Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Preparation for High School Ball

i miss high school, wish I tried for basketball, baseball sucked

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Just put in work this morning with the same trainer that worked with Paul Pierce and Jason Kidd. An hour with him is more beneficial in my opinion than shooting by myself or playing pickup games for 5-6 hours. Then after my family went for lunch at an asian village in Cupertino. There was a Quickly and I was highly tempted with their dozens of flavors of milk teas( especially peppermint my favorite) in addition to crepes and waffle fries but I was a good boy and just stuck with a Dreyers Strawberry Banana smoothie to go with the Szechuan food my mom bought. Now I'm sitting on my toilet listening to Blow Up by J Cole and typing this up. Mmm good start to my Sunday.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Also my rebounding could use some work, any tips on:

1. Timing
    2. Grabbing the ball with 2 hands( not playing volleyball with it)
    3. Securing the rebound after snatching it( sometimes I don't protect the ball very well and it gets slapped at or poked loose by a sneaky defender)
    4. Fighting through a huge player's boxout
    5. Boxing out huge players( I know the saying is low man always wins but are there any other tips regarding this?)
    1. I think timing is a learned trait. The more you play, the more you're going to notice patterns to how certain shots from certain areas of the floor are going to come off the iron. I think being conscious of what type of shot results in what type of miss will help in developing the spacing and timing aspect essential to consistent rebounding.

2. Again, I think realizing you sometimes play volleyball instead of grabbing the rock with two-hands is half the battle. You recognize what you're doing wrong, so change it. Often, I think we tend to bat the ball when we feel we're not going to be able to safely grab it amongst a crowd. If that's the case, perhaps look into tapping the ball upward to keep it alive, perhaps toward an open area where you'd then be able to better secure the rock.

I'm also big into jumping rope. I think it is a very solid help in building the ability to bounce quickly and repeatedly off the floor. In instances where a rebound cannot be immediately grabbed and extra jumps are necessary, I think jumping rope can provide an advantage in that regard.

3. Securing and chinning the ball is habitual. I also think it's a byproduct of aggressiveness. Grabbing a rebound should be an authoritative action. It doesn't necessarily have to include over-the-top theatrics, but a player should always be definitive in their carom.

As you mentioned, being aware of your surroundings is also a big part of the equation. That doesn't mean counting out the opposing team's players to ensure you're alone with your board. Rather, it just means you have to be alert at all times. Don't grab a board and assume a relaxed upward stance. And don't flick a soft outlet pass to a guard. Perhaps you should assume people are in your area even if you're pretty sure they're not.

Sometimes it's second nature for younger players to "ball up" when they get a rebound in traffic. That's actually pretty darn counterproductive. The bigger, more assertive and wilier a person grabbing a rebound looks, the less likely I'm going to try to sneak up and try to poke that rock away.

4. Fighting through a box out is where things got very interesting and fun for me when I played on official teams. There is often a litany of options to combating a strong box out.

For starters, if a defender is particularly aggressive in boxing you out, not only attempting to keep you from moving forward, but also actively attempting to move you out to the three point line, I'll often pull the chair on them. That is, instead of resisting the boxout with counterforce, I'll give and open up the possibility of him experiencing a slight imbalance, thus opening up a rebounding lane.

Second, and maybe this should have been number one, but experiment with what you can and what you cannot get away with. Many players grow up assuming rebounding is a matter of boxing out and jumping. In fact, there's a whole lot of room for grabbing, holding, and tangling whenever a shot goes up. I was forever tinkering with strategies involving creating force and inviting counterforce as a means of finding myself a better position to claim a rebound.

With big players, find one of their breaking points. Be sure to answer their call with aggressiveness (though not overly so). Sometimes just being a pest will pay dividends. Put a body on a player somewhere. There's a lot of big men who know what to expect when a shot goes up, but there's also many big men out there who do not respond well to someone who meets and exceeds their own intensity level.

5. On the flip side, if you're not trying to get around a big man and instead you're in a situation where you have position and must box him out, I say stick to your rebounding principles. Again, basketball is always basketball. There's rules that limit how much contact can occur in certain situations. Sure, I bet a lot of us have played against guys so much larger that they were able to negate any work we were doing boxing out by just legally reaching over us, but that's not always the case.

The truth of the matter is, if you're successfully boxing out a big player and the ball's coming your way, it's your right to grab that rebound. If you feel he's about to attempt to jump over your back, invite that contact. Sometimes, if I felt a player was about to attempt to leap over me for a board, I'd try to subtly attempt for the rebound with my body moving ever so slightly in his direction, making an over the back call more obvious to recognize.

Officials will very often reward defenders who are actively and fundamentally boxing out their opponents, whether those opponents are tall or short, big or small. Those same officials are much more likely to swallow those whistles if no boxing out is occurring and it's just a giant jumping contest (even if it ends with someone technically going over your back).
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

^ I wish you were my coach in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    For starters, if a defender is particularly aggressive in boxing you out, not only attempting to keep you from moving forward, but also actively attempting to move you out to the three point line, I'll often pull the chair on them. That is, instead of resisting the boxout with counterforce, I'll give and open up the possibility of him experiencing a slight imbalance, thus opening up a rebounding lane.

5. On the flip side, if you're not trying to get around a big man and instead you're in a situation where you have position and must box him out, I say stick to your rebounding principles. Again, basketball is always basketball. There's rules that limit how much contact can occur in certain situations. Sure, I bet a lot of us have played against guys so much larger that they were able to negate any work we were doing boxing out by just legally reaching over us, but that's not always the case.

The truth of the matter is, if you're successfully boxing out a big player and the ball's coming your way, it's your right to grab that rebound. If you feel he's about to attempt to jump over your back, invite that contact. Sometimes, if I felt a player was about to attempt to leap over me for a board, I'd try to subtly attempt for the rebound with my body moving ever so slightly in his direction, making an over the back call more obvious to recognize.

Officials will very often reward defenders who are actively and fundamentally boxing out their opponents, whether those opponents are tall or short, big or small. Those same officials are much more likely to swallow those whistles if no boxing out is occurring and it's just a giant jumping contest (even if it ends with someone technically going over your back).
    Please educate me about the over the back rule. Is it similar to loose ball fouls called in NBA games?

NBA Superstar

Please educate me about the over the back rule. Is it similar to loose ball fouls called in NBA games?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. By over the back, I was just referring to those "loose ball" situations where a player attempts to grab a rebound by making illegal contact with a player from behind while jumping or leaning for a rebound.

Just had another workout with private trainer and tommorow is last tournament of Fall AAU as school season is starting. Should be interesting as we might potentially play against my old team.

Future D1 Dad

Just had another workout with private trainer and tommorow is last tournament of Fall AAU as school season is starting. Should be interesting as we might potentially play against my old team.
    how much u payin for these workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    how much u payin for these workouts?
    $60 per

We already paid $600 in advance for 10 workouts.

Future D1 Dad

$60 per

We already paid $600 in advance for 10 workouts.
    seems kinda steep but if it helps then it's worth it.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

seems kinda steep but if it helps then it's worth it.
    Gonna get your kid them lessons eh? :P

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Gonna get your kid them lessons eh? :P
    there's nobody worth a crap around here. lot of bs'ers. i did contact a kid who played college ball locally and he agreed to work my son out. only problem is he's gonna be playing pro overseas i think.

there's nobody worth a crap around here. lot of bs'ers. i did contact a kid who played college ball locally and he agreed to work my son out. only problem is he's gonna be playing pro overseas i think.
    Where do you live? I think I remember you saying Indiana but I can't be sure.

So pumped for monday.

Future D1 Dad

Where do you live? I think I remember you saying Indiana but I can't be sure.
    terre haute. where larry legend played college ball at.