Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: poor j. smith

Default poor j. smith

Smith will make $1.5M from the Clippers this season, and will also get a reported $5.4M annually through 2020 from Detroit -- but wants more: "At the end of the day I do have a family. So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it and try to do something long term after this year."

what a loser. so many people in the us without any insurance or with less than 1k a month.

smith getting 7 mio a year and its getting hard because he has a family.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Default Re: poor j. smith

I don't u understand his reasoning. Is he not making enough to sustain his family?

When you have a family, you always want more money. It's natural.

It takes an extraordinary amount of perspective to say to yourself, "No. I have enough." Because you can always have more. Maybe you can pay for your kids to attend private school and private university... now you want enough to buy them a house when they move out. Give them a trust fund of their own.

I've never known someone who was worth more than $1 million to stop trying to get more money for one reason or another. Some are motivated by family, some by luxuries, some by charity. Others by what was called "empire-building" (or what is "the empire business?") in Breaking Bad. But nobody stays put with millions of dollars. You wouldn't either if you were in that position, probably.

But this does sound an awful lot like the Sprewell situation. JSmith's career could very well be over at any point. His ceiling is quite high, as we saw in the Clippers series, but his floor is as low as Lamar Odom's.
    Last edited by Clifton; 07-24-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Earn that money, son.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton

It takes an extraordinary amount of perspective to say to yourself, "No. I have enough." Because you can always have more. Maybe you can pay for your kids to attend private school and private university... now you want enough to buy them a house when they move out. Give them a trust fund of their own.

I've never known someone who was worth more than $1 million to stop trying to get more money for one reason or another. Some are motivated by family, some by luxuries, some by charity. Others by what was called "empire-building" (or what is "the empire business?") in Breaking Bad. But nobody stays put with millions of dollars. You wouldn't either if you were in that position, probably.

But this does sound an awful lot like the Sprewell situation. JSmith's career could very well be over at any point. His ceiling is quite high, as we saw in the Clippers series, but his floor is as low as Lamar Odom's.
    Nah judging from that quote it doesn't sound like he was wanting more money just to have it. It sounded more like his family would be struggling with the money he'll be making. Like it's not enough to provide for them. Or maybe he's providing for his extended family as well like Hammer did.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

what a douche!

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton

the point is that his measly 1.5 million (not including the money from detroit) is the equivalent of a 50k (more than the average US wage) yearly salary for 30 years.........

If he has trouble taking care of his family on a million bucks, this goes beyond just perspective. Anyone who can make these types of comments is massively out of touch with reality.

He'll be one of the broke ones in ten years.

Most ballers are stupid. They buy these huge homes when they have like, a wife and two kids. They also spend in expensive cars and shit instead of investing their money wisely.

Nah judging from that quote it doesn't sound like he was wanting more money just to have it. It sounded more like his family would be struggling with the money he'll be making. Like it's not enough to provide for them.
    You're right. But that is how people talk about and negotiate over money. Anyone who's ever bought a car knows this. It's automatic and you don't think about it. He shouldn't be saying things like that... or he should be phrasing them differently... but sometimes things come out stupid.

I'm not denying the words he said were out of touch with reality. Most people with national exposure and/or a great deal of money are out of touch with reality. It goes with the territory. There is another reality for people like that, which most of us will never go near. In that world, you buy $200,000 cars, and you have your clothes shipped to you when you travel. In this world, you look on Craigslist for a $2,000 car that looks legit, and take books out of your bag and stuff them into your jacket at baggage check so you won't get fined by Southwest.

god some NBA players are so entitled..

"at the end of the day I have a family"

say that to the millions of families in ACTUAL poverty

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Maybe he should invest

Banned

this means hes blowing through 6 mill+ a year

bankrupt within 5 years after hes retired

he has ZERO money saved basically... thats what hes saying

Banned

a salary to do basically whatever you want and buy your wife/kids anything they desire is 100k a year

youre set...

50-60k is enough to have a good life

30k is enough to sustain a family

20k is enough to live on your own