Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    College superstar

Default LeBron's 5 consecutive finals apperences - unprecedented in the modern era

we hear about the east being weak (it is..don't get me wrong), but its LITERALLY no weaker than the eastern conference of the early 2000s or the watered down 90s.

yes, i originally said it wasn't that impressive - but i've come to the conclusion that even i am spoiled by lebron's greatness. the best player in the game is doing something historical - winning a 60+ win atlanta hawks team without his best players who are allstar caliber, but WITH new york knicks' rejects - unreal..

now unlike most casual fans, i hate ring counting. its counter productive & generally void of any perspective. now that being said, IF lebron were to lead his team to a ring, and he were to play at a similar and/or even higher level, there will be goat talks - as there should be. you just don't beat one of the greatest teams (warriors are statistically one of the best teams of all-time relative to competition) with a cast equivalent to the bad news bears.

so yes, if lebron were to do that, he would be a consensus top 3 player. as he were to do 2 of the following things:

-win the city of cleveland a championship
    -lead his team to victory against one of the greatest units ever

until the finals

Local High School Star SpaceJammeR's Avatar

Default Re: LeBron's 5 consecutive finals apperences - unprecedented in the modern era

I too agree. I thought the cavs had no chance against the bulls and Atlanta with love out and kyrie injured. If they some how best the warriors there will be a lot of suicides.

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Default Re: LeBron's 5 consecutive finals apperences - unprecedented in the modern era

If Bron beats the Warriors, @ what this board will become.

5 consecutive finals appearances doesn't sound that impressive when you jump from super friends to super friends 2.0. He'd probably get more credit for this finals if it was at least with the Heat (which that of itself was despicable).

Will people drool over 6 finals appearances in a row if he jumps ship after this season to join the Spurs as super friends 3.0 and they make it to the finals? Where do you draw the line?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    LeBron James.
    Yes, I know.

It's both. Bron's greatness and the lack of competition in the east have to do with it. The same caliber of teams he has lost to in the finals are the teams he'd have to face in the the 1st 2 rounds if he played in the west most years.

And the 90's east was way better than it is now. Stop it.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by COnDEMnED
    5 consecutive finals appearances doesn't sound that impressive when you jump from super friends to super friends 2.0. He'd probably get more credit for this finals if it was at least with the Heat (which that of itself was despicable).

Will people drool over 6 finals appearances in a row if he jumps ship after this season to join the Spurs as super friends 3.0 and they make it to the finals? Where do you draw the line?
    If he goes to San Antonio, and then Leonard, Duncan, and Parker all get injured and he takes Patty Mills, Ginobli, and Diaw to the Finals then yes that will be just as impressive as this year.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by funnystuff
    If Bron beats the Warriors, @ what this board will become.
    the forum would be littered with naysayers trying to downplay lebron's greatness - but among the common fan, media, peers and analytic heads, the guy will be in the GOAT tier - and that's all that matters.

another finals appearance by itself is amazing when you consider its a NEW team that is plagued with injuries. a championship would be unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    If he goes to San Antonio, and then Leonard, Duncan, and Parker all get injured and he takes Patty Mills, Ginobli, and Diaw to the Finals then yes that will be just as impressive as this year.
    Trick question. Lebron would never ring chase in the western conference. Too much adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    but its LITERALLY no weaker than the eastern conference of the early 2000s or the watered down 90s.
    if it was literally no weaker than there would have been an eastern super-team in the early 2000's comprised of 3 Team USA players.

for example if Vince Carter teamed up with Kevin Garnett and Allen Iverson in their primes like some other balding superstar, Carter would have gone to 5 straight finals in that era.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    if it was literally no weaker than there would have been an eastern super-team in the early 2000's comprised of 3 Team USA players.

for example if Vince Carter teamed up with Kevin Garnett and Allen Iverson in their primes like some other balding superstar, Carter would have gone to 5 straight finals in that era.
    The Kobe stans disgust me seriously so much insecurity and hate for lebron anything to try to convince themselves lebron isn't the better player and will finish higher in all time lists.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Dat collusion rate.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Top 1 GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by COnDEMnED

First name how many players have gone to 5 straight finals. Then while you're at it, let us know their team strength relative to the league.

Ironically, Lebron's done it with the least help.

ah, I see I convinced you