Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Raptors starting 5 - Bryan Colangelo impact

Lowry - Traded for by BC
    Derozan - Drafted by BC
    Ross - Drafted by BC
    Amir - Signed contract when BC was GM
    JV - Drafted by BC

If not for Bargani - would the hate for BC be so deep? Thoughts?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Raptors starting 5 - Bryan Colangelo impact

He definitely did some things that worked out well (he always managed to do lots of little things well even while consistently getting the big decisions wrong). But the Raptors would be nowhere near where they are now if Colangelo was still around. He looked at Bargnani and Rudy Gay and saw them as cornerstones of the franchise to be built around. Ujiri looked at the same two and saw that they were what was holding the team back.

Quote Originally Posted by keantona
    He definitely did some things that worked out well (he always managed to do lots of little things well even while consistently getting the big decisions wrong). But the Raptors would be nowhere near where they are now if Colangelo was still around. He looked at Bargnani and Rudy Gay and saw them as cornerstones of the franchise to be built around. Ujiri looked at the same two and saw that they were what was holding the team back.
    Exactly. He was building around Bargs and Gay. He wanted Jose as our point guard and was initially looking to trade Kyle Lowry.

Then, as much as I like T-Ross, he took him over Andre Drummond because of how set in his ways he was about Bargs. I'll give him credit for Derozan, I wasn't sold on him but he sold me over the last couple years.

Amir, well Amir's a solid pickup but it's just a piece, you know what I mean?

It's like he got some good puzzle pieces that could be major contributors to a good team but his overall vision, he didn't know how to put them together.

Random note, as I was looking up the 2009 draft I realize we have 3 1st rounders from there, Derozan (9) JJ (16) Hansborough (13)

And the following players were taken ahead of Steph Curry (7)
    Hasheem Thabeet (2) - I think one of the biggest draft busts of all time.
    Tyreke Evans
    Ricky Rubio
    Jonny Flynn

Not airballing my layups anymore

Great points

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 00playboy00
    Lowry - Traded for by BC
    Derozan - Drafted by BC
    Ross - Drafted by BC
    Amir - Signed contract when BC was GM
    JV - Drafted by BC

If not for Bargani - would the hate for BC be so deep? Thoughts?
    Bryan is that you ? No media read this page.

---
    Colangelo's track record as pointed out above is very mixed.

Drafting Derozan / JV and trading for Klow do count in the plus category.

Bargnani is not the only negative.

Colangelo never seemed to have a solid plan B. He was always focused on his vision and never seemed to make allowances for his own mis-judegements. He had his guys because of talent on paper.. or his vision of how it should work.. and it was always the coach or someone else not executing his vision.

1) Chris Bosh will sign and stay ! Plan B.. nope

2) Andreas Bargnani will turn into an all-star ! Plan B ..nope

3) Rudy Gay is a center piece all star and despite skill overlap with Derozan (recently signed for $9M) they can go exist and score buckets effectively ! Plan B ... nope

4) Steve Nash will want to be Captain Canada in Toronto ! All we have to do to secure his services is handicap the Knicks salary cap with a bad deal for Landry Fields ! Plan B ... nope...

<< you could argue Klow was plan B I suppose. The question would therefore be judgement. What would do Nash / Calderon.. because he certainly did not deal with Klow / Calderon well >>

5) Tross over Drummond because he was an NBA ready mature shooter and was insurance for Derozan (?? after we invested $9M??) ! Reach down the draft ladder for a player rather than trade down ! Plan B ... nope.

etc etc

The big difference being Masai doesn't seem locked in on his vision.

Masai on the other hand seems to build consensus in direction and then lets the Management team work to implement that vision; Furthermore despite resigning our free agents Masai does not seem beholden to any asset as untouchable ~ he seems to build for longer term consistency and he seems to always tier his players and contracts so he does not face a "seminal year" where 75% of the team can walk away.

Examples are the potential Knicks deal for KLow..which was "very close" till Dolan veto'ed.

Masai is basking in a little glory right now and some luck comes into play. Who knew the Vasquez and Patterson for Gay would work out sooooo very good. Patterson had question marks at the time. Vasquez had also bounced around.

But over all because he is not so locked in on his "personal perfection" his mistakes (when they come - they will come) will not be franchise killing for 7 seasons...

Agree completely Jballer. Well said.