Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default The Daily Show illustrates the cleft between black and white Americans on racism

The Daily Show illustrates the cleft between black and white Americans on the issue of racism

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/0...sue-of-racism/

Basically on a scale of how much racial progress we have made in this country from 0% = fully racist, 100 = full equality

The white people all thought racism wasn't a big deal anymore and that America had made a lot of progression on eliminating racism. The white people tended to rate America a 50 - 75 on that scale.

The black people all thought racism was a major factor in America and that very little progression had been made towards eliminating racism. The numbers given were a high of 12 to a low of negative 25. One girl thought that racism had gotten worse.

On a that scale of 0 - 100 where do you think we are?

I say 60-75%

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: The Daily Show illustrates the cleft between black and white Americans on racism

Racism is a huge issue still. Go to Yahoo and read the comments on most any article. And white people in general are pretty ignorant on this due to white privilege.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: The Daily Show illustrates the cleft between black and white Americans on racism

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Racism is a huge issue still. Go to Yahoo and read the comments on most any article. And white people in general are pretty ignorant on this due to white privilege.
    Ya you will get trolls on the internet, but these are people that probably live in their parents basements. There are also hicks that live in backwater swamps. I dont think these people have that much power to affect the lives of black people.

I will admit to being surprised that the black people in that clip thought that racism was that big of a hindrance in the their daily lives. I would appreciate some examples from peoples lives where they felt their race has held them back or disadvantaged them. Just for educational purposes. Race is such a touchy issue its hard to discuss.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 08-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.

there still is, but minorities tend to over exaggerate and say anything used against them is racism.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Ya you will get trolls on the internet, but these are people that probably live in their parents basements. There are also hicks that live in backwater swamps. I dont think these people have that much power to affect the lives of black people.

I will admit to being surprised that the black people in that clip thought that racism was that big of a hindrance in the their daily lives. I would appreciate some examples from peoples lives where they felt their race has held them back or disadvantaged them. Just for educational purposes. Race is such a touchy issue its hard to discuss.
    Hicks that live in backwater swamps are still in America.

In only three months of being with a black girl, I have discovered that half of my family are covert racists. Tons of assumptions and ignorance that I did not know existed in my own family. Again, that is in 3 months with a family that I have always known to be accepting (well, I knew my dad was a bit prejudice already, but was surprised by the reactions of others in my family).

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    there still is, but minorities tend to over exaggerate and say anything used against them is racism.
    Nice broad generalization there, I'm sure comments like that have no affect on racism in our society ;)

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    Just for my personal educational purposes and because I want to alleviate my ignorance on this issue could you guys give me your opinions on that scale of where you feel we are in America today?

0 being completely racist and almost impossible to succeed without being white. (what america was for a long time)

100 being completely equal and race not being a factor at all in whether you succeed or fail.

I think we are somewhere in the rage of 60-75. There is still some disadvantages but primarily you are judged on your capabilities today.

   

one of them said it worse? worse than WHEN, exactly?

i

NBA rookie of the year

Hicks that live in backwater swamps are still in America.

In only three months of being with a black girl, I have discovered that half of my family are covert racists. Tons of assumptions and ignorance that I did not know existed in my own family. Again, that is in 3 months with a family that I have always known to be accepting (well, I knew my dad was a bit prejudice already, but was surprised by the reactions of others in my family).
    Do people in your family your age or younger have a problem with it? Some of this imo is a generational problem and racism will become less and less of a problem as older people die off.

NBA rookie of the year

[QUOTE=gigantes]one of them said it worse? worse than WHEN, exactly?

i

Here I'll name a few real quick..

Went down south street recently... Me and My wife went to eat (My wife is Italian).. We eat in the restaurant and then we get ready to leave.. We both go to the bathroom I come out before her so I wait... She comes out fuming mad.. She says this white lady in the bathroom asked if she was "OK" and did she need help.. Apparently the white lady assumed the black guy (me) waiting outside the bathroom for her was causing her problems..

Me and & the wife go downtown... I wanted to hit the apple store real quick.. We find a parking spot, but there is this white lady standing in it ..... She says we cannot park there because her husband is coming and she is saving it for him.. I tell her "you cant save a spot like that" and I ask her to move.. She pitches a fit and refuses to move.. after a minute of arguing, I just start back into the spot and telling her move... She gets out of the way, but she is furious.. We get the spot and walk to the store.. She follows behind us giving threats about keying my wife's car (Which had my woman ready to fight) and threats about me going to jail because her husband is a cop (I think she was lying) We ignore her and go in the store (there is crowd growing at this point because she is yelling)..We come out of the store and this lady has summoned a cop. she tells the cop to arrest me because I called her a racial slur ... the people who are standing around disagree with her.. I call her crazy.. the cop gets mad at ME and threatens to take me in (while the lady is yelling at me over his shoulder..he pretends he cannot hear her). At that point I realize this is a ridiculous situation we just get in the car and roll out before the cop takes any real action.. the lady's husband just shows up when we were pulling out and asks "Hey honey, what the problem?" I felt bad for the guy because his wife was such a lying sh*tstarter.

I can think of a alot more, most are mundane (getting pulled over by the cops for driving a nice car and being told I got pulled over because my license plate was crooked )...

The funny thing is that I know white people know deep down inside that there is still alot of racism in America.. My brother in law is a cop (I know he knows).. His cop friend trained their big ass dog to attack black people..

there are people on my wife's side of the family who obviously have a problem with black people in general.. They dont say too much though because I have a good relationship with her father and her mother...

Just for my personal educational purposes and because I want to alleviate my ignorance on this issue could you guys give me your opinions on that scale of where you feel we are in America today?

0 being completely racist and almost impossible to succeed without being white. (what america was for a long time)

100 being completely equal and race not being a factor at all in whether you succeed or fail.

I think we are somewhere in the rage of 60-75. There is still some disadvantages but primarily you are judged on your capabilities today.
    Just to be clear, your scale is different from the video. I'd say about 50 if we are talking about "success" as you mentioned, and most of what keeps that down is based on a culture that was set up by white people generations ago that permeates through the educational system today, including differing expectations of black youth (I'm not just talking about being treated differently in the classroom, but I'm including parents who don't push education as much because what they were raised with in a white dominated society). Once it gets to the job interview if you have succeeded in academics, then I'd agree that you are judged on your capabilities in most situations.

However, the video asks for a scale of eliminating racism, which I would put that answer down to about 20-25. There are daily reminders of racial issues if you are not a white person blindly walking in a mostly white world.

Do people in your family your age or younger have a problem with it? Some of this imo is a generational problem and racism will become less and less of a problem as older people die off.
    No, everybody my age (29) and younger seems fine with it. However, I do notice that on my Facebook pics of me and her, I get less likes from cousins my age than I did when I was with another white person. I would say that tons of it is a generational problem, but it hasn't skipped my generation completely. I do think it will be less and less of a problem, just like it has become less and less of a problem over the decades already.

I tend to think the internet gives a more extreme impression of what actually exists in rl in almost all circumstances. racism/sexual preferences/etc. The sample online is skewed is what I meant. Eg. Racists tended to loudly celebrate the death of trayvon there by making society overall seem more racist than it actually is. (full disclosure I thought not guilty was the correct verdict, but I think zim is a coward and didn't think trayvon had done anything in his life that deserved to die for.)

Do you think they are just joking or do you think the internet simply gives them the freedom to say things they wouldnt dare say in public?

An Icon Forever

[QUOTE=gigantes]one of them said it worse? worse than WHEN, exactly?

i