Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Why are some NBA players so skinny?

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    First of all NFL players don't do a lot of cardio during games at all.

Second, it's easier for NFL players to work on their physique because it's pretty much all they have to do. It's not a largely skill based sport like basketball.
    Football is a sport that almost entirely technique based.

Small bones usually = skinny. I have small bones, my wrists are tiny. My body type is probably most similar to Kevin Durant or Tayshaun Prince, but I'm only 6'1. I've always had a b!tch of a time adding muscle.

Decent playground baller Jordan23GOAT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMore
    That's not healthy my man... I was 6'4 165 my senior year of high school, and I thought I was skinny. Now up to 200 in college now with muscle and a little fat but my explosion is leaps and bounds better than before. My shot is better too despite the added muscle in my upper body. It will not mess with your shot. You need to hit the weight room, and eat right if you are serious about playing high level basketball. You would get abused in the post even at the varsity level. If you want to play in college you're gonna have to put on some MAJOR weight. No hate, just trying to help you out man.
    I'm working on it, don't worry, going on different diets. It's genetics. My dad was 6 foot 3 and 130 pounds his senior year. I'm definitely trying to gain some more weight.

National High School Star mattevans11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Brian
    it will be easier to get muscle with cardio, look at nfl players thats intense cardio for their workouts and games, cardio will burn all the fat so when they workout they will just be pure muscle basically

you really think nfl is more cardio than basketball...... you have to be kidding right......

football players spend more than half the game on the bench, and is more of a bursting type of workout......

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Like you could tell your body to be taller or less bald?

There are definitely environmental factors to obesity, but the science is pretty conclusive that genetics are large factor. The hypothesis is that some people could eat two slices of pizza and think I'm too full to eat another bite and for obese people this message from their brain comes waaaaay later. That is, their body is still telling them they are hungry.
    No, obviously you can't control how tall you are or if you have hair.

What I'm saying is that while some people may be predisposed to be heavier than other people, that doesn't mean they should resign themselves to being overweight and can do plenty of things to combat it.

Some of you people sound like the tools at my gym. All they do is ***** and moan that their genes won't allow them to lose any weight when the only reason they don't is because they hit McDonald's after running 3 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpuente
    have you played basketball before? its an incredible cardio workout. Constant cardio = hard to keep/build muscle.
    As for LeBron?

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    First of all NFL players don't do a lot of cardio during games at all.

Second, it's easier for NFL players to work on their physique because it's pretty much all they have to do. It's not a largely skill based sport like basketball.
    This is correct. I play D-1 football and we lift a ton of weight. We do cardio too, but it's all about that strength and fundamentals.

During games, we don't "play" as much so it isn't that much of a workout tbh.
    Last edited by Grim; 04-03-2011 at 02:11 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Young guys dont lift cuz they dont wanna mess up the touch on there shot

Quote Originally Posted by Grim
    As for LeBron?
    Lebron is considered a genetic freak and many analysts consider him as the bes athlete in the NBA. You can't use him as an example to represent the rest of the league.

kkling
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

People have different body types, it's strange shit.

Comments such as "eat more", or "eat less", etc. just ignorance.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23GOAT
    I'm working on it, don't worry, going on different diets. It's genetics. My dad was 6 foot 3 and 130 pounds his senior year. I'm definitely trying to gain some more weight.
    at your age, I'd suggest you lay off the weights

what you really want to do is to become a lot stronger

for that, I'd suggest that you read some books and design an exercise regimen using bodyweight exercises/ calisthenics. full body.....upper and legs

pound for pound, some of the strongest athletes in the world are male gymnasts(and MMA fighters incorporate a lot of bodyweight training rather than lifting weights)

I think you'd build a lot of FUNCTIONAL strength and add size as your body matures and grows.

less strain on your bones and joints too
    ---------------------------

Gary Payton was one of the best all around point guards of the modern era and he played at 6 foot 4 and 180 pounds.

Nobody pushed him around and he was rarely injured.

I usually hit open layups BMore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    at your age, I'd suggest you lay off the weights

what you really want to do is to become a lot stronger

for that, I'd suggest that you read some books and design an exercise regimen using bodyweight exercises/ calisthenics. full body.....upper and legs

pound for pound, some of the strongest athletes in the world are male gymnasts(and MMA fighters incorporate a lot of bodyweight training rather than lifting weights)

I think you'd build a lot of FUNCTIONAL strength and add size as your body matures and grows.

less strain on your bones and joints too
    ---------------------------

Gary Payton was one of the best all around point guards of the modern era and he played at 6 foot 4 and 180 pounds.

Nobody pushed him around and he was rarely injured.
    Good post, and I completely agree with what you said. Wait like 2 years until you hit the weight room. But you need to eat more right now. 95-98 pounds is not healthy at all. You should be growing a little more too if your dad is 6'3. The pounds will come with the inches you will probably see in the coming years. Just start eating a well-balanced diet now, and you will be ahead of most of your competition. That's something I wish I would have done when I was your age.