Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: John Wall 3 pointer watch.

Just hit another one. 2-18

Whats the big deal with him not shooting or making 3's.

Young Wade didn't make many 3's. Neither did Jordan. They seemed to turn out fine.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    Whats the big deal with him not shooting or making 3's.

Young Wade didn't make many 3's. Neither did Jordan. They seemed to turn out fine.
    Probably because Jordan and Wade are efficient...

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

The lack of three-pointers is not an issue for Wall, I don't believe. I think it says something positive about him, in fact, that he understands his outside shooting is not where he is going to make hay at this point in his career, so he doesn't take them. That shows some maturity on his part.

That isn't his game and he knows it.

What concerns me when I look at his numbers -- and this is strictly a statistical thing, since I haven't seen much of the Wiz this year -- is his plummeting assist numbers. His playmaking has always been the thing that made up for some of his other offensive deficiencies.

He's averaging just 5.5 assists in 32+ minutes a game over the last 6 games.

In fact, just 7.1 per game since he came back from injury in early January. That would be a nice number for a Steph Curry or Kyrie Irving, guys who are great scorers who can make shots from anywhere on the floor.

But, for Wall, he needs to be better than that.

Maybe Tontoz or one of the other in the know Wizards fans on the board can explain why his playmaking hasn't been there this year... At least statistically.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Btw, I feel that Wall likely will be a very nice player in this league for his career, but I also don't think he has quite the ridiculous ceiling that a lot of fans indicate simply based on his athleticism.

The reason is, while he is a superior athlete when it comes to straight-line speed and jumping to go along with a ridiculously long frame for a point guard, from what I've seen over the years, he loses a lot of that advantage if you make him change direction when he gets to that top speed. He tends to get out-of-control, he is moving so fast and that shouldn't happen for an elite point guard.

Staying within yourself and being able to change directions on a dime can be far more important than track speed or jumping ability.

Rondo is a good example of a guy who has both... Great straight-line speed and wide frame, but also great at changing speed/direction when the defense dictates it.

I'm also not sure Wall has the elite kind of ball-handling skills that would be almost mandatory to become the best PG in the league without a reliable jumper. His handle is OK, but -- again -- I see him lose control sometimes (once again, haven't seen much of him this year). That may be a product of him moving at warp speed so often, but that would just be another reason that ridiculous track speed may not be the best trait for a point guard.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm coming down too hard on him. He can be a very good defender when his head is in it, he is a very good passer and he can get to the lane pretty much when he wants. Those are three things almost any team would love to have in their point guard.

But, I do think his athleticism and how it translates to the position is a bit over-stated.

For a point guard, quickness trumps speed, balance/coordination trumps leaping. That isn't to say he couldn't develop these areas of his game. He is still a very young player.

And, he and Beal seem to be a near perfect match. They fit together like a glove.

Banned

He will make some more within 5 games. Wall was very out of shape when he first got back from injury. Due to stamina and not enough Lift he could not make a DAM Jump shot but Past 3 games he made couple including Game winner. He has recovered not sure if he is 100% but soon we will see some improvement on his Jump shot.

My main concern with Wall is,his decision making towards end of the game. ALWAYS A TurnOver which amazes me.

But his Defense also amazes me.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by LikeABosh
    Magic Johnson didn't make threes for the first half of his career
    magic can eat u with his post skills

3 in one half

He's on fire! I guess he remembered how to shoot threes finally.

4 point play tonight, i think his first ever.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    4 point play tonight, i think his first ever.

He's on fire. In no time he should be able to get his first 5 point play.