Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Best First Step You've Seen

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    LOL at this thread. If anyone seriously thinks MJ was in the same conversation as AI as far as quickness they weren't around to watch. MJ was 100x the player but he wasn't nearly the blur AI was.
    80's Jordan was quick af, killer 1st step, cat-like, crazy to watch... Not going against anyone picking AI (I've mentioned him too) but let's not say that Jordan was not in the same conversation or something, especially considering that Mike was considerably bigger.

LOL at this thread. If anyone seriously thinks MJ was in the same conversation as AI as far as quickness they weren't around to watch. MJ was 100x the player but he wasn't nearly the blur AI was.

Educate yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukNKGNphoQ

NBA rookie of the year

Iverson was quicker, but I don't think his first step was as fast as Jordan's. If it were, you would have seen him beating defenders just facing up and blowing by them more frequently than he did, like Jordan used to do. Hell, even in 1997, Jordan was voted as having the league's best first step by NBA coaches - and this was well past his explosive prime.

Like SHAQisGOAT said, let's not act like it's crazy to think Jordan had the better first step. Not only was it super quick, it was also long.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Chris Jackson aka Abdul-Rauf stop and pop

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

It's hard to truly gauge first steps of little guys. It's so rare to see 'em create off a triple threat to begin with. They are always playing with a live dribble from behind the 3pt line.

Among SGs and SFs, the best first steps I've seen are Dr. J, MJ, David Thompson and Worthy. Then you have 2nd tier guys like Kobe, T-Mac, VC and Drexler.

Cali Love

Wade was freakishly quick too at his peak...his ability to split the Pnr and dunk on the opposing center was crazy don't call him Flash for nothin

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    I lived the Jordan years. I'm a grown man with a mortgage and I have more than one framed picture of MJ up at my house.

Quick as AI (who I don't even like)? Not even remotely close.

I lived the Jordan years. I'm a grown man with a mortgage and I have more than one framed picture of MJ up at my house.

Quick as AI (who I don't even like)? Not even remotely close.
    The need you have to always say something along those lines just makes it seem more like bullshit, ijs.
    The "not even remotely close" there further adds on to that.

First of all, we're discussing players' 1st steps, so I'll just stick to that here... And MJ can DEFINITELY be argued to have the quickest 1st step.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall

Iverson was quicker, but I don't think his first step was as fast as Jordan's. If it were, you would have seen him beating defenders just facing up and blowing by them more frequently than he did, like Jordan used to do.

Hell, even in 1997, Jordan was voted as having the league's best first step by NBA coaches - and this was well past his explosive prime.

Like SHAQisGOAT said, let's not act like it's crazy to think Jordan had the better first step. Not only was it super quick, it was also long.
    I think this is the kind of thing the coaches were referring to (MJ blow-by on PG Travis Best):

Here's MJ off a live-dribble against the DPOY Rodman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCNK0Nntvl8&t=0m11s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ZlHwMstDc&t=2m03s

Last edited by 3ball; 08-06-2015 at 01:47 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00
    Wade was freakishly quick too at his peak...his ability to split the Pnr and dunk on the opposing center was crazy don't call him Flash for nothin
    Oh yeah. Bar none the quickest SG ever, but his first step wasn't tier 1.

Wilt Chamberlain, and it isn't even close. His first step off the top of the key, and the next time his feet touches ground is when he smashes it into the rim, breaking some poor souls arm in the process. Speed? Wilt Chamberlain ran a 4.2s 40yd dash while juggling mountain lions, writing poetry, and smoking a fat blunt.

NBA sixth man of the year

There's a difference between first step and overall quickness. This thread is about first step and yes MJ's first step is as good as anyone's...

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Iverson was quicker, but I don't think his first step was as fast as Jordan's. If it were, you would have seen him beating defenders just facing up and blowing by them more frequently than he did, like Jordan used to do. Hell, even in 1997, Jordan was voted as having the league's best first step by NBA coaches - and this was well past his explosive prime.

WHAT???????

AI driving in at will going 1v5 night in and night out. Did u started watching AI when he got traded to Denver?

Jordan's first step was the combination of quickness and strength.

AI first step was all quickness

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Nah, I got young MJ. His inital explosion rivals anyone I seen mentioned in here and his stride is longer than all of these PGs (or PG sized players). Pretty lethal combo.

Hill and Spree deserve mentions. Probably FroBe, too. Stevie Franchise. Hardaway...
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 08-06-2015 at 03:54 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Nah, I got young MJ. His inital explosion rivals anyone I seen mentioned in here and his stride is longer than all of these PGs (or PG sized players). Pretty lethal combo.

Hill and Spree deserve mentions. Probably FroBe, too. Stevie Franchise. Hardaway...
    Damn, don't know how I missed Steve Francis......