Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: How is Paul Pierce such a good player???

^ Did this guy just go on a 3 paragraph rant trying to explain that he isn't mad?

Classic.

The "U Mad" pictures are actually pretty lame. They're just another internet meme that's abused to hell by dimwitted mimicking idiots who are too stupid to even understand the humor behind them.

The welfare-baby human refuse on ISH uses them whenever they don't agree with someone. I could make a totally innocuous statement like "The Knicks really played poorly last night" and I'll be flooded with a bunch of idiots posting "U MAD?" pictures. Har-har-har... Hilarious!

Check my earlier posts in the thread. Am I mad? Why the f*ck would I be? My team has 5 titles and 7 championship appearances in the past decade alone. They've won it all the past 2 years and are on their way to winning it all again this year. What possible reason would I have to be mad about a fat, bucktoothed, flopper and his bvtthvrt fans? The Celtics have nothing I covet. It's the other way around. Celtic fans mad, and they can suck my hairy LA d*ck.

[Clueless morons posting more "U MAD?" pics in 5... 4... 3... ]
    2 Things:

1.) Pride comes before the fall.

2):

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    you are talking about the prime Paul Pierce right?

Average SF in the league is much more athletic, by any dimension of athleticism, than Paul Pierce is right now.

Paul Pierce gets outrun by a dribbling Joachim Noah.

SF is probably the most ahlete filled position in the league. You don't need to have great dribbling or shooting ability to play the 3 usually. Most 3s are slashers
    1: This very season Pierce is 15th among SFs in dunks, and he does this as a guy who creates much of his own offense. He's a very good athlete, just not at the level as a leaper of guys like James, Josh Smith, etc.
    2: You don't need to be particularly good at dribbling, shooting, etc. if you're happy just being a guy like James Posey but in order to excel and be a go-to guy like Pierce you have to have some major game. And most threes are expected to have the three in their arsenal, by the way.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    1: This very season Pierce is 15th among SFs in dunks, and he does this as a guy who creates much of his own offense. He's a very good athlete, just not at the level as a leaper of guys like James, Josh Smith, etc.
    2: You don't need to be particularly good at dribbling, shooting, etc. if you're happy just being a guy like James Posey but in order to excel and be a go-to guy like Pierce you have to have some major game. And most threes are expected to have the three in their arsenal, by the way.
    He really isn't that good of an athlete.. he's just an extremely smart and crafty player and he's very aggressive.

The reason he usually gets by defenders isn't because he has a very quick first step, but it's because defenders have to respect his great midrange game and play him tight because he's a very good shooter. Since he's a strong guy that can dribble with either hand, he can usually get by a defender thats pressing him.

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by BoxOutBOXOUT
    The "U Mad" pictures are actually pretty lame. They're just another internet meme that's abused to hell by dimwitted mimicking idiots who are too stupid to even understand the humor behind them.

The welfare-baby human refuse on ISH uses them whenever they don't agree with someone. I could make a totally innocuous statement like "The Knicks really played poorly last night" and I'll be flooded with a bunch of idiots posting "U MAD?" pictures. Har-har-har... Hilarious!

Check my earlier posts in the thread. Am I mad? Why the f*ck would I be? My team has 5 titles and 7 championship appearances in the past decade alone. They've won it all the past 2 years and are on their way to winning it all again this year. What possible reason would I have to be mad about a fat, bucktoothed, flopper and his bvtthvrt fans? The Celtics have nothing I covet. It's the other way around. Celtic fans mad, and they can suck my hairy LA d*ck.

[Clueless morons posting more "U MAD?" pics in 5... 4... 3... ]

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

the reason he be 15th amongst SFs in dunks is that he plays a lot of minutes. when you get to average or below average SF's they usually platooned in the position with another player so they get like 20-24 mins.

Paul Pierce is close to last in dunks amongst SFs that average over 34 mins.

I'm not disagreeing that pierce is a great player with arsenal of moves but he's not a great athlete compared to guys like dorell wright

I'm just using Dorell Wright as example of not so great player that's a better pure athlete than Paul pierce rite now
    Last edited by STATUTORY; 03-22-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    He really isn't that good of an athlete.. he's just an extremely smart and crafty player and he's very aggressive.

The reason he usually gets by defenders isn't because he has a very quick first step, but it's because defenders have to respect his great midrange game and play him tight because he's a very good shooter. Since he's a strong guy that can dribble with either hand, he can usually get by a defender thats pressing him.
    His athleticism isn't currently far above average but it's above average. Finishing in traffic the way he does requires strength as well as the ability to get over some guys, and the dunk-ons he still delivers are the result of him surprising bigs with how quickly he can get to the basket. His intelligence and skill are very important but they aren't all there is to what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    the reason he be 15th amongst SFs in dunks is that he plays a lot of minutes. when you get to average or below average SF's they usually platooned in the position with another player so they get like 20-24 mins.

Paul Pierce is close to last amongst SFs that average over 35 mins.

I'm not disagreeing that pierce is a great player with arsenal of moves but he's not a great athlete compared to guys like dorell wright
    The guys averaging 35+ mpg are normally the better SFs. And the better SFs normally have better athletic ability. He can't jump like Dorell Wright but can Wright match his size and strength? There's more to it than just being able to dunk from the free throw line or whatever. Pierce has his leaping ability while carrying around 230+ pounds. He has a strength level more like that of a 4 than a three.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Thank you.

The guys averaging 35+ mpg are normally the better SFs. And the better SFs normally have better athletic ability. He can't jump like Dorell Wright but can Wright match his size and strength? There's more to it than just being able to dunk from the free throw line or whatever. Pierce has his leaping ability while carrying around 230+ pounds. He has a strength level more like that of a 4 than a three.
    Pierce just knows how to drop his shoulder into a guy and throw his weight around.. put pierce on the bench. He isn't some world class weight lifter.. in fact the dude isn't that toned at all. He's always been a little chubby and he knows how to throw that weight around. He's aggressive when he drives and he has the size to knock people out of the way. I wouldn't necessarily call that being athletic. He isn't beating a lot of these guys in any speed or quickness drills, or any leaping contests or in any lifting competitions.. he's just a big guy who is a very smart and crafty basketball player.

Pierce just knows how to drop his shoulder into a guy and throw his weight around.. put pierce on the bench. He isn't some world class weight lifter.. in fact the dude isn't that toned at all. He's always been a little chubby and he knows how to throw that weight around. He's aggressive when he drives and he has the size to knock people out of the way. I wouldn't necessarily call that being athletic. He isn't beating a lot of these guys in any speed or quickness drills, or any leaping contests or in any lifting competitions.. he's just a big guy who is a very smart and crafty basketball player.
    A chubby unathletic player could not generate these kinds of highlights. His athleticism is overlooked because there have always been "wow" athletes like Carter, James, McGrady, etc. that would dunk more impressively. But when you compare his athletic ability to the norm, guys like James Posey, Marquis Daniels, Joe Johnson? Pierce excels.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by olddangerfield
    Couldn't be more true. If there was still rep I'd rep you for this one, and I rarely care about rep anyways.

I hate how certain posters on here routinely throw in the word scrub like half the NBA is filled with scrubs. I'd see stuff like Lebron and scrubs vs Lakers, or something like that. Well every one of those scrubs can play basketball an exponential amount of times better than, is an exponential amount of times more athletic than you and knows exponentially more about basketball than you.

Even the players that seem like they have a terrible set of skills (stone hands, terrible handles, poor FT shooting) is exponentially better than even the average high school player at those. Nearly very player who's played in the NBA has been the man of a high school team and has been highly sought after by a major college program. And nearly every player has gone on to perform at those college programs to be one of a very small % of those D1 college players to be selected into the league.

Players like Scalabrine would dominant 99% of the posters on insidehoops on every level on the basketball court. Players like Ben Wallace or Shaq would destroy 99% of the posters on insidehoops in a shooting contest.
    actually it says that the insidehoops community has around 45000 members, if scalabrine can only dominate 99% of them, there are about 450 posters that can beat him?? probably not, more like he'd dominate 100% of posters, and i dont think ben wallace and shaq can beat 99% of posters in a shooting contest either

A chubby unathletic player could not generate these kinds of highlights. His athleticism is overlooked because there have always been "wow" athletes like Carter, James, McGrady, etc. that would dunk more impressively. But when you compare his athletic ability to the norm, guys like James Posey, Marquis Daniels, Joe Johnson? Pierce excels.
    Nah.. pierce is just simply a better player than those guys because he's a better shooter, he's smarter, and he's more skilled.

Joe johnson is a 6'7 230lb toned monster. He can outjump pierce. He can outrun pierce. And I guarantee you he can outlift pierce because he's way more toned at the same weight. Yet pierce is a much better player. It's because he's smarter, craftier/more skilled, and he's more aggressive when he attacks the rim i.e. he goes hard where as a guy like joe johnson usually pulls up after attacking for a short jumper, pierce is more willing to take the contact and try to finish.

Banned

Nah.. pierce is just simply a better player than those guys because he's a better shooter, he's smarter, and he's more skilled.

Joe johnson is a 6'7 230lb toned monster. He can outjump pierce. He can outrun pierce. And I guarantee you he can outlift pierce because he's way more toned at the same weight. Yet pierce is a much better player. It's because he's smarter, craftier/more skilled, and he's more aggressive when he attacks the rim i.e. he goes hard where as a guy like joe johnson usually pulls up after attacking for a short jumper, pierce is more willing to take the contact and try to finish.
    Being toner =/= stronger