Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I rep Lakers!

Default Re: If Duncan gets that 5th ring....

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    Kobe had a 4 year drought. Lebron had a 4 year drought. Shaq's last trip was in '06. Nobody from this era consistently gets to the Finals. Duncan would be tied for the most rings of this era, and already has the most FMVP's (along with Shaq).

Who from this era could say they have a better resume than Duncan if he wins this year? Nobody. Thus, he's the greatest winner of the era. Need me to walk you through anything else?
    But Kobe got to the Finals 3 years in a row twice??

Book 'em Dan'l

I do agree Duncan gets the nod over Kobe if he wins a 5th. At the moment, I feel he's a hair below Kobe at the moment. real close.

My top 5 if Duncan does win:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Bill Russell
    3. Kareem Abdul Jabaar
    4. Magic Johnson
    5. Tim Duncan

people may rank Kareem over Magic, but I can't disregard Kareem's years with Milwaukee, and carrying them with a past prime Oscar Robertson. the big O could only do so much, so Kareem helped them to 2 finals, winning 1. Could have a good chance at winning the 2nd, but lost to Boston. Unfortunately Robertson shot very poorly (2/13), which turned out to be his final game of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    I always find it amusing how in comparison to every other Top 10 GOAT on ISH, Tim Duncan never gets flak for having a high quality team around him. Everyone just assumes he's always played with mediocre or shitty teammates.
    Tim Duncan and Shaq are the two untouchables on ISH, but I think it mainly has to do with how obnoxious Kobe's fans are here. If they calmed that shit down a bit, I think people would be a bit more objective about Duncan and Shaq and point out the flaws in both of these player's careers.

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    But Kobe got to the Finals 3 years in a row twice??
    Sorry, doesn't count. Losing in the finals according to this idiot is much, MUCH worse than getting knocked out in the playoffs. Oh, and Parker winning FMVP has zero effect on Duncan's legacy, but every one of Kobe's FMVP's are suspect, and his rings with Shaq don't count.

I had Duncan at 9.

With a finals MVP and 5th title, I move him up to 8.

1. MJ
    2. Russell
    3. Kareem
    4. Wilt
    5. Bird
    6. Magic
    7. Shaq
    8. Duncan
    9. Hakeem
    10. Kobe/James(depending on career titles)

I am your soldier!

Anyone who thinks Duncan isn't ahead of Kobe already is a grade A moron.

I think it bumps him to the top of the Duncan/Shaq/Hakeem, #7-#9 trio.

1. Jordan
    2. KAJ
    3. Russell
    4. Wilt
    5. Magic
    6. Bird
    7. Duncan
    8. Shaquille
    9. Hakeem
    10. LeBron

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Anyone who thinks Duncan isn't ahead of Kobe already is a grade A moron.
    Exactly. The fact that there are Kobe stans here arguing that he'd be above Duncan AFTER he gets his 5th ring (hypothetically) is just hilarious.

I rep Lakers!

Kobe and Duncan are the two greatest players of their era. But I would still give the nod to Kobe because he has rarely not done something worthwhile with a good team. The only time I can really say that the Lakers underperformed was in 2011 when we got swept by Dallas. While Duncan has underperformed with good teams more than once. Last year they should have beaten the inexperienced Thunder after going up 2-0 because their team was good enough to do it. And they lost in the 1st round vs a 8th seed. And I don't really remember the Suns series in 2000 but they lost in the 1st round after winning the championship the year earlier and for has great that he is he has never won back-to-back...
    Last edited by WeGetRing2012; 05-26-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Tim Duncan and Shaq are the two untouchables on ISH, but I think it mainly has to do with how obnoxious Kobe's fans are here. If they calmed that shit down a bit, I think people would be a bit more objective about Duncan and Shaq and point out the flaws in both of these player's careers.
    It's sad that people let their dislike for people totally unrelated to what a player does on the court affect their objectivity when evaluating said player's career. I've never understood that logic: "Player A has obnoxious fans, so I'm going to hate Player A." I think Michael Jordan fans on ISH are the absolute worst, that's not gonna make me think any less of him as a player though.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    Kobe and Duncan are the two greatest players of their era. But I would still give the nod to Kobe because he has rarely not done something worthwhile with a good team. The only time I can really say that the Lakers underperformed was in 2011 when we got swept by Dallas. While Duncan has underperformed with good teams more than once. Last year they should have beaten the inexperienced Thunder because their team was good enough to do it. And they lost in the 1st round vs a 8th seed. And I don't really remember the Suns series in 2000 but they lost in the 1st round after winning the championship the year earlier and for has great that he is he has never won back-to-back...
    You mean the year that Duncan got injured in the playoffs? That would add more to his legacy... his team with D-Rob got dusted without him to a Phoenix Suns team with Jason Kidd, Rodney Rogers, and Clifford Robinson.

Not airballing my layups anymore uoykcuf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    I think it bumps him to the top of the Duncan/Shaq/Hakeem, #7-#9 trio.

1. Jordan
    2. KAJ
    3. Russell
    4. Wilt
    5. Magic
    6. Bird
    7. Duncan
    8. Shaquille
    9. Hakeem
    10. LeBron
    Only change I'd make is switching #2 & #3

Without his fifth he's better than Kobe.

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    You mean the year that Duncan got injured in the playoffs? That would add more to his legacy... his team with D-Rob got dusted without him to a Phoenix Suns team with Jason Kidd, Rodney Rogers, and Clifford Robinson.
    Yeah I said I didn't remember what happened.

So Kobe's injury only adds to his legacy this year too.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    Where will he rank?

He'd be the greatest winner of this era.
    Sooooooooo about a Dirk-led team never winning a title