Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: How Dallas swept the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Because the Lakers were far from dominant in that stretch. They should have lost to Portland in 2000, they would have lost to the Kings in 2002[as Kobe was a better player than Dirk at that point.. in pretty much every basketball area including clutch play], there's no guarantees in 2003 with Shaq coming into the season out of shape and unmotivated and with a lot of stiff competition in the West, and anything beyond 04 is featuring a non prime Shaq and at that point you cant really know how many they would win. From 2000 to about 2005 I could see them winning a maximum of two titles based on what we've seen.. still pretty good. Dirk could still win after with other teams later on though.

Honestly though, you could plug in any allstar/semi-superstar into those LA teams and see a ring or two.. just like you could put AI or Tmac on the mid 90s bulls and see a title or two.Doesn't put them on Kobe or Jordan's level though.

@ you for sporting an avatar of that bandwagonning fool...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: How Dallas swept the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Because the Lakers were far from dominant in that stretch. They should have lost to Portland in 2000, they would have lost to the Kings in 2002[as Kobe was a better player than Dirk at that point.. in pretty much every basketball area including clutch play], there's no guarantees in 2003 with Shaq coming into the season out of shape and unmotivated and with a lot of stiff competition in the West, and anything beyond 04 is featuring a non prime Shaq and at that point you cant really know how many they would win. From 2000 to about 2005 I could see them winning a maximum of two titles based on what we've seen.. still pretty good. Dirk could still win after with other teams later on though.

Honestly though, you could plug in any allstar/semi-superstar into those LA teams and see a ring or two.. just like you could put AI or Tmac on the mid 90s bulls and see a title or two.Doesn't put them on Kobe or Jordan's level though.
    totally agree. don't think they have much of a chance to beat the kings in 02....might lose to portland. all possibilities.

i think 2 or so rings is likely in 8 years though.....

on the flip side, if you stay consistent....its easily within reason that kobe might not win 1 ring with the teams dirk has had.

doesn't make dirk better than kobe.....kobe is the better player in my opinion. i'm just shooting down the rings argument. at most kobe is winning 3 titles with the kind of teams/coaching dirk has had throughout his career. and that would be a truly amazing accomplishment and wouldn't make kobe any worse a player having 3 rings rather than 5.

and i'm still not sure the relevance of this to the discussion about what happened last year in the playoffs. but as usual, somehow 5 rings comes up in a kobe conversation about what happened in 2011 (not saying you brought it up of course) just speaking in general terms.