Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chances Utah takes Stauskas at #5

Let's say the top 3 go as expected and exum goes 4. Is there any chance Utah has stauskas in the next tier? If they don't see smart as a 2, and don't see randle as a great reason to give up on the idea of kanter and favors learning to play together is there a chance? He's the perfect fit for Utah if they weren't picking at 5 right?

Default Re: Chances Utah takes Stauskas at #5

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Let's say the top 3 go as expected and exum goes 4. Is there any chance Utah has stauskas in the next tier? If they don't see smart as a 2, and don't see randle as a great reason to give up on the idea of kanter and favors learning to play together is there a chance? He's the perfect fit for Utah if they weren't picking at 5 right?

I'd say 0%.

Can we do less then 0%.

I like Stauskas...but not with the 5th pick.

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

He's white so 100% chance

Not airballing my layups anymore

I think they gotta give it up on Kanter, sure he still young but his lack of rebounding and defensive awareness is ridiculous. Even on offence he gets lost out of position. Sure, sometimes he puts up good numbers in a few games a season but he doesnt seem to have it, hard to explain. I see a Javale Mcgee, or Branden Wright in him, someone who has the gifts but cant put it together in starters minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde

I like Stauskas...but not with the 5th pick.
    The easy out.

Who could trade up to allow stauskas to Utah a bit later?

I am not a believer in Trey Burke as a guy you want to have as a franchise pg, but they gave up a lot to get him so they must. Would they go Smart and put Burke in a 6th man/backup pg role?

If not stauskas, who would they take at 5

NBA rookie of the year

Minnesota will take him

The easy out.

Who could trade up to allow stauskas to Utah a bit later?

I am not a believer in Trey Burke as a guy you want to have as a franchise pg, but they gave up a lot to get him so they must. Would they go Smart and put Burke in a 6th man/backup pg role?

If not stauskas, who would they take at 5
    Anyone who is projected in the top 10.

Gordon, Randle, Vonleh, Garry Harris, Smart?

You're leaving a lot of talent on the table if you take Nik at #5

Quote Originally Posted by WTFdidNBAbigsGO
    I think they gotta give it up on Kanter, sure he still young but his lack of rebounding and defensive awareness is ridiculous. Even on offence he gets lost out of position. Sure, sometimes he puts up good numbers in a few games a season but he doesnt seem to have it, hard to explain. I see a Javale Mcgee, or Branden Wright in him, someone who has the gifts but cant put it together in starters minutes.

He averages 7.5 rpg in 26.7 mpg. What more do you want? That's over 10 per 36

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS

He averages 7.5 rpg in 26.7 mpg. What more do you want? That's over 10 per 36
    lol... if you have watched games or heard any Utah fans there have been times when they complain how he misses easy rebounds. Roy Hibberts is 8.1 and past 2 season was 10.1 and 10.4 and everybody complains because he misses plenty of them. That dont mean shi*. Still misses easy rebounds and easily finds himself out of position to miss those 50/50 ones. u jus bin served home skillet

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Bricklayer's Avatar

I don't see the Jazz taking Stauskas, McDermott, Harris, or any other shooter that high in the draft, even though they do need a shooter. While those guys can shoot, none of them are "go-to" shooters. (McDermott might've been in college, but let's face it - he's a spot-up shooter in the NBA.) What the Jazz need most is a No. 1 option. Gordon Hayward proved last year he's best as a 2nd (or even better) a 3rd option.

Which is why I think the Jazz will actually be aggressive and trade into the top 3. Jabari is really the kind of player Utah should be going after. He can shoot AND be the guy who creates his own offense. I don't think they'll give up just yet on the Kanter/Favors pairing. Kanter didn't play in college, and then he played sparingly behind Big Al and Paul Millsap his first couple seasons. He's really only had one year to be "the man." He has one more year before his contract is up, so the Jazz can wait and make a decision then.

If they Jazz CAN'T trade up in the draft, they might try to trade the 5th pick for a solid veteran and try to get their go-to guy later. If they KEEP the 5th pick, I think they'll go with Randle, which puts the pressure on Kanter to perform next year. If not, they'll trade him for a serviceable guard next year.

I've been praising this kid all year and truly believe he has a bright NBA career ahead of him. I see the appeal and feel that he would compliment the ambiance in Utah perfectly, but taking him top 5 would be a gross over-reach in my opinion. In a deep class such as this, taking Nick that early would be far too heavy a gamble...

Very good NBA starter

They should trade up to get Parker, but I love Stauskas' game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer
    I don't see the Jazz taking Stauskas, McDermott, Harris, or any other shooter that high in the draft, even though they do need a shooter. While those guys can shoot, none of them are "go-to" shooters. (McDermott might've been in college, but let's face it - he's a spot-up shooter in the NBA.) What the Jazz need most is a No. 1 option. Gordon Hayward proved last year he's best as a 2nd (or even better) a 3rd option.

Which is why I think the Jazz will actually be aggressive and trade into the top 3. Jabari is really the kind of player Utah should be going after. He can shoot AND be the guy who creates his own offense. I don't think they'll give up just yet on the Kanter/Favors pairing. Kanter didn't play in college, and then he played sparingly behind Big Al and Paul Millsap his first couple seasons. He's really only had one year to be "the man." He has one more year before his contract is up, so the Jazz can wait and make a decision then.

If they Jazz CAN'T trade up in the draft, they might try to trade the 5th pick for a solid veteran and try to get their go-to guy later. If they KEEP the 5th pick, I think they'll go with Randle, which puts the pressure on Kanter to perform next year. If not, they'll trade him for a serviceable guard next year.
    I agree.

I see Utah and Philly working out a deal for Philly to drop to 5 and gain #23 and possibly another protected 1st rounder so that Utah can take Parker at #3. Not saying Parker isn't a good fit for Philly like he is for Utah, but Philly seems to be all about getting as much talent as they can and the gap between Parker and a guy like Randle at #5 is not that wide.

Utah has to do what it can for a Franchise player while it seems pretty clear off of last season's production that MCW will be Philly's Franchise player and they need to get athletic bigs and a better 2 guard around him.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    They should trade up to get Parker, but I love Stauskas' game.
    Who out of the top 4 would want to trade down? There's a pretty clear talent drop off after Exum..

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Bricklayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    I agree.

I see Utah and Philly working out a deal for Philly to drop to 5 and gain #23 and possibly another protected 1st rounder so that Utah can take Parker at #3. Not saying Parker isn't a good fit for Philly like he is for Utah, but Philly seems to be all about getting as much talent as they can and the gap between Parker and a guy like Randle at #5 is not that wide.

Utah has to do what it can for a Franchise player while it seems pretty clear off of last season's production that MCW will be Philly's Franchise player and they need to get athletic bigs and a better 2 guard around him.
    Yep. I think Philly is the most likely trade partner, especially given Kevin O'Connor's connections with the Sixers (he's not the GM anymore, but still has a role with the Jazz). Those two teams have already made several deals because of O'Connor alone. The Jazz made a similar deal in '05 by trading the 6th and (I think) 26th pick for Portland's 3rd pick to get Deron Williams. If the Sixers are purely looking to stockpile talent, they could get a nice player at No. 5, and a decent player with the Jazz's 23rd pick. Utah also has an early pick in the 2nd round they could throw in as well.

Milbuck, I think any of the top 3 teams would have to consider trading down if the price is right. I've heard even Cleveland is open to trading the top pick and both Milwaukee and Philly need a lot of depth. Stockpiling picks (which are cheaper solutions than pricey free agents) makes the most sense when you've got a group of young players you're waiting on to develop.