NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Default Tiny Archibald or Calvin Murphy?

Who would you have on your team? Two of the greatest small players ever. Both were talented scorers. Tiny more of a true point guard but I believe he battled some injury issues. He has one championship with the Celtics in 1981. The only player to lead the league in scoring and assists. 6 time All Star. Hall of Fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOtrkLFJUE

Calvin Murphy was one of the most diminutive players ever in size, but not on his on court impact. 1 time All Star. Never won a ring. His Rockets lost to Tiny's Celtics in 1981 in the NBA Finals. Hall of Fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LLVdADh5_k

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Default Re: Tiny Archibald or Calvin Murphy?

As a #1 option you CLEARLY have to go with Tiny... Definitely a greater talent, better overall player, more impactful...

As a complementary player I think I'd pick Calvin, tbh... Archibald hogged the ball too much plenty of times, which for example, was very detrimental to the C's when Nate couldn't do close to the same as before due to the serious injuries he suffered; Cal was a better shooter and off-ball player; plus, Murphy wasn't much worse as a playmaker; on defense you can call it a wash.
    Calvin was still very impactful as a 6th man off the bench for Houston, in 1981... For instance, he scored 42 in game7 of the WCSF vs the Spurs; still top10 in most points scored in a game7.

dunno started watching basketball in 2006

NBA Legend

Whichever one is blacker

Easily Tiny!! EPIC mix of a floor general and alpha dog in one. The only guys 6'1 and under on his level or close are Isiah, AI, KJ, Timmy Hardaway, and CP3. I say those guys because all of them were alpha dog quality scorers and great passers. Even though AI was an SG, he still was a great passing SG. As great as Calvin was, he's on the 2nd tier for players 6'1 and under.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I was fortunate to watch both , and even though one of the players played for my Bucks in his later years , I have to go with Calvin Murphy.

At one time I had heard he wore 8 pairs of socks when he played.
    He managed his team much better , but Tiny's speed was such a threat for defenses.
    Murph could play in any system and be effective because in my opinion he was a
    smarter player. Excellent defender, and held the highest made free throw percent in BBall for year.
    and he is a HOF'er.

I thought he was one of 50 greatest , but I think he was considered one of 10 snubbed.