Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default MJ getting ahead of himself?

How has the game changed from your playing days?

Jordan: It's less physical and the rules have changed, obviously. Based on these rules, if I had to play with my style of play, I'm pretty sure I would have fouled out or I would have been at the free throw line pretty often and I could have scored 100 points.

I love MJ but I never like it when players use could and would. He basically dissed the whole league which is kinda ****ed up to me.

Default Re: MJ getting ahead of himself?

Jordan homers will soon flood the thread claiming Jordan was correct in everything he said because he's just that much greater than anybody else.

NBA rookie of the year

My reply from the other thread:

No where near 100 (is he crazy? ), but I can see multiple games of 65-75 from age 24-30, maybe an outlier of 80ish.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by N0Skillz
    How has the game changed from your playing days?

Jordan: It's less physical and the rules have changed, obviously. Based on these rules, if I had to play with my style of play, I'm pretty sure I would have fouled out or I would have been at the free throw line pretty often and I could have scored 100 points.

I love MJ but I never like it when players use could and would. He basically dissed the whole league which is kinda ****ed up to me.
    Nah!! He's right. The league is soft now. There is a lot of ticky tack touch fouls now. Not saying there weren't some back in the day. But in today's NBA it's way over the top. You can't hand check today. You can't even touch a player in the back court or it's an automatic foul.

There's a lot of weak off the ball fouls that's just ridiculous also. I find myself saying "Just let them play" far too often nowadays. Refs are always messing up the flow of the game consistently. Hell FIBA is more physical than the NBA.

edit: I don't know if he could score 100 pts though. That's pretty hard. But I wouldn't say it would be impossible if he set out to do it against a weak defensive team. Jordan shot a lot like kobe, but he also played off the ball and did it more in the flow of the offense. But you never know.
    Last edited by Replay32; 10-09-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Neg Repped

F*ck you Kobe N*thugger. Kome is past his prime

never said the word Kobe........... Jordan ******gers gotta realize he was the best but he wasn't a god. I started this topic to discuss this not to get Drepped by douche bags who feel insecure about Kobe and MJ

LAL|LAC

He is right though.
    Prime Jordan could easily score 100 on a bunch of teams today.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LA KB24
    He is right though.
    Prime Jordan could easily score 100 on a bunch of teams today.
    No he couldn't - and I'm the biggest Jordan fan in the world.

You know, I dont know what people think, but does anyone realize just how hard it is to drop 50....then 60....then to try and drop 70, and then Kobe when he hit 81?

This isnt something that just happens folks. Its pretty damn special, and rare. I love how people attempt to downplay what Kobe did that night, because he did it against the Raptors. Its still very hard to have games like that.

WITH THAT BEING SAID....Jordan was dropping big numbers during an era where OVERALL they WERE more physical....got away with much more....AND didnt call as many touch fouls. If you dont believe dude would absolutely FEAST on opposition offensively in today's game, then you're just crazy.

Now...I dont know about 100....

Wilt doing that was special, during a time in history where it just happened that way. We will probably never see that go down again....but Jordan could very well drop 80+ If Kobe could do it.

College star

I like that he brings up that he would foul out. No one ever brings that point up on ISH it seems even though it is quite valid (if we go by the time machine theory )

I guess if he were raised in this era though he would have been brought up with these touchy fouls. Whatever f*ck it. Who really cares.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    You know, I dont know what people think, but does anyone realize just how hard it is to drop 50....then 60....then to try and drop 70, and then Kobe when he hit 81?

This isnt something that just happens folks. Its pretty damn special, and rare. I love how people attempt to downplay what Kobe did that night, because he did it against the Raptors. Its still very hard to have games like that.

WITH THAT BEING SAID....Jordan was dropping big numbers during an era where OVERALL they WERE more physical....got away with much more....AND didnt call as many touch fouls. If you dont believe dude would absolutely FEAST on opposition offensively in today's game, then you're just crazy.

Now...I dont know about 100....

Wilt doing that was special, during a time in history where it just happened that way. We will probably never see that go down again....but Jordan could very well drop 80+ If Kobe could do it.
    AMEN!

Even dropping 60 or whatever would be hard against the WORST defenses. If you include just overall exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror

now...I dont know about 100....

I love how people that never even watched jordan play comment about how the game was played back then

Or that if someone says Jordan is great it automatically means something about kobe, wtf is wrong with some people on here???

I dont know about 100, but if he got hot im sure he could get up there..

If Kobe could go crazy for 81 against the Raptors, then I should at least believe that MJ could match that. Only 19 points away. Put him against a wack defense like that or NJ and he get's hot, then who knows. It's pointless to go back and forth on it, though.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I gotta agree with Oldschool, he wouldn't be able to score 100 pts mainly because he doesn't shoot enough 3pt shots to do so.

Even if he got hot, he'd need to attempt in the double figures (close to 20) and shoot them at a high %.

As he stated tho, his game was to 'attack' and keep attacking so by default its safe to say that he wouldn't score 100 pts.

And like Oldschool mentioned, he would've had many big games of over 60, 70 and even 80 pts.

I'm also in the minority (even amongst most MJ fans), that believe MJ would avg around 42-45pts with a good fg%. If anybody saw the Wizards MJ play on a consistent basis, they would've noticed that MJ would be able to score in the 17-20pts by half time frequently, but slow down in the 2nd half (this happens to almost every player, even those in their prime...... look it up). And there's also a good reference in games in which MJ had some rest. When MJ had a few games to rest (fresher legs) he was scoring big numbers by the half on high percent shooting and during those games he usually stayed consistent in the 2nd half.

But the biggest factor is Wade.

Wade plays a game very similar to MJ's (attack, attack). But MJ was better in 99% of the facets in the game. Just looking at the ft% alone makes a big jump in pt avg. Mj would make at least 2 more fts than Wade per game, and finish at least 2 more shots at the rim. MJ also has a superior well.... everything. Imagine if Wade had just half of Kobe's ability to shoot and score from any place on the court? Imagine if Wade was 2 inches taller, could jump higher and smarter?

40-45 pt avg for MJ is very likely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9ayPlqCMg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV52IrBoj90
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83LyohClFI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMeJ1fJWOI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13gfGtUyL8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPsu...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcARN...eature=related

For starters....

If you've ever watched the Jordan 69 point game its pretty obvious he could have scored 80 if that's what he was shooting for that game.

To say he couldn't score 80 today...as outrageous as the number 80 sounds...is just untrue.

Its no secret Jordan is cocky, but if he would have made a goal to score 100 in current soft league... With a favorable refs crew who calls every touchy foul like they do for Lebron or Wade... Who knows, even if its unlikely, not entirely impossible either. I can imagine MJ would average ~40 PPG today, with a lot of 50-70 games, few ~80, and maybe, just maybe, 100.

Some people forget how dominant Jordan was, also he was pretty good 3PT shooter (Ray just now managed to beat Jordans 3PT record in the Finals). If he is red hot and whole team helping him to score on every possession, very high scores are possible.