Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony = Dominique Wilkins

Carmelo Anthony = Alex English and Bernard King ( Former NBA Scoring Champs)

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    im mostly talking career and number-wise. like i said melo's more powerfull

Melo's numbers are considerably better than Robinson's. And 5 years doesn't make a career for guy that's only 23 (well 24, but just after his season).

And saying Melo doesn't win with his team is ****ing retarded. Like Nugzfan said, he took the worst team in the league, and with a couple of mid level role players took them instantly to the playoffs in a very tough division. And has made the team a perennial playoff team. That's not losing

Carmelo is more Adrian Dantley than Nique. He isn't as explosive as pre-injury Bernard king either. Dantley is the most similar to Carmelo's game imo.

Local High School Star JohnnyBravo5's Avatar

I think Carmelo is like a healthy Danny Manning...who ironically was traded for Nique.

Diaw Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
    Melo's numbers are considerably better than Robinson's. And 5 years doesn't make a career for guy that's only 23 (well 24, but just after his season).

And saying Melo doesn't win with his team is ****ing retarded. Like Nugzfan said, he took the worst team in the league, and with a couple of mid level role players took them instantly to the playoffs in a very tough division. And has made the team a perennial playoff team. That's not losing
    Right... because the 03 and 04 team were exactly the same aside from Melo right? And tough division? There were the T-Wolves and that's it. It's not like Portland, Seattle, or Utah were making any noise whatsoever. Why do you think people gave Lebron the ROY award even though his team only won 30ish games? Because he clearly did more to lead the team.

You'd think that if he was so good he would've not been routinely brushed out in the first round on such a stacked team.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    Right... because the 03 and 04 team were exactly the same aside from Melo right? And tough division? There were the T-Wolves and that's it. It's not like Portland, Seattle, or Utah were making any noise whatsoever. Why do you think people gave Lebron the ROY award even though his team only won 30ish games? Because he clearly did more to lead the team.

You'd think that if he was so good he would've not been routinely brushed out in the first round on such a stacked team.
    See this is what happens when stupid people try to be smart.

First of all the division wasn't just Twolves/Denver/Portland/Seattle/Utah that year, there were only 2 divisions in the each conference and Sea and Por weren't even in that division... instead it was San An/Dallas/Houston/Memphis 3 of which were 50 win teams and the other 45 wins. Furthermore, no team in that division finished with a .500 or less record (Utah was 42-40).

2nd They gave Lebron the ROY for what many people admitted to, because they felt like Lebron would be a great player in the future and it would look funny not giving it to him (and considering Melo is also a young perennial allstar as well, I don't think it would look funny at all). And while the Cavs improved, you and anybody else would have to be stupid as hell to think Lebron "led" them better at **** that year. LOL @ clearly did a better job of leading the team that year.

3rd, the only other real difference between that 03 and 04 team besides Melo as far as personnel was Miller... a man who previously has not helped any team win sh*t, and like I said in my original post... is a role player. Ofcourse he helped, but Melo led that team to that huge turnaround. A team that EVERYBODY went into the season thinking would be once again one of the worse teams in the league.

4th Denver may look good on paper, but they're not built correctly or coached properly. Even besides all of that, a large reason they don't get out of the first round is because of injuries both hurting their standings and putting them against a top seeded team (3 times they've gone against the eventual WCF champ, and once against the Wolves with the best record in the league) and injuries in the playoffs. So don't pretend that anybody is stupid enough here to think that Melo and Denver are losing in the playoffs when they're favored every year.

G'day

Diaw Fan

First of all the division wasn't just Twolves/Denver/Portland/Seattle/Utah that year, there were only 2 divisions in the each conference and Sea and Por weren't even in that division... instead it was San An/Dallas/Houston/Memphis 3 of which were 50 win teams and the other 45 wins. Furthermore, no team in that division finished with a .500 or less record (Utah was 42-40).

2nd They gave Lebron the ROY for what many people admitted to, because they felt like Lebron would be a great player in the future and it would look funny not giving it to him (and considering Melo is also a young perennial allstar as well, I don't think it would look funny at all). And while the Cavs improved, you and anybody else would have to be stupid as hell to think Lebron "led" them better at **** that year. LOL @ clearly did a better job of leading the team that year.

3rd, the only other real difference between that 03 and 04 team besides Melo as far as personnel was Miller... a man who previously has not helped any team win sh*t, and like I said in my original post... is a role player. Ofcourse he helped, but Melo led that team to that huge turnaround. A team that EVERYBODY went into the season thinking would be once again one of the worse teams in the league.

4th Denver may look good on paper, but they're not built correctly or coached properly. Even besides all of that, a large reason they don't get out of the first round is because of injuries both hurting their standings and putting them against a top seeded team (3 times they've gone against the eventual WCF champ, and once against the Wolves with the best record in the league) and injuries in the playoffs. So don't pretend that anybody is stupid enough here to think that Melo and Denver are losing in the playoffs when they're favored every year.

G'day

1. You got me. I totally forgot that it used to just be MidWest and Pacific.

2. The Cavs made NO additions (although addition through subtraction is arguable regarding Ricky Davis) aside from Lebron heading into the 03-04 season and he effectively doubled their wins. Melo on the other hand came to a completely different and much better team and only topped Lebron's win total by 6.

3. I'm not sure if you're kidding. Because the only one that played significant games the year prior from that 04 team was Nene. Camby was injured all year and they got Lenard and Miller and Anthony. The only person from that 02-03 team that still has a job in the NBA is Nene and the aforementioned injured Camby. Most of them didn't even make it to the 04 team. So to say that they only added Miller would be incorrect. They practically got a team overhaul and Anthony was in the right place at the right time. I'm also not sure why you decided to suddenly bash on Miller when most role players are simply role players. This is not Elton Brand or Vince Carter we're talking about.

4. You guys have gone through two coaches already and Karl came to the rescue in 04-05 when you guys were on the verge of missing the playoffs. There are many teams that have far less talent and still manage to creep into the playoffs. If there's nobody to guide them then it should be up to the leader of the team to step up. But instead of doing so Anthony does nothing but repeatedly get in trouble. Even since acquiring Iverson, that team has accomplished jack. You could say getting a team studded with lottery picks and quality pieces to the 6-8th seed and routinely getting beaten in 5 games and under an accomplishment but I'll have to disagree.
    Last edited by Prodigy; 08-03-2008 at 12:58 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    im still saying

melo = glenn robinson

Still saying this.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

NBA Legend

G'day

got damn

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I made this thread 7 years ago and I ended up being right on the money.

Different playing styles, Dominique was more athletic and a great finisher, Carmelo is more skilled and has a better jumper.

Career scoring averages...
    Dominique - 25 ppg
    Carmelo 25 ppg

Stats are very similar all across the board including fg%, reb, & ast.

Dominique - 7x All-NBA Team, 9x All-Star
    Carmelo - 6x All-NBA Team, 8x All-Star

Both players aren't known for making their teammates better and they are not known for their defense. Both made multiple playoff appearances that ended pretty quickly.

1987 Lakers = Nostradamus

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    I made this thread 7 years ago and I ended up being right on the money.

Different playing styles, Dominique was more athletic and a great finisher, Carmelo is more skilled and has a better jumper.

Career scoring averages...
    Dominique - 25 ppg
    Carmelo 25 ppg

Stats are very similar all across the board including fg%, reb, & ast.

Dominique - 7x All-NBA Team, 9x All-Star
    Carmelo - 6x All-NBA Team, 8x All-Star

Both players aren't known for making their teammates better and they are not known for their defense. Both made multiple playoff appearances that ended pretty quickly.

1987 Lakers = Nostradamus

You should track down gobb and literally make him eat your shit.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    You should track down gobb and literally make him eat your shit.
    He's still hiding from me after I raped him in a debate in the football forum a few months back.

Banned

Almost identical at age 27.

NBA All-star

if we were to make the comparison by saying impact wise, and thus also allow slight differences in PER for it not being considered as an end all measurement to players dominance.

by taking into Carmelo Anthony's early year accomplishments, this can be made as a fair comparison.

as for what differences does playing style really matters then?

if we go by the Princeton offense, we would derive to the answer with, who hustles more in a half court or a full court setting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Does anyone else think of Dominique Wilkins when you talk about Carmelo?

Both great scorers but thats about it. Not much team success. Of course Carmelo didn't have the athletic ability Dominique had and Carmelo certainly didn't have Dominique's dunking ability.
    I see the comparison! Stylistically, Melo reminds me of Bernard King the most. But in terms of being a true alpha dog scorer AND great rebounding SF in one, Melo, King (great rebounder and Nique are very similar), and Nique are similar.

The unique thing about Melo is the fact that he blends the scoring skillsets of Bernard King, Dantley, Aguirre, and Alex English into one. I think he's the most similar to King, but he has traits of the other guys as well. Nique comes from the family tree of the freak athletic SF's. The guys like Baylor, Hawkins, and Dr. J. But Nique's scoring skillset was better than all of those guys.

But sadly, Melo's legacy will get underrated and hated like Nique IF he doesn't win a ring. Both guys get shitted on for what they CAN'T do INSTEAD of being applauded for what they are great at. The SF's like Bron, Bird, and Hondo were such epic all around players that other great SF's tend to get underrated at times.
    Last edited by bizil; 09-11-2015 at 07:08 PM.