Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

Thumbs up Some interesting quotes about the No hand checking rule and Michael Jordan

During a 2007 L.A. Lakers pre-season broadcast, Phil Jackson was asked how he thought Michael Jordan would perform today, Phil said: "Michael would average 45 with these rules.

"You can't even touch a guy now," says Charlotte coach Larry Brown. "The college game is much more physical than our game. I always tease Michael [Jordan], if he played today, he'd average 50."

Question for Clyde Drexler: In the current league where there is no hand checking and no ruff play how much better would your numbers be?
    Clyde Drexler: "Oh, tremendously better, from shooting percentage to points per game everything would be up, and our old teams would score a lot more points, and that is saying something because we could score a lot back then. I do think there should be an asterisk next to some of these scoring leaders, because it is much different trying to score with a forearm in your face. It is harder to score with that resistance. You had to turn your back on guys defending you back in the day with all the hand checking that was going on. For guys who penetrate these days, it's hunting season. Yes, now you can play (floating)zone(legally), but teams rarely do."

"The defensive rules, the hand checking, the ability to make contact on a guy in certain areas .... [have] all been taken away from the game. If Kobe could get 81, I think Michael could get 100 in today's game." - Scottie Pippen January 2006

Craig Hodges is the Lakers shooting coach, get a look at what he said:
    Q: If you could take one player in their prime, would you take Michael Jordan or Kobe?
    A: M.J., all day. There's no comparison. M.J. could score 100 points in this era. You can't hand-check now. Imagine that trying to guard M.J. It would be crazy.

[QUOTE]Asked if he could defend Jordan under today

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Some interesting quotes about the No hand checking rule and Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by ashbelly

I asked that question to Clyde on Espn...

MJ is easily the best..Still I got alot more respect for Kobe than I have for Lebron... I actually still love Lebrons game but I don't like the way he has conducted himself... Dude has to be put in his place... Pleeze or ash I told you that the Cavs could not win with their lineup... The current heat can win but I fear that Lebron may hurt the team with his selfishness.. Still the Lakers will kill them down low at this point...

LAL|LAC

Default Re: Some interesting quotes about the No hand checking rule and Michael Jordan

Yup.
    So unless the league changes the rules again, which they won't, MJ will always be G.O.A.T

Local High School Star

Michael Jordan would absolutely demolish every team today.

Dunking on everybody in the park

We already know that MJ>Kobe. That doesn't mean that Kobe isn't the best today, or for the last 5 years, or that Kobe>>>>>LeBron (remember TMac?). It also mean that Kobe isn't even comparable to MJ and that it's not even close, because it actually is.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Yea...

while individual defense has become weakened since jordan's era, team defense has improved ...

and team D will always be > individual D.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Yea...

while individual defense has become weakened since jordan's era, team defense has improved ...

and team D will always be > individual D.
    Are you kidding? I'd rather go up against Kevin Garnett and the Celtics defense than John Stockton and Karl Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by 7_cody
    Are you kidding? I'd rather go up against Kevin Garnett and the Celtics defense than John Stockton and Karl Malone.
    You seriously would take the Utah Jazz of the 90s over the Celtics of the past few years in terms of defense?

Quote Originally Posted by 7_cody

Key word = Team defense, a handful team play team defense in this era (actually the pistons and the Celtics).. in the golden days all teams strived to play team defense. And Jordan used to shit on team defenses everytime he stepped on the court.

SGK_81
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

what, a bunch or retired stars from the past trying to маке out their time the acme of basketball ?? We've seen that before.
    It would be the same in terms of scoring averages. I could imagine inferior and less-athletic players profiting more from the no hand checking

Local High School Star

you guys should rewatch the 2010 nba finals. The boston celtics mostly single covered kobe bryant with either ray allen on him or tony allen. They did not DOUBLE him on every possession. IN fact, when they did double him, he took stupid forced shots instead of dishing it out to an open teammate. I am not saying that the 2008 and 2010 celtics were not great defensive teams, but kobe's shot selection sure does overrate the celtics a little bit..

Quote Originally Posted by whoartthou
    you guys should rewatch the 2010 nba finals. The boston celtics mostly single covered kobe bryant with either ray allen on him or tony allen. They did not DOUBLE him on every possession. IN fact, when they did double him, he took stupid forced shots instead of dishing it out to an open teammate. I am not saying that the 2008 and 2010 celtics were not great defensive teams, but kobe's shot selection sure does overrate the celtics a little bit..
    Kobe did take some stupid shots but their rotations were perfect anytime he took a dribble towards the basket. They'd always collapse on him with 1 or 2 extra guys if he got anywhere near the paint and if he had just passed more and didn't try to take so many hero shots his team could have won a little easier.

Banned

Derek Fisher also said Kobe could score 50 every night if he wanted to. Doesn't mean shit now does it?

If they called it by the book.. Kobe should averge 15+ft's easily. But that would ruin the game so they allow handchecking etc. Why do you think Ray Allen didn't get into foul trouble after game 1? He still played that same grabbing defense..
    Last edited by ImmortalD24; 07-18-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
    Derek Fisher also said Kobe could score 50 every night if he wanted to. Doesn't mean shit now does it?
    he can't because he'll be operating out of the teams offense. The great ones did it within the team's offense..

Quote Originally Posted by ashbelly
    he can't because he'll be operating out of the teams offense. The great ones did it within the team's offense..
    lol you want me to pull up MJ's team's record when he was scoring major ppg?

Don't try to tell me MJ would average 50 a game today while operating within the offense because that would make you a retard...