Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #3106
Dresta
A humble prophet

Dresta is starting to rub some people the wrong wayDresta is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: What are you reading?

Best of the Greek dramatists imo ^^^^

I find it interesting that the universals often alluded to in here, are rather similar to Christian ones - makes it clear why Christian thought managed to incorporate its Greek antecedents so smoothly (e.g. Plato).
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #3107
Smoke117
Too Far Gone

Smoke117 has decent reputationSmoke117 has decent reputation

The last book of Esslemont's Malazan books...though really they revolve more around The Crimson Guard than anything. If you ever wanted to know about a lot of names you heard of in Erikson's books from the "old guard" before Ammanas (shadowthrone) and Cotillion became Gods...you should read these books. It's funny because you can actually read Erikson and Esslemont's books at the same time if you know the timeline...but like me and most people...i'm sure you didn't. I remember being frustrated and wondering why some characters were introduced to just go away...well this is why...they were in Esslemont's novels. The stories for a lot of characters you are curious about that had no conclusion in Erikson's novels are here in his. I actually find it kind of cool how they separated their vision and both got to tell some great stories.

Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #3108
senelcoolidge
NBA lottery pick

senelcoolidge has a bad reputationsenelcoolidge has a bad reputationsenelcoolidge has a bad reputation

Finally some R.E.H. Probably my favorite author overall. I've only read the first 4 stories thus far. I don't know anyone else that can write action scenes like Howard could. So far "Hawks over Egypt" has been the best one. A Spaniard is incognito as a Moor in Egypt seeking revenge against a Moslum that killed a loved one. He befriends a Turk who wants to go in leader ship rank in that region. The Spaniard talks the Turk into helping him kill this guy Al Hakim. But in the end Al Hakim gets killed by a woman he spited. A woman he forcibly made a part of his harem. There is so much going on..action, adventure, blood, etc. Awesome stuff.

Excerpt from the story "The Lion of Tiberias"
"His was a large figure alien and incongruous, his red mane contrasting with the black locks about him no less than his dusty gray mail contrasted with the plumed burnished headpieces and silvered hauberks of the slayers. He was tall and powerful,with a wolfish hardness of limbs and frame that his mail could not conceal. His dark, scarred face was moody, his blue eyes cold and hard as the blue steel whereof Rhineland gnomes forge swords for heroes in northern forests." R.E.H.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:06 AM   #3109
fsvr54
Bitch Hands

fsvr54 has no real reputation yet.

Just finished this

Really good book, Yates has great insight into the human condition in modern times

Going to start this soon
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #3110
senelcoolidge
NBA lottery pick

senelcoolidge has a bad reputationsenelcoolidge has a bad reputationsenelcoolidge has a bad reputation

Not into poetry that much. But I read a little of Robinson's work in the past and liked it.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:24 AM   #3111
!@#$%Vectors!@#
Epee Is<3 Epee is Life

!@#$%Vectors!@# has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvr54
Just finished this

Really good book, Yates has great insight into the human condition in modern times

Going to start this soon

You literally will not stop laughing Confed of Dunces. Ignatius is one of the most hilarious characters ever written by anyone. I always wonderd how someone like Kennedy with so much wit and humor could be depressed enough to kill himself. Anyway, you will enjoy it immensely it's one of my favorite books......Comuniss!
!@#$%Vectors!@# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:28 AM   #3112
!@#$%Vectors!@#
Epee Is<3 Epee is Life

!@#$%Vectors!@# has an OK reputation so far

Just started this.
!@#$%Vectors!@# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:38 AM   #3113
Akrazotile
7-time NBA All-Star

Akrazotile has a bad reputationAkrazotile has a bad reputationAkrazotile has a bad reputationAkrazotile has a bad reputationAkrazotile has a bad reputation

Been on my bookshelf for a little while. Figured this would be an appropriate month to read it. Haven't seen the movie either, altho I'm aware of the general plot.

It's pretty interesting so far, the details of Kunta growing up in Juffure. Good pace and clear style of writing as well. So far so good.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:52 AM   #3114
outbreak

outbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation here

On book 7 at the moment
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #3115
outbreak

outbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%Vectors!@#
You literally will not stop laughing Confed of Dunces. Ignatius is one of the most hilarious characters ever written by anyone. I always wonderd how someone like Kennedy with so much wit and humor could be depressed enough to kill himself. Anyway, you will enjoy it immensely it's one of my favorite books......Comuniss!
If you want some good comedy read jeeves and wooster by pg wodehouse
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #3116
Dresta
A humble prophet

Dresta is starting to rub some people the wrong wayDresta is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
If you want some good comedy read jeeves and wooster by pg wodehouse

Am I the only one who prefers Blandings to Jeeves?

Also, don't forget the Psmith (the "p" is silent) series, Ukridge, and Piccadilly Jim--all brilliant creations of Wodehouse.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: