Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical jump

Decent playground baller Chocogrease's Avatar

Default Vertical jump

Im 13 yrs old, 5'6, 140 lbs., play sf, and azn, which means i have no mad hops.....can someone gimme some tips or advice on how to jump higher (i know there r already like a 1000 threads about this, but i rly need help for personal reasons)

Saw a basketball once

Skip around school as gay as that may sound lol.

HeartHustleHope

im white and 5'3 so i have NO hops..

so i concentrate on other aspects of my game

p.s. im a passing point guard so i don't need to jump high

P-Forty21
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

use ankle weights

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by P-Forty21
    use ankle weights
    i wouldnt suggest this it can be dangerous thats stretching knee ligaments!

P-Forty21
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    i wouldnt suggest this it can be dangerous thats stretching knee ligaments!
    thats if u use heavy ones...use light ones to start off with and as ur jump gets better use heavier ones...

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Chocogrease
    Im 13 yrs old, 5'6, 140 lbs., play sf, and azn, which means i have no mad hops.....can someone gimme some tips or advice on how to jump higher (i know there r already like a 1000 threads about this, but i rly need help for personal reasons)
    right now, don't do anything, apart from normal strenght trainings, with no, absolutely no, overweights.
    your muscles could be reactive enough to catch up with hard training, your tendons and ligamens will not. until you are 16, 17, avoid overweights and weightlifting trainings. they will be one of the best way to increas your jumping strenght, but you have to wait that your connettive tissue is strong enough.
    meanwhile, you have to know that in this period of your life your body has the last years of reactivity to coordination trainings and development.
    right now, you should exercise like hell in coordination and other similar abilities..

a) learn how to jump. jumping is not only strenght and muscles. as for any athlethic activity, it has much to do with technique. A difference of few degrees in the angle of approach, or what you do with your arms while you're about to jump, or how you use you're free leg (the one that leavs first the ground), could mean a great difference in how high you jump. And, right now, you could learn how to jump, and getting too strong would be dangerous. Otherwise, in a few years learning HOW TO will become really harder, but you'll have a stronger body to build muscles on.

b) increas your selfperception in space, your coordination ("juggling") skills.
    If you want to be a fun dunker to watch one day, learn now.. say.. how to dunk with two balls, or other exercise like that. If that's too hard right now, use smaller balls, or lower baskets. If you learn to use well your hang time right now, you'll know how to use it when it'll be longer. If you double your hang time now, and fail to capitalise it, you'll never learn to.

c) the muscles in your feet are important, yet understimated. If you exercise them you'll see an improvement in you bball abilities and dunking as well (and that's easy, feet are so under-used that any walking exercise (walk 30 metres barefoot - on the heels - on the toes - on the outside - on the inside) will improve your feet strenght. Do not, obviously, exaggerate.)
    (ever heard "That guy has slow feet? Well.. feet can be trained like everything else)

So, my suggestion is:

Jump.. with no "tricks" like ankleweights, halfsquat, belts or jackets..
    If you jump with one leg, remember to jump als with the other one, or your simmetry will be badly affected and you could suffer minor but annoying injuries.

If you can, try to watch high-jumpers (with the web, or live if there's anyone near where you live). You could learn how to jump there, even if you have no interest at all for the flopping technique.

Do SIMPLE exercise (like skip and one-leg) on your gym stairs, or wherever you can
    Run sprints up slopes.

These last two are the best way to improve your strenght without affecting your body.

orfeomorfeo

These last two are

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Vertical jump

I have written a program that will help you increase your vertical jump. Check it out on http://verticaljumptraining.blogspot.com
    There is a program for weight trainers and non-weight trainers.

I rule the local playground Sword.Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
    im white and 5'3 so i have NO hops..

so i concentrate on other aspects of my game

p.s. im a passing point guard so i don't need to jump high
    So you do nothing else but pass?
    why not try improving on other things like jumping, running, shooting?

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Sword.Dragons
    So you do nothing else but pass?
    why not try improving on other things like jumping, running, shooting?

I don't know if this is the reason why he did this, but there's a full life to increase conditional abilities (Strenght, stamina, speed).. but when you're young you're much more receptive for coordinative abilities... so it's a good choice to improve now passing, game-reading, reactivity, (shooting, too..) and wait when you're body will be fully developed to train those other abilities.

Saw a basketball once

Im 5"9 and 15. Iv been using ankle weights whilst using jump rope, jump squats and leg curls. In two weeks iv increase my vert by 4 inches. Should i continue this routine?

Saw a basketball once

Hey i would like to ask what do you think about my measurements i am 6 ft 3 inches tall barefoot,wingspan is 6 ft 7 inches and my standing reach is 8 ft 3 inches,are my wingspan and reach good and btw i'm 18 yrs old??? thx in advance

Saw a basketball once

orfeomorfeo-ita, I respectfully disagree about weight training. There is nothing wrong with it at that age, but he will need good supervision as to not hurt himself.

In general though, check out this simple article: Improve Vertical – A Beginner’s Guide to Vertical Jumping Training

You can replace ROFD training mentioned in there w/ things such as box jumps, squat jumps, or similar exercises that require a lot less technique.

I do not recommend using ankle weights simply because they add stress to your joints.

At this point in time, since you are at a young age....
    You can do nothing about it.

For those who do ankle weights, overtime the anterior interior,and deltoid ligaments will have an increased risk of tearing.

Ankle weights are used by uneducated athletes, who think that ankle weights are the magic pill to jumping higher are sadly mistaken.

Unless you want to be hurting in the near future, I suggest everyone stop using ankle weights especially jumping on them

Quote Originally Posted by Gnova
    At this point in time, since you are at a young age....
    You can do nothing about it.

For those who do ankle weights, overtime the anterior interior,and deltoid ligaments will have an increased risk of tearing.

Ankle weights are used by uneducated athletes, who think that ankle weights are the magic pill to jumping higher are sadly mistaken.

Unless you want to be hurting in the near future, I suggest everyone stop using ankle weights especially jumping on them
    You are 100% right. You aren't supposed to use ankle weights for those exercises. You'll injure yourself. Ankle weights are for easy and simple drills around the rim, not for jump rope.