Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default The Top Ten REALLY Lost Dunks of the NBA Slam Dunk Contest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oes7nrQcPk

A lot of these are flawed or at least rightfully second tier, but for fans of the contest, some of these tend to fly under the radar and still have something to offer.

Default Re: The Top Ten REALLY Lost Dunks of the NBA Slam Dunk Contest

Rick Davis reverse between dunk was sweet and original... its a shame he had to go after Vince Carter even tho Vince's dunk wasn't all that... Also Jerome keresy dunk was awesome as well

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Skywalker's winning dunk in 89 is Top 3 dunk contest dunk OAT

The two-handed windmill was nice.

There was a dunk which Shawn Kemp did where he threw a long bounce pass alley oop from halfcourt ending up with the most ridicilous "normal" windmill i ever seen, his head was above the rim, snatched the ball and really swung it cleanly around with completely straight hands bringing it from his legs and then *BAM!!!!*, better than any windmill from Dominique as far as i remember, i think this was in 1991, he got a 50 and then that was it, it got completely lost from any type of recognition for some mythical reason..... cant even find it on youtube....
    Last edited by pauk; 10-07-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park alexd's Avatar

and robert pack s 360 was really nice.a 360 is not an easy thing to do.especially if you put power in it too

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    There was a dunk which Shawn Kemp did where he threw a long bounce pass alley oop from halfcourt ending up with the most ridicilous "normal" windmill i ever seen, his head was above the rim, snatched the ball and really swung it cleanly around with completely straight hands bringing it from his legs and then *BAM!!!!*, better than any windmill from Dominique as far as i remember, i think this was in 1991, he got a 50 and then that was it, it got completely lost from any type of recognition for some mythical reason..... cant even find it on youtube....
    You could be thinking of 1991. Here's his bounce windmill from that contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsXa4TSuWCw#t=0m35s. It was solid, but I wasn't as big of a fan of the windmills that tended to splay outward and come from the side.

Considering your description, you might be thinking of the 1990 contest, where Kemp missed a huge bounce windmill, then came back and finished the slam proper while his miss was still being replayed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FX69F05Xb0. Don't worry, TNT never showed a replay of the make, instead opting to point the camera at Kemp for an uncomfortable period of time while he sat in a chair.

That said, no one was really pulling 50's in the 90's. Once they switched over to their tenths-of-a-point system, perfect scores were scarce. In fact, they were pretty rare before that system was implemented too. I think I was watching Cedric Ceballos' 1992 contest and incredibly, his final dunk received a 50. At the time, I believe they said it was just the eighth 50 in contest history up to that point. That would be in contrast to present day, where they're handed out like candy.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-07-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    You could be thinking of 1991. Here's his bounce windmill from that contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsXa4TSuWCw#t=0m35s. It was solid, but I wasn't as big of a fan of the windmills that tended to splay outward and come from the side.

Considering your description, you might be thinking of the 1990 contest, where Kemp missed a huge bounce windmill, then came back and finished the slam proper while his miss was still being replayed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FX69F05Xb0. Don't worry, TNT never showed a replay of the make, instead opting to point the camera at Kemp for an uncomfortable period of time while he sat in a chair.

That said, no one was really pulling 50's in the 90's. Once they switched over to their tenths-of-a-point system, perfect scores were scarce. In fact, they were pretty rare before that system was implemented too. I think I was watching Cedric Ceballos' 1992 contest and incredibly, his final dunk received a 50. At the time, I believe they said it was just the eighth 50 in contest history up to that point. That would be in contrast to present day, where they're handed out like candy.
    Awesome, thanks for that Rake, thats the one in 1990! I was just a toddler back then but i remembered it somewhat, but now thanks to you i remember it all, including that they didnt even show/replay the dunk, did never actually see it lol.... i just could imagine how it looked like considering his misses on the same attempt, all you could then see/hear was *BOOM!* and 1% of footage from the dunk and thats it.... damn shame... perhaps thats the reason behind lack of footage from that dunk, there really was no other camera running?
    Last edited by pauk; 10-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.

I am your soldier!

Larry Johnson got robbed because of the weird rule changes that the guys didn't know about until right before the contest.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Larry Johnson got robbed because of the weird rule changes that the guys didn't know about until right before the contest.
    Merely out of honest curiosity, to what rule change may you be referring?

Some nice gems there.

Orlando Woolridge is probably the most underrated dunker ever. First to do a between-the-legs in the dunk contest (credited to Isaiah Rider a lot which is false) although he didn't put much emphasis into it because back then basketball wasn't much like that, and he was turning people into posters time and time again.

WOW WEE - Larry Johnson winner of the genetic lottery!
    That was more than a dunk, it was a violation of the basic rules of human decency, one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Kenny Smith had crazy hops for a PG.

That Davis dunk is close to JRich's 2-3 years later that won the contest.

And some of these dunks show the importance of the dunker's stylistic approach. The extra flair really can separate a good dunk from a great dunk, even if it's technically the same dunk.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 10-07-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Merely out of honest curiosity, to what rule change may you be referring?
    I haven't watched in a few years but it was something about you only got one miss per round. So if you missed a dunk you're basically f*cked.

Maybe it wasn't a rule change for that year, but I feel like it was.

LJ had the best dunks that year by far, but one in the finals wasn't counted merely because he missed once.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    I haven't watched in a few years but it was something about you only got one miss per round. So if you missed a dunk you're basically f*cked.

Maybe it wasn't a rule change for that year, but I feel like it was.

LJ had the best dunks that year by far, but one in the finals wasn't counted merely because he missed once.
    Ah, gotcha. I agree, I think Johnson probably turned in the best dunks of that competition. If the winner was based upon overall performance, I think he would have won easily. However, he kind of shot himself in the foot in the finals. I'm not sure he finished any of his dunks, even with re-attempts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM_ZOgUG2HI