Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: If 3-pt line was removed from today's game, what style of play would be used?

The game would be slower. If they removed the 3-pt line and then didn't add back in illegal D, the game would be UGLY. I'm talking 78-80 point games on the regular

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: If 3-pt line was removed from today's game, what style of play would be used?

A team scoring 78 is pretty rough but I watched plenty of great games with the scores something like 94 - 86. Just a matter of taste I guess. I like big guys scoring down low. I don't mind some teams where the offense is perimeter focused but I'd like to see some grind it out teams too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gimmedarock

the current style emphasizes team ball so much...

[COLOR="Red"]I miss occasional 1 one on one moments.[/COLOR]
    Spacing makes it far easier to isolate effectively today than previous eras..

Just ask Lebron how much extra room the spacing gave him in the 2015 Finals when he was isolating on every possession.. There's never been isolations that gave the ballhandler so much room - ever - and it's due to the spacing.

However, we don't see isolations as often OVERALL anymore, because sufficient 3-point shooting exists to drive-and-kick for 3-pointers (instead of 2-pointers), which turned drive-and-kick into a more efficient option than 1-on-1.. It's a mathematical fact.

But back when sufficient 3-point shooting personnel didn't exist, teams could only drive-and-kick for 2-pointers, so 1-on-1 was the better option.. Essentially, today's game has a [COLOR="Navy"]more efficient offensive option[/COLOR] (drive-and-kick), which makes it an easier game..

Quote Originally Posted by Gimmedarock

the current style [COLOR="Red"]emphasizes team ball so much[/COLOR]
    The SPACING is what allows it.

It's funny how you guys always omit the spacing, even though that's the CAUSE of today's teamwork.. Teams didn't just wake up one day and decide to move the ball more - the spacing allows today's ball movement.

That's why I laughed earlier itt when BigKAT posted a gif that he thought exhibited great passing, since today's spacing allows that kind of play on EVERY play.. Those plays aren't rare - they're commonplace and therefore NOT great.

Otoh, the lack of spacing in previous eras made great plays more rare, which is how it's supposed to be.. I don't need immediate gratification - i WANT to wait for a great play, that way I know it's truly great and can appreciate it more.