Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    one2
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Jordan's return in the 94-95 season

No one mentioned it on this thread and it's probably not as relevant or contributing to the Bulls dramatic loss from 94 to 95 but they moved to the United Center and supposedly players weren't comfortable with the new lights (which supposedly got into some of the players' eye level. This made shooting much more difficult).

Home players also sat on a different side of the court from the Old Chicago stadium and I think MJ had something to do with some changes. Players got to sit back to the same side as before and the lighting scheme was changed to take away the light from players' eyes.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Jrodan played bettwe in the 95 playoffs than he did in several series in 96, 97, and 98. If you watched those playoffs you know he whored everyone put in front of him. He came out and first game of the playoffs dropped like 50. He was working Penny in the post. Blowing by Anderson. finishing at the rim. Locking guys up...blocking shots. Ripping people straight up.

nobody can say they lost because he wasnt good enough. He was better than he was in several victories.
    I don't think stats really tell the story, especially since they only played 10 games in those playoffs. I remember the end of game 6 against the Magic, and he was totally gassed out, moreso then he ever was during his career as a Bull. He just wasn't in the same shape. He also made alot of mistakes that he usually wouldn't make. He obviously had some great games, but he wasn't the same IMO. He doesn't get excused for it, but I do think it would've been different if the situation was different.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I don't think stats really tell the story, especially since they only played 10 games in those playoffs. I remember the end of game 6 against the Magic, and he was totally gassed out, moreso then he ever was during his career as a Bull. He just wasn't in the same shape. He also made alot of mistakes that he usually wouldn't make. He obviously had some great games, but he wasn't the same IMO. He doesn't get excused for it, but I do think it would've been different if the situation was different.
    Excuses, if you've seen the series you wouldn't have wrote what you just did. Michael in the last game almost put up a triple double and he had 3 games in that series where he almost put up 40 points.

In game 2 he had 38 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals and 4 blocks.

In game 3 he had 40 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 block.

In game 4 he had 39 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks.

And it shouldn't be forgotten that he faced great competition, Orlando Magic had a team with Shaq, Penny, Scott, Grant and Anderson.

The problem wasn't Mike, he was great as always and if he wouldn't have retired no one would have said "Michael wasn't as good this year".. The problem was that their big guys sucked.. Mike even had series worse than this one during the years the Bulls won..
    Last edited by millwad; 09-16-2011 at 09:47 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

There's a difference between the MJ that retired in 93 and the one that came back in 95. He couldn't finish games. That's why you saw mental errors near the end of games. He only had like 20 games in the regular season to acclimate himself into the team with new teammates and even his old teammates had different roles than before he left. It wasn't the same guy even though he was playing on a high level.

With that said, Houston probably would have beaten the Bulls even if MJ played the whole year for other reasons (matchup problems, no real power forward, etc) so Houston still deserves that title.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Excuses, if you've seen the series you wouldn't have wrote what you just did. Michael in the last game almost put up a triple double and he had 3 games in that series where he almost put up 40 points.

In game 2 he had 38 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals and 4 blocks.

In game 3 he had 40 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 block.

In game 4 he had 39 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks.

And it shouldn't be forgotten that he faced great competition, Orlando Magic had a team with Shaq, Penny, Scott, Grant and Anderson.

The problem wasn't Mike, he was great as always and if he wouldn't have retired no one would have said "Michael wasn't as good this year".. The problem was that their big guys sucked.. Mike even had series worse than this one during the years the Bulls won..
    I'm not making an excuse. He lost plain and simple, and he doesn't get credit for anything. But anyone that thinks he was the same in 96 as he was in 95 is kidding themselves. I never said he wasn't capable of putting up big games or anything, and he was still probably a top 3 player in the game. But that doesn't mean he was the same. I watched the series and the whole season. I question those who actually say he was the same actually did or if they're just hating. I don't care if he almost had a triple double, and 24/9/7 isn't really "almost" anyway (he also had 6 turnovers by the way). Watch the 4th quarter of game 6 and tell me he wasn't visibly tired. He wasn't in the same shape. The Bulls were up by like 10 points with a few minutes and the Magic came back and Jordan didn't do anything even though thats who they were going to. Not cause he didn't have the ability but cause he didn't have the energy.

Shit, he shot 41% from FG that season, by far the worse he's ever shot as a Bull. That shows he wasn't nearly as consistent.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    There's a difference between the MJ that retired in 93 and the one that came back in 95. He couldn't finish games. That's why you saw mental errors near the end of games. He only had like 20 games in the regular season to acclimate himself into the team with new teammates and even his old teammates had different roles than before he left. It wasn't the same guy even though he was playing on a high level.

With that said, Houston probably would have beaten the Bulls even if MJ played the whole year for other reasons (matchup problems, no real power forward, etc) so Houston still deserves that title.
    This. No one is saying he wasn't great. But he wasn't the same. The fact that you could argue that there were still 2 or 3 other players that were better then him goes to show that he wasn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by StarJordan
    ^nope jordan shot 50% in 96 and averaged 30+, in 1995 he was well below 50% and 26-27ppg...he was down to kobe levels in 1995....but in 1996 he was back to the jordan level..30ppg on 50%, result championship, they could have won championship without rodman too...just needed a solid power forward to go up in the post against shaq as kukoc was more of an offensive threat

yup he only shot 50% once his final 8 years....in fact he was up to 42% FG in the Kobe era

MJ choked in 1995 because he didn't have anyone there to rebound his Bricks...

next

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    yup he only shot 50% once his final 8 years....in fact he was up to 42% FG in the Kobe era

MJ choked in 1995 because he didn't have anyone there to rebound his Bricks...

next
    More lies.

Jordan shot at or above 50% in 4 of his final 8 seasons. And he shot at 45% in '03 at age 40.

C'mon, Alpha, I know you can do better than that. What else have you got?

subsequent

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    More lies.

Jordan shot at or above 50% in 4 of his final 8 seasons. And he shot at 45% in '03 at age 40.

C'mon, Alpha, I know you can do better than that. What else have you got?

subsequent

No actually he did not..

[QUOTE=AlphaWolf24]No actually he did not..

Not airballing my layups anymore MrRogers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one2
    No one mentioned it on this thread and it's probably not as relevant or contributing to the Bulls dramatic loss from 94 to 95 but they moved to the United Center and supposedly players weren't comfortable with the new lights (which supposedly got into some of the players' eye level. This made shooting much more difficult).

Home players also sat on a different side of the court from the Old Chicago stadium and I think MJ had something to do with some changes. Players got to sit back to the same side as before and the lighting scheme was changed to take away the light from players' eyes.

This and the rims they were using at the UC were too tight. I remember MJ complaining about this.

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

[quote]

Very good NBA starter

Wizards Jordan--50% TS (most inefficient volume scorer ever)

Prime Kobe--57% TS

What was that?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    No actually he did not..

1991 – 92’ - 51%

1992 – 93’ - 49%

1994 – 95’ - 41%

1995 – 96’- 49%

1996 – 97 - 48%

1997 – 98’ - 46%

2001 – 02’(the Kobe era) – 41%

2002 – 03’ – 44%

this is 2EZ...

next
    You do realize that .5 rounds UP, right? Or did you fail remedial math as well? So we have:

1993: 50%
    1996: 50%
    1997: 49%
    1998: 47%

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Those last 2 fg% are Kobe-like!!!
    That's what I'm thinking.

I don't think Alphawolf thought this through properly.

Cause he's basically stating that MJ's worse years, are = to Prime Kobe's.