Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Will we ever see a better shooting backcourt than S. Curry & K. Thompson?

yeah, lol curry could pull up near midcourt and people would still think it would go in lol

Default Re: Will we ever see a better shooting backcourt than S. Curry & K. Thompson?

Possibly not, but courts like Nash/JJ (put up 46/48 next to Nash, with 17 ppg) can definitely be argued.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyMeatballs
    Okay GTFO. You're using that wayyyyyy too losely.

Steve Nash (2007): 53/45/90 shooting
    Steve Nash (2008): 50/47/91 shooting
    Kyle Korver (2015): 49/49/90 shooting
    Dirk Nowitzki (2007): 50/42/90 shooting
    Tim Legler (1996): 51/52/86 shooting
    Kevin Durant (2013): 51/42/90 shooting
    Reggie Miller (1990): 51/41/87 shooting
    Reggie Miller (1994): 50/42/91 shooting
    Ray Allen (2009): 48/41/95 shooting
    Ray Allen (2001): 48/43/89 shooting
    Ray Allen (2011): 49/44/88 shooting

There's more. Your homer bar just SHATTERED the scale.
    Don't bother with him, dude is just a bandwagon hopper that doesn't know very much.

Don't really like when people talk about shooting then only mention 3pt shooting... Although Curry and Klay are terrific overall shooters ofc.

They're probably the GOAT shooting backcourt yea, but West and Goodrich have something to say about that... Jerry/Gail didn't play with the 3pt line to "prove it" and probably didn't have as good overall %'s (meaning from the FT% and such too) but they were great overall shooters as well and were scoring more points.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Stop.

Bird would be a poor man's Luke Walton in today's game.

He'd literally struggle against a good high school team.

Unfunny trolling.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Don't really like when people talk about shooting then only mention 3pt shooting... Although Curry and Klay are terrific overall shooters ofc.

They're probably the GOAT shooting backcourt yea, but West and Goodrich have something to say about that... Jerry/Gail didn't play with the 3pt line to "prove it" and probably didn't have as good overall %'s (meaning from the FT% and such too) but they were great overall shooters as well and were scoring more points.

Unfunny trolling.

Homie, lets be real about this.

The game has changed too much. People are way more athletic nowadays. Bird would sit the bench in the WNBA.

Middle schoolers would dunk on him and embarrass him. People would cringe just watching him attempt to play competitive basketball in this era.

It is what it is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brain drain
    Those are team stats - can't use those to compare who's the better shooter between two players.

Besides that, Nash was undeniably one of the best shooters ever, but as far as 3 pointers go, you've got to hand it to Curry.

Curry already has 4 seasons > 44% 3pt% , Nash had 3 in his whole career.
    Nash had 10 seasons of < 42% 3pt%, Curry's worst season was 42.4%.

And Curry has been doing it while attempting twice as many attempts. Those are the facts, and those are clearly on Curry's side.

--

And yes, maybe Nash could've done something similar if he had tried to take as many 3-pointers as Curry and if the system was geared to it. But it never happened so we'll never know. And we have to make our judgements on what actually has happened ( see above).

--

Also, there's absolutely a case to be made for Nash being the better complete offensive player and better at running a team offense. But then again, that doesn't say anything about who's the better 3pt shooter.
    Look at how that ORTG changes when he's on/off the court. That's his impact. Compare Phoenix's ORTG before he got there, Nash was what turned that team into an offensive juggernaut. I posted that Nash was the better offensive point guard, hence the ORTG/impact chart. Shooting was addressed above.

I really don't. Curry has been in the league for 6 years, Nash played for 18. I can't remember the last time (in any sport) where 6 years was enough to declare someone the GOAT anything with real certainty.

14/18 seasons with a 40%+ mark from deep, give me that consistency.

I don't buy the volume argument as some be all end all.. It's not like Nash is taking 50 3PAs/season, past a certain point it becomes completely reasonable to extrapolate. Posting a 43% career 3PT% and finishing a career as having made the 15th most 3PT FGs ever should be qualification enough.

What actually happened: 4 50/40/90 seasons, a career 49/43/90 line, 14/18 40% from deep seasons, 60.5 TS%. All-time leader in FT%, 15th all-time in 3PM, 10th all-time in 3P%, all of which came through an 18 year career. I'm still taking Nash > Curry as a shooter for elite consistency and as an offensive PG in general for overall offensive impact, though they are separate categories.

I've mentioned this before, I think that Curry probably will go on to build a career that will establish him as the GOAT shooter...but 6 seasons isn't large enough of a sample to do that. Especially not when there are players who put up elite numbers through their entire careers. If someone wants to argue that he's the #1 shooter, that's your opinion, whatever, but when I see something like "it's not even close," that just pisses me off. It's flat-out disrespectful (not aimed at you, I may not agree with you but you're perfectly entitled to that opinion, and you've got a case for it ).

As a side note, as I was looking through the 3PT% charts, I noticed Drazen Petrovic's name....there's a guy who could have given both of them a run for their money. What a shame.

I will say that Curry is very clearly better than Nash at shooting. That's no knock on Nash, who probably was equal or even better at open shots. Nash pick his spots and get great shots. The difference lies at their repertoire. Curry knock down wide open, half open, hand on face, quick as cheetah release, any distance, any kind of shot with consistency. Nash couldn't do that.

I would still take Nash though over Curry as my PG without hesitance.

National High School Star

Steve Nash was one of my favorite players (as was pretty much every great shooter like Peja etc) and it honestly isn't even close in terms of straight up shooting.

Nash could score just as well as Curry if not better though. People really underestimate Nash's ability to create separation (one of the most important parts of scoring). I actually think Nash did a better job of creating separation/getting to the rim than Curry by a reasonable margin. You isolate Nash in a one on one and he got to the rim against anyone every single time. He also had a better ability to finish close by because he knew how to take small steps and stay grounded (body control).

But, straight up shooting from 19 to 30 feet = Curry by a ridiculously large margin over anyone in the history of the game. Curry is as dominant a 19-30 foot player as Shaq was a 0-3 foot player. Can't say more than that.

I don't think we will. For starters, both are alpha dog kind of scorers. We all know Steph is an alpha dog for sure. However, I think Klay is an alpha dog as well. He just happens to play with a better one in Curry. The fact that both can DOMINATE a game shooting the 3 separates them from the other backcourts.

And when it comes to backcourts in general, I think they can become the greatest of all time. If they win some rings and stay together, they could go down as the greatest. And of course peak wise they are a threat to be the best backcourt of all time! No reason why they couldn't be up there with Isiah-Dumars, West-Goodrich, Clyde-Pearl, or Cousy-Sharman

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Homie, lets be real about this.

The game has changed too much. People are way more athletic nowadays. Bird would sit the bench in the WNBA.

Middle schoolers would dunk on him and embarrass him. People would cringe just watching him attempt to play competitive basketball in this era.

It is what it is.
    Ban worthy ignorance/trolling. Waste of posting space

I rule the local playground

Nash/Wang 01-02

I rule the local playground

Korver and Carroll this year

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Steph Curry has made 284 3's this season, the most in a season by FAR. The next closest player is...Stephen Curry.
    This is about having a great shooting season. It's not all about how many threes a player has made, stupid ass. You said Curry is having the greatest shooting season of all time and then you said it's not even. I hope you were joking because there are tons of guys who've come close or even did better.