Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
I think we have a bit different definitions of versatile.

I readily agree that Duncan was more dominant in the low post than Dirk.

I also readily agree that regardless of versatility or options...guys like Shaq and Jordan are more dominant than players that might give you more options like you said.

I also readily agree that, generally speaking, breaking down defenses by getting to the rim or dominating the paint is more effective / valuable.

Those are solid points and I happen to agree with them mostly. I think my point of contention with you is that Dirk was/is far from a player that you can classify with "general rules" or "typical molds"...

Dirk didn't need a dominant low post game because he was so efficient from 10 feet out. So efficient that the efficiency turns to dominance. And when you can combine one of the best post games in the league during his prime with that kind of ability from range...both on the ball and off the ball...and in the screen game. You get some pretty crazy good results that rival, in terms of impact/value, even some of the dominant rim attackers and post players in NBA history.

But, if you are arguing versatility the way in which you have defined it above...I don't think we disagree much here actually...I will say I still think you are under valuing Dirk's "resourcefulness" here as you simply don't do the kind of things he's done offensively for nearly 2 decades if you aren't able to adapt and change with how defenses guard you...but I don't think you are saying he didn't really...so I'm not sure how far apart we really for a change.
Dirk's shot was great, I am amazed that he had coaching somewhat ready for his unique gift. Wilt never had it, Jordan and Shaq the coaching had to catch up to their games. In watching the Knicks, I think Dirk would have even been better in the triangle - its great for where Dirk kills at. Dirk never had the great compliment to his play. Of course most players are this way. I think Duncan and Pop were a great match for both sides of the ball for the most part. And we can only compare their situations as they existed.