Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A few Interesting Passing Stats (Passes/Hockey Assists/Assist to Pass% etc)

Hockey assist or Secondary assist is defined as a pass made by a player to the player who earns an assist on a made shot.

Assist to pass%: the percentage of a player's passes that are assists.

Adjusted assist to pass%: the percentage of a player's passes that are assists, hockey assists or result in FTs.

Passes made top 10:

Rajon Rondo: 75.2 Per Game

Deron Williams: 73.7

John Wall: 71.2

Kemba Walker: 67.3

Kyle Lowry: 64.7

Goran Dragic: 63.6

Isaiah Thomas: 63.4

Mike Conley: 63.3

Jarrett Jack: 63.2

Blake Griffin: 62.5

Hockey assists top 10:

1-Stephen Curry: 2.5 Per Game

2-Jeff Teague: 2.0

3-Tony Parker: 1.9

4-Chris Paul: 1.8

5-Rajon Rondo: 1.7

6-Dellavedova: 1.6

5-Mike Conley: 1.6

6-Westbrook: 1.6

7-Jarret Jack: 1.5

8-Kemba Walker:1.5

9-Ricky Rubio: 1.5

10-Eric Bledsoe: 1.4

Assist to pass% top 10:

1-Russell Westbrook: 17%

2-Rajon Rondo: 15%

3-Kevin Durant: 15%

4-Chris Paul: 14.3%

5-Ricky Rubio: 14.3%

6-John Wall: 13.7%

7-Dwyane Wade: 13.6%

8-James Harden: 13.6%

9-Lance Stephenson: 13.6%

10-LeBron James: 13.2%

Adjusted assist to pass%:

1-Russell Westbrook: 21.7%

2-Chris Paul: 18.8%

3-Rajon Rondo: 18.7%

4-Ricky Rubio: 18.1%

5-Kevin Durant: 17.3%

6-James Harden: 17.2%

7-LeBron James:17.2%

8-John Wall: 17.2%

9-Kobe Bryant: 16.6%

10-Stephen Curry: 16.5%

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: A few Interesting Passing Stats (Passes/Hockey Assists/Assist to Pass% etc)

rent free warriorfan told everyone how all of draymond green's assists are chef curry hockey assists

advanced stats back up the warriorfan test

deal with it

Banned

Default Re: A few Interesting Passing Stats (Passes/Hockey Assists/Assist to Pass% etc)

KD and Beard

Can't wait to see them together in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    rent free warriorfan told everyone how all of draymond green's assists are chef curry hockey assists

deal with it
    Dray gets 1.2 hockey assists per game which is solid too.

NBA lottery pick

deal with it
    Even if EVERYONE of Green's were hockey assisted by Curry, he'd still be at 4.5 a game which is freaking good for a power forward...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Dray gets 1.2 hockey assists per game which is solid too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    Even if EVERYONE of Green's were hockey assisted by Curry, he'd still be at 4.5 a game which is freaking good for a power forward...
    byproducts of the Curry System

NBA lottery pick

Are these NBA.com stats or is someone else publishing this stuff?

But while this is interesting and the hockey assists are a HUGE and welcome addition, the pass to assist percentages need a LOT more context to really get a lot of value from them.

We can look at a guy like Kobe who historically was VERY good at dribbling essentially with the intention of breaking his man down or forcing a hard double and passing out usually to a wide open player. There's nothing wrong with this, but you can't compare that to the assists created through running an offense that a point guard will do. How that context can get added, perhaps assists from ISO plays vs assists (not sure what to call a non iso play) could add some interesting context.

The good and bad of these advanced stats (and really where is this data widely available, I've read a lot of good stuff on how this is being used, but and perhaps it's my general dislike of nba.com's site but I haven't seen much of it) is how much power they have but how they have to be tuned very directly at a very specific question or we end up with meaningless data. The days of PER providing us a simplified way to evaluate the whole box score are over, and now fans have to get much more critical with regards to context (not that it was not needed with PER) to put this data to use.

NBA lottery pick

byproducts of the Curry System
    I'm not taking anything from curry when I say that there just aren't that many guys with green's size who can shoot, pass, and play defense like he does. The "Curry" system is radically changed without Green. Curry is the driving force without a doubt, but Green fits his system as if he were genetically bread for it.

Are these NBA.com stats or is someone else publishing this stuff?

But while this is interesting and the hockey assists are a HUGE and welcome addition, the pass to assist percentages need a LOT more context to really get a lot of value from them.

We can look at a guy like Kobe who historically was VERY good at dribbling essentially with the intention of breaking his man down or forcing a hard double and passing out usually to a wide open player. There's nothing wrong with this, but you can't compare that to the assists created through running an offense that a point guard will do. How that context can get added, perhaps assists from ISO plays vs assists (not sure what to call a non iso play) could add some interesting context.
    There is nothing wrong with getting a hockey assist or an assist via ISO plays, that's how superstars operate, you don't need the distinction since if you watch the NBA regularly you already know which teams execute a good offense and what teams don't.

NBA lottery pick

There is nothing wrong with getting a hockey assist or an assist via ISO plays, that's how superstars operate, you don't need the distinction since if you watch the NBA regularly you already know which teams execute a good offense and what teams don't.
    Nothing is "wrong" with it, but where this is interesting is if we can better isolate and define roles on the court and then compare players with similar roles.

Who has point guard tenancies who isn't a point guard? If we just look at this, one might think that Kobe is like a point when he isn't. I'd want to isolate the iso plays and compare players in iso to each other and see what that data looks like. I'd want to separately see what the data looks like for point guards (or guys who play like one) coming off pick and roles to see how that data looks.

Even with this, my first question is points off these plays. How many points come from the standard assist and the hockey assist etc.

We have data that can help us know what to look for when a team runs a play now like never before. Often we get wrapped up in the game or what the announcers are talking about and miss things that data is screaming out if we're there to listen.

Nothing is "wrong" with it, but where this is interesting is if we can better isolate and define roles on the court and then compare players with similar roles.

Who has point guard tenancies who isn't a point guard? If we just look at this, one might think that Kobe is like a point when he isn't. I'd want to isolate the iso plays and compare players in iso to each other and see what that data looks like. I'd want to separately see what the data looks like for point guards (or guys who play like one) coming off pick and roles to see how that data looks.

Even with this, my first question is points off these plays. How many points come from the standard assist and the hockey assist etc.

We have data that can help us know what to look for when a team runs a play now like never before. Often we get wrapped up in the game or what the announcers are talking about and miss things that data is screaming out if we're there to listen.
    Then what are you waiting for? Here I will make it easier for you

NBA lottery pick

Then what are you waiting for? Here I will make it easier for you
    If only they made extracting data easier, lol

If only they made extracting data easier, lol
    Most of the new advanced stats are in the Player Tracking section, under the search bar there's a drop down menu.

NBA lottery pick

Most of the new advanced stats are in the Player Tracking section, under the search bar there's a drop down menu.
    I'm aware and they give you all kinds of ways to cut the data instead of offering you the ability to download a cube and move it into an sql environment or hell worse case create something in excel with powerpivot and dax...or someone who's smarter than I could use something like python or R or sas...

I'm aware and they give you all kinds of ways to cut the data instead of offering you the ability to download a cube and move it into an sql environment or hell worse case create something in excel with powerpivot and dax...or someone who's smarter than I could use something like python or R or sas...
    It's new to the NBA.com staff too, I hazard their presentation of stats will improve over the years, for now you gotta wade through all the data and find what you looking for.