Default when is competition unhealthy?

Been thinking about this and even though it's the basis for natural selection there's moments where too much losing OR winning becomes unhealthy and you just don't feel right about it. Like if your just dominating a friend 1v1 and he has no idea how to play basketball or even if he does but things are going your way and you beat him 5 times out of 5 a lot of people would just let their friend win the 6th time just so he does hate you for a couple of days

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: when is competition unhealthy?

Ever see Glenngarry Glenn Ross? To me that competition among the salesman was unhealthy where they had their jobs threatened and all of them had to go to extreme measures to win the competition. Granted they were all a$$holes to begin with but when you're livelihood gets threatened that's too far imo.

But I do think competition that's designed to push people for better results is healthy though.

I have actually and that's probably what came to mind.. anyone who has interviewed for a sales job knows what I'm talking about.. i've gotten a lot of sales/"marketing" job interview offers the past few weeks since graduation and they seem to interview everyone and everybody..

even though i'm a pretty competitive person that would be the worst job to me since you pretty much cold-call people from a book you have no relationship with unless your a spoiled trustee who got hired cause your someone's nephew sales would just suck.

It depends on the people. Some people thrive and love competitive environments, some people don't. I personally value peace/good vibes over all.

oh i like to compete as much as anyone but yea not at the cost of alienating friends/family.. I say this as someone who gets a little too competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    It depends on the people. Some people thrive and love competitive environments, some people don't. I personally value peace/good vibes over all.

Translation: I value laziness and stagnation.

NBA Superstar

Sometimes I'll be playing at the gym and occasionally you get guys who, after getting beat in a game or two, stop wanting to keep score and shit...

   

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    Been thinking about this and even though it's the basis for natural selection there's moments where too much losing OR winning becomes unhealthy and you just don't feel right about it. Like if your just dominating a friend 1v1 and he has no idea how to play basketball or even if he does but things are going your way and you beat him 5 times out of 5 a lot of people would just let their friend win the 6th time just so he does hate you for a couple of days
    we evolved a justice system, like other social animals such as dogs. to deliberately fight against this requires willpower, which is a finite thing.

but yeah competition is mos def a primary driving force in life which can also become fatal to a population. millions of examples.

too many alphas in life make the world in to a wasteland in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    we evolved a justice system, like other social animals such as dogs. to deliberately fight against this requires willpower, which is a finite thing.

but yeah competition is mos def a primary driving force in life which can also become fatal to a population. millions of examples.

too many alphas in life make the world in to a wasteland in the end.
    Interesting point, is there a theory that explains this or is this your own?

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    Interesting point, is there a theory that explains this or is this your own?
    Humans are competitive. Humans are also generous.
    There's been a ton of research in recent years to study the evolutionary reasons behind generosity.

Humans are also a social animal and while you might reap more benefits if you are competitive vs a single other person, in a group or social setting, the benefits to each individual are maximized if people cooperate.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 02-15-2015 at 03:42 PM.