Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Default Re: Which center in NBA history would be the biggest defensive challenge for Shaq?

Banned

Default Re: Which center in NBA history would be the biggest defensive challenge for Shaq?

Wilt is the only center with the natural strength and size to have a chance vs Prime Shaquille O'Neal

Tired of seeing Thurmond get posted as some ironman. Its always that same pic too. Just because the guy is vascular doesn't mean hes stronger than Shaq . Wilt and Shaq are in a class of their own in terms of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Ledouche
    Wilt would be the best at guarding him, but I don't think he'd be able to hold Shaq under 50%. I don't think any player in history could do that.
    In 1999 playoffs, Shaq scored on 49.3% against the Spurs.
    In 2002 playoffs, Shaq scored on 44.7% against the Spurs.

Duncan-DRob was a great duo defensively. While holding Shaq under 50% is quite tough, it's not completely impossible.

I am your soldier!

A real prime Sabonis or Wilt would be the best. But if he was called for offensive fouls a lot more could make it competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    Tired of seeing Thurmond get posted as some ironman. Its always that same pic too.
    That's not the pic that's always posted, this is:

Sabonis in his prime.

I'd also love to see how Shaq would fare against flat footed, immovable beast Aaron Gray. LOL...
    Dude is as slow as they come, both in the head and with his feet, but he is immovable. Strong as an axe.

Banned

Greg Ostertag guarded Shaq 1v1 better than any other player. He was a tree, a 7'2 tree

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Tim Duncan was the only player I saw during Shaq's prime who could somewhat effectively play him 1 on 1.
    I remember Shaq shitting on Duncan 1v1. Shaq only had trouble with the D-Rob/Duncan double team but 1v1 he easily scored on either of them.

That's why Popovich invented the hack a shaq, conventional methods didn't work.

LOL@ idiots saying Hakeem was a better player.

He knew more moves, but also he took more moves and spent more energy to accomplish what Shaq could simply by bullying his defender and putting up a baby hook

focused and in shape derrick coleman.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    Wilt is the only center with the natural strength and size to have a chance vs Prime Shaquille O'Neal

Tired of seeing Thurmond get posted as some ironman. Its always that same pic too. Just because the guy is vascular doesn't mean hes stronger than Shaq . Wilt and Shaq are in a class of their own in terms of strength.
    [IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    I am posting the aggregated stats of Kareem against Nate Thurmond during the period 1969 - 1973 season by season, as in that period both players met 3 times in the playoffs and in total of 34 times (including the regular season meetings):

1969 - 1970 (Kareem's rookie season) 3 games - reg.season

Kareem - 42.0 mpg 21.67 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 4.0 apg, 0.348 FG/FGA

Nate ---- 46.7 mpg 20.67 ppg, 17.0 rpg, 3.3 apg, 0.490 FG/FGA

1970 - 1971 6 games - reg.season

Kareem - 26.67 ppg, 14.7 rpg, 0.484 FG/FGA

Nate ---- 23.83 ppg, 11.0 rpg, 0.477 FG/FGA

1970 - 1971 5 games - playoffs

Kareem - 39.2 mpg 27.8 ppg, 15.6 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.486 FG/FGA

Nate ---- 38.4 mpg 17.60 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.0 apg, 0.371 FG/FGA

1971 - 1972 3 games - reg.season

Kareem - 24.00 ppg, 16.3 rpg, 0.441 FG/FGA

Nate ---- 16.33 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 0.260 FG/FGA

1972 - 1973 5 games - playoffs

Kareem - 47.0 mpg 22.8 ppg, 19.0 rpg, 5.4 apg, 0.405 FG/FGA

Nate ---- 46.0 mpg 25.40 ppg, 17.8 rpg, 5.2 apg, 0.434 FG/FGA

1972 - 1973 6 games - reg.season

Kareem - 25.83 ppg, 13.7 rpg, 0.488 FG/FGA

Nate ---- 13.67 ppg, 15.0 rpg, 0.367 FG/FGA

1972 - 1973 6 games - playoffs

Kareem - 46.0 mpg 22.83 ppg, 16.2 rpg, 2.8 apg, 0.428 FG/FGA

Nate ---- 42.5 mpg 13.5 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 3.2 apg, 0.423 FG/FGA

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Tim Duncan was the only player I saw during Shaq's prime who could somewhat effectively play him 1 on 1.
    u forgetting someone

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

I don't think there is anyone thruout the history of the game can effectively stop Shaq, look what he did to a 7'2 4 times DOY Mutombo.

However I do believe there are many legendary centers who would give Shaq fits on the offensive end, Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt, etc.

7-time NBA All-Star

I'm really not sure a prime Sabonis would be more effective in limiting Shaq's offense than 2000 Sabonis was. There are 2 reasons for this. One being that Sabonis was about as heavy as Shaq by that point, and another being that very rarely do player's devote as much energy to stopping a star player when they're also relied on to be a first or second option. A prime Sabonis is likely a 20+ ppg scorer who would have the offense run through him a lot due to his passing. With that in mind, he'd have to conserve a bit more energy and foul trouble would become a much bigger issue. This does go both ways though as Shaq would have to work harder defending Sabonis in the post, in addition to Sabonis hitting the outside shot, which he was already able to exploit vs Shaq.

This is a big misconception I see with fans who are obsessed with individual match ups is the belief that a certain player held his own when he was old against another player in his prime so that means he'd dominate them if both were in their primes. Often times, it's a case of the older player really getting up for that one game(most players who were former greats still have nights where they can play like superstars, the difference is often not being able to do it on a consistent basis) and the other factor being a reduced offensive role which can allow your focus to be more on the defensive end. Once you're offense isn't as important and you're not relied on for 35+ minutes, fouls aren't as much of an issue, but if you're expected to play big minutes and produce like a star offensively then you really can't afford to take as many risks.

I would put Sabonis as one of the best I've seen at limiting Shaq with the others being legit 7 footers also up around 300 pounds or more(Ostertag and Longley) but Sabonis was only a part of Portland's defense vs Shaq. He was big enough to prevent Shaq from getting deep position as frequently, which allowed Pippen to double on the catch. Take away Pippen and Portland's defensive strategy and Shaq actually dominated Sabonis 2 years in a row in the playoffs('97 and '98) with the latter year being a season Sabonis put up 16/10/3 over 32 mpg in as opposed to the 12/8/1, 26 mpg he averaged during the 2000 season.

Yao

I don't get picked last at the park anymore KB24's Avatar

Arvydas Sabonis

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I'm really not sure a prime Sabonis would be more effective in limiting Shaq's offense than 2000 Sabonis was. There are 2 reasons for this. One being that Sabonis was about as heavy as Shaq by that point, and another being that very rarely do player's devote as much energy to stopping a star player when they're also relied on to be a first or second option. A prime Sabonis is likely a 20+ ppg scorer who would have the offense run through him a lot due to his passing. With that in mind, he'd have to conserve a bit more energy and foul trouble would become a much bigger issue. This does go both ways though as Shaq would have to work harder defending Sabonis in the post, in addition to Sabonis hitting the outside shot, which he was already able to exploit vs Shaq.

This is a big misconception I see with fans who are obsessed with individual match ups is the belief that a certain player held his own when he was old against another player in his prime so that means he'd dominate them if both were in their primes. Often times, it's a case of the older player really getting up for that one game(most players who were former greats still have nights where they can play like superstars, the difference is often not being able to do it on a consistent basis) and the other factor being a reduced offensive role which can allow your focus to be more on the defensive end. Once you're offense isn't as important and you're not relied on for 35+ minutes, fouls aren't as much of an issue, but if you're expected to play big minutes and produce like a star offensively then you really can't afford to take as many risks.

I would put Sabonis as one of the best I've seen at limiting Shaq with the others being legit 7 footers also up around 300 pounds or more(Ostertag and Longley) but Sabonis was only a part of Portland's defense vs Shaq. He was big enough to prevent Shaq from getting deep position as frequently, which allowed Pippen to double on the catch. Take away Pippen and Portland's defensive strategy and Shaq actually dominated Sabonis 2 years in a row in the playoffs('97 and '98) with the latter year being a season Sabonis put up 16/10/3 over 32 mpg in as opposed to the 12/8/1, 26 mpg he averaged during the 2000 season.
    Well f*cking said. Repped.

Do you think this complicates the so-called "bridge" argument (i.e. Kareem played against Wilt and guys like Hakeem/Ewing)?