Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Convince me that Tim Duncan isn't a top 3 player all-time

-The center of a championship team in 90s, 00s, 10s. 16 consecutive 50 win seasons(has to be a record by far, who is next closest?)

-One of the very best players in the league every year of his career UP TO age 39. Crazy and unrivaled longevity.

Now I will counter what I think people will say are the "knocks" of Tim Duncan.

The knocks seem to be that he is the product of a system? But I don't buy it. Without Tim Duncan that teams history would be very very different. As far as I am concerned he is the modern day Bill Russell, yet a greater individual player.

Another knock that he didn't have a super explosive "prime year" although his 2003 year is almost as good as anyones. 25 PPG 17 RPG 5 APG 5 BPG in the championship game carrying one of the weakest supporting casts of all-time. A Tony Parker that was just drafted and a David Robinson heading out the door averaging less than 10 PPG.

So his prime is good enough to me, but say you have all these players in a draft. How many guys would you honestly take over Duncan who you KNOW will stick with your team for 20 straight years playing at an elite level every single year?

Knowing that information I don't think there is a single plaer in the league I'd draft over him in an all-time draft.
    Last edited by TonyMontana; 04-14-2015 at 04:42 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Convince me that Tim Duncan isn't a top 3 player all-time

well if a 2/5 player is top 3 for you OP then how much for 5/6

His personal hardware isn't on par with top 3 atg status. He's clearly top 10 atg but just not in the top 5. He's somewhere 6-10. Also, as you mentioned, his peak wasn't as resounding as say a Shaq, Wilt or Hakeem. He's up there, just not top 3. No shame in that.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

wb Tony

Very easy, just take a look at Jordan's, Russell's & Kareem's career's and compare to Duncan... and there you go...

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Very easy, just take a look at Jordan's, Russell's & Kareem's career's and compare to Duncan... and there you go...
    i know you want to include bran. Cmon dont be shy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    I've looked at them and I'm not convinced.

What did Russell do that Duncan didn't? Duncan is superior to him in every way. His however many rings in a 8 team league arn't more impressive than Duncans 5(soon to be 6 *******s) in a 30 team league.

Comparing the MVP across eras doesn't quite work either. The MVP in its current stage is just a fad award they give to the team that takes the next step and coasts through the year. Very rarely does it go to the best player. (See Rose in 2011, Curry this year). They get bored giving it to the same guy too many times.

I will take Duncan who I'm guaranteed to have at an elite level until he is 39 over any other player. I'll enjoy my 16 consecutive 50 win seasons.

If extreme longevity's your thing, then Duncan, Stockton, Malone, Kareem's your guy.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

system player....Duncan IS the system

Michael Jordan - obvious reasons

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Duncan already has more playoff minutes than Kareem so even if he does get 6 rings, Kareem did it faster. Duncan's peak never approached Kareem's.

Random 3rd player better than Duncan

Duncan is an elite player with a lot of accomplishments, but his peak is nowhere near players like Shaq, Kareem, Wilt. No way he's a top 3.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    -The center of a championship team in 90s, 00s, 10s. 16 consecutive 50 win seasons(has to be a record by far, who is next closest?)
    David Robinson played the center position during first 2 titles, and the reality is that Tim Duncan played the majority of his career at PF, although his natural position is center.

Tim Duncan is not ahead of guys like Kareem, MJ, Magic, even Shaq ... so it is safe to say that he doesn't belong to TOP 3.

Banned

He's top 10 all time, but at his peak he was only marginally better if better than at all than Dirk and he was never as dominant as Kobe and Shaq. 2nd best player of the post-Jordan era though.

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    David Robinson played the center position during first 2 titles, and the reality is that Tim Duncan played the majority of his career at PF, although his natural position is center.
    I don't think he meant the center position, but rather the most important (central) player in the team.

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

No, just no. Duncan is GOAT #6. 3rd best player of the post-Jordan era. If he wins another ring, he moves to GOAT #5, surpassing Kobe and becoming the 2nd best player of the post-Jordan era. Kobe and Duncan are neck and neck in the all time rankings in terms of both team accomplishments and personal accolades. It hangs on how they close things off during these twilight years. Currently it is looking more promising for Duncan.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    I don't think he meant the center position, but rather the most important (central) player in the team.
    No doubt that Duncan is the cornerstone of Spurs dynasty, but this doesn't mean that he is above Kareem, Shaq, MJ and Magic (not that these are the TOP 4 - just mentioning some TOP 10 players).