Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #16
kennethgriffin
NBA Legend

kennethgriffin posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrykennethgriffin posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: there's a higher ratio of highschool drafted success's than college success's

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
Of course there are, because they are the elite of the elite. The super-talents that were considered good enough to skip college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
Most college players go to college because they can't make it to the NBA straight out of high school. (Some can but choose to further polish their games.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
This. /thread

so people are agreeing with me and proving me right but somehow in a manner that comes accross as a "take that!" or "ah ha!" lol

i dont get it

so if the general acceptance is that these highschoolers are good enough. why were they banned from being drafted?

that was my whole point

agreeing with me to prove me wrong doesnt really make a whole lot of sense lol
kennethgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #17
its_this_big
Can barely lace up my sneakers

its_this_big has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: there's a higher ratio of highschool drafted success's than college success's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
so people are agreeing with me and proving me right but somehow in a manner that comes accross as a "take that!" or "ah ha!" lol

i dont get it

so if the general acceptance is that these highschoolers are good enough. why were they banned from being drafted?

that was my whole point

agreeing with me to prove me wrong doesn't really make a whole lot of sense lol

They're banned for one year to protect the league, as one year in college allows teams to better see how good high school prodigies really are, reducing the change that a team drafts a bust.

On a side note, I can guarantee you the ones happiest about the one year rule are the scouts. If they only see kids in high school, its almost impossible to judge how good they are, and subsequently, their jobs are riskier and their chance of getting fired increases. I think its incredibly likely that the one year rule started with scouts complaining to the front office of teams.
its_this_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong wayXiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
so what exactly was the big deal with drafting highschoolers.

The problem is that the league has gotten worse. Most players used to play 4 years of college and usually at least 3. Few went pro earlier than that. Now you have young guys taking roster spots from vets based purely on potential. It's watered down the league.

I think you should be able to play basketball and get paid if you choose and not be forced into a one and done situation but they need a minor league system like baseball or at least hockey so that the NBA has the best players and those with potential have somewhere to develop at their own pace.

Quote:
for where they were drafted theyre busts... if they were drafted 10th-15th then
maybe it wouldnt be so bad

Too early to call someone a bust. I didn't expect much from Kanter as a rookie after not playing at all the year before. I figured he'd be in the D-league but he was in the rotation of a west playoff team. He continues to get better. Next year he should get big minutes and we'll be able to get a better read on him.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: