Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beneficial/Deterimental Player Personality Types

Just a bunch of 'Types' as I see it.
    Obviously no two people are exactly the same but through the years I feel like there are a few 'categories', some you could argue are essential to success while others you could say sometimes work and sometimes not.
    *Please note this has nothing to do with Stats, purely personality.

The Bad Guy:
    That one player that is all grit. Doesn't make commiting hard fouls to 'set the tone' or hound the opposing team's best offensive player, go at him personally and try to shake up his psych. These players can take a hit, and give a hit. You'd see them at the center of playoff games scuffles, staring down an opponet from up close, or rushing to a teammate's help when he is knocked to the ground.

(Ron Artest/Patrick Beverly)

The Heart&Soul:
    Often it seems close to the 'Bad Guy' since these players often get into scuffles and jump to teammate's defense when hard fouls are given. But these players often act out of a protective instinct. They are very emotional and can be seen sometimes direction the emotion at their own teammates, trying to lift them up. These guys are considered good locker room guys, and leaders in their own noisy way.

(Joakim Noah/Draymond Green)

The Pesudo Coach:
    Usually reserved for Point Guards, but not exclusive to.
    The players that run their own offense often. They are very dominant in calling plays and breaking them up as they see fit, these are commonly accomplished players as otherwise their Coachs might not see their domination of the offense as a positive thing. Some players cope with their domination well while others feel limited by them.

(Chris Paul/Rajon Rondo)

The Buddy:
    Often times it will be the bench guy, cheering and supporting others, but it can also be a star. These are the guys that get along with everyone on the team, are quite nice and draw alot of admiration from their teammates. Be it guys supporting their team from the bench with a grin, or the star who embraces his teammates and lets them have their shine by endorsing them in the Media or just passing them the rock more often.

(Channing Frye/James Jones/Yao Ming)

The Competitor:
    Not to say that the others can't be competetive but this guy is a fighter. His fierceness extends to his teammates and can often cause clashes with them. He may go on a solo 1 on 5 scoring run(Or attempt) when his teammates disappoint him, or lash out at a center publically for not setting a screen too hard. If the team is Winning/doing well, he's your best friend. If you don't play up to his standards, you may get eaten alive.

(Kobe Bryant/Michael Jordan)

The Leader:
    All of those people can be leaders. But some do it differently, they will read into the team's stats, making sure everyone is getting their touchs. They will pass a player the rock several times a game, despite of the score, or how he played so far, knowing that someone with credit on offense works harder on defense. They can be overaware of things, to the point it gets their mind off the right things. At their best, they are the players everyone in the league want to play with. At their worst, they overthink things and get in their own way.

(Lebron James/Magic Johnson)

So if you guys could only pick two for your team? Who are a must?
    Who will do more harm then good?
    And which of those don't get along?
    Last edited by BigKAT; 10-24-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Default Re: Beneficial/Deterimental Player Personality Types

The Bad Guy and the Heart and Soul. Usually, the Heart and Soul is also the leader and the pseudo-coach.

Good High School Starter Lord P's Avatar

The thug:
    Looks to purposely injure or harm opposing players
    Draymond Green/Bill Laimbeer

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

The only 2 guys mentioned in the original post that are known for flopping are in the "leader" and "pseudo coach" categories

Not sure how that doesn't cause for concern in the 21st century of basketball. May need to restructure that if possible.

By the way, nobody on your list makes the "right play" more than the next guy. That's all rhetorical bullshit.

All that basketball IQ has only gotten CP3 a bag of dlcks to show for.

Anyway. Good thread

Quote Originally Posted by 34-24 Footwork
    The only 2 guys mentioned in the original post that are known for flopping are in the "leader" and "pseudo coach" categories

Not sure how that doesn't cause for concern in the 21st century of basketball. May need to restructure that if possible.

By the way, nobody on your list makes the "right play" more than the next guy. That's all rhetorical bullshit.

All that basketball IQ has only gotten CP3 a bag of dlcks to show for.

Anyway. Good thread

That's on purpose my friend.
    Trying to stick strictly to the personality of the player, without regards to much of his abilities. A Pesudo coach is the sole exception as it would require a good player to even get to that situation. But I mean domineering personalities. Which is good if they know what they are doing, but can stunt the growth and abilities of others.

Where does Demarcus Cousins belong from these categories?

Quote Originally Posted by PeroAntic
    Where does Demarcus Cousins belong from these categories?
    Right above Dwight Howard...

Who has a detrimental personality, AND lacks skills to boot.

College superstar

a lot of players here could be listed in multiple categories, and some that would make more sense in another category.

good thread idea, but poor execution tbh

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

ideally you'd like to have all these types since they all bring something good.. in today's era of collusion there is less 'heart and soul' though imo. Your examples for that one are great because both Noah and Dray were homegrown.. you have to have formed from an organic team (like curry / klay / dray did all vastly exceeding their expectations) to have a true heart and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    a lot of players here could be listed in multiple categories, and some that would make more sense in another category.

good thread idea, but poor execution tbh
    Fair enough.
    Criticism helps us grow, what changes would you make?

Also Tpols, you commented about growth from inside the organization, I couldn't agree more. I think that is very important for a 'Heart and Soul' kind of player. He needs to feel like he is -part- of the team. A Mercenary often lacks that sense of belonging, or the confidence to act emotionally in a team where he is new or feels like an outsider.

Competitor and Buddy/Heart&Soul. Leader brings all he can out of the team through negative reinforcement, while Buddy/Heart&Soul keeps them from having too many ups and downs

The Competitor / The Buddy ... they play good cop / bad cop leadership to perfection.

I was just thinking about something similar less than a minute ago. The gambler. Michael Jordan completely focused on the high of winning, absolutely no fear in losing big. Never understood how a gambler's mentality can be so good at something until a minute ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I was just thinking about something similar less than a minute ago. The gambler. Michael Jordan completely focused on the high of winning, absolutely no fear in losing big. Never understood how a gambler's mentality can be so good at something until a minute ago.
    Yeah.
    You can look at All-Time greats often taking things on their shoulders.
    Sometimes it ends in an airball, and sometimes it ends in a championship.

But even the airballs are a positive, just the guts to take the shot is a building block, even if you miss.

But I think the Gambler is mostly a Competitor who says ''Give me the f*** ball'' on the last posession.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    Yeah.
    You can look at All-Time greats often taking things on their shoulders.
    Sometimes it ends in an airball, and sometimes it ends in a championship.

But even the airballs are a positive, just the guts to take the shot is a building block, even if you miss.

But I think the Gambler is mostly a Competitor who says ''Give me the f*** ball'' on the last posession.
    But Jordan is an extreme case. Really only case I know in terms of his level of competitiveness. From the game he developed, to his GOAT level ability in the clutch. (Along with Larry Bird) I'm not talking about the guts to take the shot, since many can and want the glory. I'm talking about his emotional/adrenaline control. Things like that cannot be faked, and for regular players/superstar is more a matter of comfort through experience. With the extreme gambler I see none of those factors, but rather a person so focused on the price of winning, that the normal fear in putting down a good portion of their money doesn't produce the same nervousness that normal people would get.