Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Soul Calibur Franchise

This appears to be pretty good tool though: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/927089/26537

Mathius

NBA lottery pick

Oh. And just so we're all on the same page. Tira has the best t[COLOR="Black"]its[/COLOR]:

Mathius

Saw a basketball once

To each his own I guess. I could really care less about any of that when it comes to playing the game. Also, you're talking SC3 and I'm talking SC4. Oh wait, you're talking the whole franchise.

In any event. Siggy got currupted by soul edge, became nightmare and ravaged the land, but he came back somehow, and nightmare became a separate entity while sig was "reborn" I guess. But really, why would the story really have to be that deep for a fighting game

In street fighter, I know Ken and Ryu are rivals and friends. I know Ryu beat Sagat and gave him the scar on his chest. Dhalsim is from India, Zangief is a russian wrestler, DJ is jamaican, and Cammy and what's his name are in the military. Do I care? Not really, as long as the game plays cool, I'm fine w/it.

Guilty Gear, another cool 2D fighter. Something about Gears, these robots that were unbeatable who got beat by Sol and Ky, but there are still some left. I play Jam cuz she has cool sound effects and cool moves, plus Ky and Sol have cool stuff. Sure there's a small story, but it's not why I'm playing the game.

C'mon, if I were to just base my liking of Soul Calibur on stories, I would've lost interest at Soul Cal 2 when they put Spawn, Heihachi, and Link in the game. Now you have Star Wars Characters and cheesy clone characters from Anime series'.

Fighting games are supposed to fun, one on one battles, or even some team battles. If there's a decent story, cool, it adds a little more interest to it. Once you know everything about the story, all that's left is to play the game and enjoy the game. The story doesn't matter after that. It's not like I care that Liu Kang is the last chance for Earth Realm every single time I fight the last boss.

But like I said, to each his own. You're entitled to your own opinion as am I. You must like the series if you bring it up. I like the series too, for different reasons, so let's just agree to disagree on the rest.

Fighting games should have at least a story as a plus to audiences. I remember when Ehrgeiz came out. It was a pretty ****ty fighting game but because of all the Sephiroth ******gers out there, a lot of people were playing it.

Also, if you're putting out sequel after sequel, you must have a story.

Tekken has some pretty bad storylines, but at least each character has its own.

Matter of fact, a background story makes a character more interesting, more playable, no matter how awful the character is. Regardless of any type of game.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca_22
    But like I said, to each his own. You're entitled to your own opinion as am I. You must like the series if you bring it up. I like the series too, for different reasons, so let's just agree to disagree on the rest.
    <shrug> I consider it the best of the fighting games, based on the fact that you can use weapons, you can create characters, and it has extras like CotS.. I also like the armor feature they added in SC4.

But as a genre I find fighting games to be pretty weak. I don't play them that often. SC3 is the only one I actually own. And the only reason I play it so much is because I'm trying to unlock everything and buy everything. It gets very frustrating doing the same crap over and over again, seeing the same crap over and over again, just because you have to earn enough money to unlock everything.

Fighting games could be so much better than what they are.

I don't understand how you can put a game out, and expect the multiplayer experience to carry the game. You're not going to sell a lot of games that way. Most people only play solo....

Of course with PS3 and XBox online, that's probably changing, so it's no surprise to me that fighting games are making a small come back.

BTW... I don't understand why you're so bitter about the additions of Link and the Star Wars characters... clearly its what people want because there are tons of "recipes" out there to create them now that creating your own player has become a staple in the SC series.

Mathius
    Last edited by Mathius; 12-18-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Saw a basketball once

I guess we're just in two different camps, and that's fine. I look at it from the competitive gaming perspective. I used to compete in a lot of tournaments, and I still do try to make it to them when the wife and kids will allow it. The competitive scene is all about balance, gameplay, and competition. A lot of them look at the single player as just an extra, and kind of get mad when there is more focus on single player rather than fine tuning the game engine so that things work they way they're supposed to work for the competitive players.

While some may care to unlock everything, the majority of them are trying to figure out if their character is better, worse, or the same as the last version, and what new tricks they can use and abuse in the name of victory. So for us, it's all about multiplayer and I wouldn't say we could care less about the storyline, but it's not nearly as important as the gameplay and fun that can be had going one on one.

As for the bitter part, I'm not bitter about those additions, I was just saying that if I did care a lot about the storyline, then those would be some pretty outrageous additions. They have nothing to do with the SC universe. As it is, I don't care that they're in. Almost all of them are banned at tournaments, while some are allowed, and you just have to figure out ways to deal with those characters.

But basically, we're looking at the game from two different perspectives, and I can see how if you're only going to play a fighting game for the single player experience, then maybe it should offer a bit more than repitition. Me, I'm glad the focus enough energy on the fighting engine and making sure that's solid isntead of dedicating all that time to having 30 different storylines play out. You're a smart poster, based off what I've seen you post, so I think you can understand where I'm coming from too. I would just say, don't count on any fighting game to deliver great, varied, and multiple stories, because they're mostly made for multiplayer games, with some single player aspects added in for a little challenge.

NBA lottery pick

I guess we're just in two different camps, and that's fine. I look at it from the competitive gaming perspective. I used to compete in a lot of tournaments, and I still do try to make it to them when the wife and kids will allow it. The competitive scene is all about balance, gameplay, and competition. A lot of them look at the single player as just an extra, and kind of get mad when there is more focus on single player rather than fine tuning the game engine so that things work they way they're supposed to work for the competitive players.

While some may care to unlock everything, the majority of them are trying to figure out if their character is better, worse, or the same as the last version, and what new tricks they can use and abuse in the name of victory. So for us, it's all about multiplayer and I wouldn't say we could care less about the storyline, but it's not nearly as important as the gameplay and fun that can be had going one on one.

As for the bitter part, I'm not bitter about those additions, I was just saying that if I did care a lot about the storyline, then those would be some pretty outrageous additions. They have nothing to do with the SC universe. As it is, I don't care that they're in. Almost all of them are banned at tournaments, while some are allowed, and you just have to figure out ways to deal with those characters.

But basically, we're looking at the game from two different perspectives, and I can see how if you're only going to play a fighting game for the single player experience, then maybe it should offer a bit more than repitition. Me, I'm glad the focus enough energy on the fighting engine and making sure that's solid isntead of dedicating all that time to having 30 different storylines play out. You're a smart poster, based off what I've seen you post, so I think you can understand where I'm coming from too. I would just say, don't count on any fighting game to deliver great, varied, and multiple stories, because they're mostly made for multiplayer games, with some single player aspects added in for a little challenge.
    Well, I think you're going to find that there aren't too many guys gaming that were in tournaments... Even the guys I know that I consider hard core gamers haven't been in any, and they pretty much play all day long.

And like I said before... as a developer, if you're making the game geared towards multiplayer only, you're gonna sell a lot less copies even in today's internet age.

Mathius

Saw a basketball once

You're right about that. The tournament/competitive players are a niche crowd, which is why they still do like the whole licensed character involvement. For them, it means that there's the possibility more people will play the game, maybe even drop on to the competitive scene.

Before I was into the competitive scene, I did play Soul Calibur 1 to death at school. There was a group of about 10 of us who played after class, after dinner, and till all hours of the night. Our room was the hang out, someone was ALWAYS playing. It was the game to play w/the boys.

BTW, Soul Cal 3 was considered the lowpoint of the SC series by competitive players. It started all the combo based stuff with massive damage, glitches, and took good stuff out that was in SC2. Namely nerfing Talim and Rapheal.

NBA lottery pick

You're right about that. The tournament/competitive players are a niche crowd, which is why they still do like the whole licensed character involvement. For them, it means that there's the possibility more people will play the game, maybe even drop on to the competitive scene.

Before I was into the competitive scene, I did play Soul Calibur 1 to death at school. There was a group of about 10 of us who played after class, after dinner, and till all hours of the night. Our room was the hang out, someone was ALWAYS playing. It was the game to play w/the boys.

BTW, Soul Cal 3 was considered the lowpoint of the SC series by competitive players. It started all the combo based stuff with massive damage, glitches, and took good stuff out that was in SC2. Namely nerfing Talim and Rapheal.
    I haven't played 1 or 2. 2 was recently listed under the top 25 Game Cube games in Game Informer magazine... I think it placed 11th? I won't swear to that.

4 was a lot of fun. It seems like there is a lot less to unlock, which I like. But I don't own an xbox or ps3, I played it at my buddies on the weekends a few times.

I own 3, and I find it very frustrating. I find that the AI in most fighting games is either too hard or too easy. It's never quite good. SC really frustrates me with its guard impact stuff, where you have to time your blocks. I like the old school where you can pretty much hold down the block button and be ok. If you mistime the first block in a combo, it can often leave you with no break. It's also insane how little you earn in the games, but then they require you to have an a$$load of cash to unlock everything.

I also find that the competition varies from platform to platform... for example Tales of Soul starts off easy, and then gets harder as you get to the end, but it's still very beatable for me. I can get to the end with only one or two loses. I have yet to go undefeated and face Night Terror, the secret boss. Chronicles of the Sword is relatively medium in difficulty. Some of the characters are extremely tough, but I find a lot of that has to do with how good your character is you built, and also what special effects are on the stage you're in. Tournament Mode, or World Competition, whatever it's called, is insanely difficult. Most times I can't get through the first fight. I made it through the first tournament of 12 once, but you apparently can't save your progress either, which is equally frustrating.

All in all I think I enjoy unlocking things and doing the Chronicles of the Sword missions where you have to actually think of strategy, than I do the basic fighting. I also enjoy the Create-A-Soul feature a great deal.

I've always wanted to develop a game, but I've never had the resources or the know-how all in the same spot. Like right now, I started getting a pretty good grasp on Blender as a rendering program, learning the basics, but quickly decided my ancient computer can't handle the load. In any case, any games where you can customize, like the create-a-soul give you an opportunity to put your own characters in, or even nostalgic characters from your past. It amused the hell out of me and my buddy when I built "He-Man" in Soul Calibur 4. It looked very much like him, right down to the pose where he holds his sword in the air.

Youtube has tons of videos on the custom characters you can create, and some of them are dead on.

Mathius

Bump

Haven't played a SC game for a while (years maybe). I played from II to IV, stopping at 5 because I didn't think it was worth investing my time into it.

Out of all the fighting game franchises, none are as likable as SC to me. It doesn't have that rigid movement most fighting games have and juggling isn't something prevalent from my experience. The series has had some downs though. My biggest issue was the discontinuation for team vs from SCII.

Just wanted to see if there are any other current ISH'ers who was a fan of this game and see if people want to talk about the series.