repeat that especially in the pick and roll game. Coming off the edge, the help defender more times then not is going to be sagging in the paint, especially if you have driving ability ( this is in real game/live situation). You have to be able to pull up coming off the pick with confidence.

dude, called Derrick Rose destroyed NBA defenses this year doing that. Chris Paul murders defenses doing that all. The game when Brandon Jennings dropped 55 points, that's all he did. Watch the tapes, everyone.

Not to mention making just one or two coming off the an on the ball screen, now the defense has to play you differently. now they have to hedge, this where you start showing out. look for the hole, split it and finish at rim ( ala Russell Westbrook)

or

hit the edge again, a lot of times it is blocking foul cause the big has slow feet, or if you did hit the edge take it to rim ( ala 2000-2008 Tracy Mcgrady) or look for the on roller, because he will be open if you can beat the hedger to the edge, or look for the guy in the deep baseline corner for the kick out 3 ball.

All this opens up, if you just develop a competent pull up jump shot. no one is saying settle for pull up jumpers in isolation situation ( i'm talking to you OJ Mayo, my favorite player). But when used appropriately it literally can make you so much more of a threat on the court.

OP, just do what i said in the previous post and you will see an approvement sooner rather than later. I sware that's the problem with these young ballas, us OGs try to educate them. They take in the information, but don't go out on the court and execute what we tell them to do.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    first i have to say i quite shocked at your response rake, with your great bball iq and knowledge.

Every "good" guard i use that term loosely, needs to be able to pull up. ESPECIALLY, in the pick and roll game. I repeat that especially in the pick and roll game. Coming off the edge, the help defender more times then not is going to be sagging in the paint, especially if you have driving ability ( this is in real game/live situation). You have to be able to pull up coming off the pick with confidence.

dude, called Derrick Rose destroyed NBA defenses this year doing that. Chris Paul murders defenses doing that all. The game when Brandon Jennings dropped 55 points, that's all he did. Watch the tapes, everyone.

Not to mention making just one or two coming off the an on the ball screen, now the defense has to play you differently. now they have to hedge, this where you start showing out. look for the hole, split it and finish at rim ( ala Russell Westbrook)

or

hit the edge again, a lot of times it is blocking foul cause the big has slow feet, or if you did hit the edge take it to rim ( ala 2000-2008 Tracy Mcgrady) or look for the on roller, because he will be open if you can beat the hedger to the edge, or look for the guy in the deep baseline corner for the kick out 3 ball.

All this opens up, if you just develop a competent pull up jump shot. no one is saying settle for pull up jumpers in isolation situation ( i'm talking to you OJ Mayo, my favorite player). But when used appropriately it literally can make you so much more of a threat on the court.

OP, just do what i said in the previous post and you will see an approvement sooner rather than later. I sware that's the problem with these young ballas, us OGs try to educate them. They take in the information, but don't go out on the court and execute what we tell them to do.
    I agree whole-heartedly in regards to the necessity of a pull-up J. I was just trying to get a grasp on the original poster's specific issue. I suppose his post was at least a little open to interpretation:

"I have shot thousands of pull-ups in drills this off-season and am now proficient shooting off the dribble. In open gym so far though, my game has still been all driving and three pointers. How do I implement them into my game? I know how to do them really well now, I just don't know when. . ."

To me, he was saying he'd already established an ability to knock down the pull-up jumper with regularity but just hadn't found a time in-game where he's had to rely on it. He seemed to be saying he was still able to either get to the rack at will or fire a spot up three. My point was: don't feel the need to pull off a move just because it's in your arsenal. Instead, use it only when you need it. For instance, I'm not Euro-stepping when I've already got my man beat on a fast break. It'd be over-complicating the process and performing a move just to perform a move.

As I mentioned further in my response, it was my belief if he didn't need the pull-up now (as he seemed to be insinuating), then he'd soon need it in the future. My 2nd and 3rd paragraphs both detailed the imperative need to have a pull-up jumper in the arsenal. I take pride in the fact my little brother developed his mid-range first before extending to the 3pt. line. Now he's a killer from anywhere. Often, players will develop their 3pt. shot first and perhaps never truly give the mid-range pull-up the love it deserves.

With all that said, strangely, I didn't shoot very many mid-range jumpers in high school, so that's where I was coming from in translating his initial statement. I made a healthy living in high school off of free throws, slashes, lay-ups, and triples. It was great to know I had the mid-range in my arsenal, I just didn't use it nearly as much as my other skills.

Finally, a lot of high school basketball is going to vary so much from the NBA game that it might as well be from another planet. And I don't mean in terms of skill. Rather, a guy like Brandon Jennings in that 55 point game was operating off of high screens set about 28 feet from the basket, turning it into a game of "beat the hedge then pull up before the other three defenders who are posted along the baseline can close out on me in time". It's often more difficult to make such a living at the high school level due to 1) Endless amounts of legal zone defenses and 2) teams operating in a smaller box (with the three point line standing at 19'9''). Often times, a three pointer is the pull-up jumper. Of course, those high screens will still work all day if you're a guy like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxc09r04pJI

But yes, as different as the NBA game is from high school, that mid-range J is still just as necessary. As I mentioned in my first response, some of the best players I've played against in high school were those who were able to consistently get to around the 13-15 foot range and drain the little pull-up. Surely, if they could get all the way to the rack they would. But when we'd pack the paint tight, they'd have an answer. And I think that's what it's all about.

Edit: You know a big thing I was missing this whole time? Jxgator was only referring to open gym. Open gym's going to be night and day different from actual high school games. Open gyms are often going to feature man-to-man defense and very limited help. Therefore, it's a recipe for strong drives to the basket, all day. So I can see why you're wondering when the heck you're supposed to be pulling up. I think we all experience that sometimes. If I can beat my man in a pick-up game and know multiple defenders won't be camped out in the paint, and they're not going to take a charge, I'm taking that thing to the rim. And if the defender sags off of me, I'm probably going to rifle a three. Now, not to be mistaken, I do know some folks with gross mid-range games they utilize all the time even in pick-up. I even shoot more mid-range J's than I'm letting on. I'm just saying now I understand how you might be going through a "when do I pull-up if I can just get to the hole every play" phase. When the real organized basketball begins for you this year, I think your mid-range opportunities will become clear and obvious.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-22-2011 at 02:43 PM.