Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Default When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or assist

Apparently someone, won't name names thinks that's an assist when it's proven and 3/4 of the world knows that it's a missed shot + rebound

What is it?

I rule the local playground

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or as

Quote Originally Posted by Lyin
    Apparently someone, won't name names thinks that's an assist when it's proven and 3/4 of the world knows that it's a missed shot + rebound

What is it?
    Well its not a missed shot if you miss on purpose IMO. Don't know what the rulebook says.

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or assist

It's not a FGA if it's just tossed off the board, and you can't assist yourself. So it's neither.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or assist

Not a rebound? Ricky Davis tried to throw the ball of the glass to himself to record a triple double and they didn't count it haha.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or as

Quote Originally Posted by AlThornton
    Well its not a missed shot if you miss on purpose IMO. Don't know what the rulebook says.
    It was in the play by play that it's a missed shot. When T-Mac did it in the ASG, it was counted as a missed shot and rebound. Kobe did it last and they clarified it was a missed shot and rebound.

You can't get a SELF assist in basketball

Jesus christ....

Not a rebound? Ricky Davis tried to throw the ball of the glass to himself to record a triple double and they didn't count it haha.
    It didn't count as a missed shot because he threw it off his own net. How can you get an offensive rebound on your net? It obviously wasn't defensive since he shot it.

C'mon... are you guys being serious right now?

Knowledgable fans...please discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoken
    I think the rule book is specific about your own basket.

Otherwise it would have been a rebound.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    I think the rule book is specific about your own basket.

Otherwise it would have been a rebound.
    Exactly. Anyways, self assists don't count and don't exist. If you guys were watching the game last playoffs when Kobe did it, Doug explained that it's a missed shot and rebound.

Decent playground baller Lyoto15's Avatar

Obviously you cannot assist yourself, but being the guys miss intentionally I just can't count it as a rebound or a shot attempt.

So my vote goes for neither.

If i could, I would give myself the assist and a rebound:P

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

CantStop's plan backfiring

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Probably a bit of scorekeeper discretion on if he wants to make it a missed FGA and board or just nothing. Definitely wouldn't be an assist though.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Ha! I was right.

04:16 Bryant Layup Shot: Missed
    04:14 Bryant Rebound (Off:2 Def:4)
    04:14
    [LAL 104-90] Bryant Putback Layup Shot: Made (40 PTS)
    http://www.nba.com/games/20090506/HO...laybyplay.html

Look at the time of the video and the time on the play by play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3f6b3tVchY

OneMoreSucka takes an L. HARD

Haha

So just because ONE SCOREKEEPER let him have it, it's now allowed???

Why do I even bother...

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    So just because ONE SCOREKEEPER let him have it, it's now allowed???

Why do I even bother...

When idiots go on.....

Please, what's next? When it comes from Stern's mouth, it won't count either.

I provided a link. Where's you link that says self assists count?

I never said a single word about self assists so I don't know why you're trying to put words in my mouth now.

The nba rule states: "A field goal attempt is a player's attempt to shoot the ball into the basket for a field goal."

Kobe didn't attempt to shoot the ball, therefore no rebound or field goal attempt should've been rewarded. That's why this is on the SCOREKEEPER and his dumb ass for thinking otherwise.

Game set and match, I'll wait.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

In FIBA I think it's a rebound only if it hits the rim. I'm not sure about now, but back when I was playing this was the rule. In FIBA. As for the NBA... I think it shouldn't have counted as a rebound, it was clearly a self-assist (not counted as an assist).

It might have been counted as one, but I don't like the call. It was on purpose, it didn't hit the rim and it was not a shot attempt.

Whatever.